New! Octave MRE220SE ... I am in love!

nunobrazuna

Oct 23, 2019
I would like to announce to the community that I am in love again. And I was already convinced that those times of passion had already passed.
The big culprits are the new Ocatve MRE220SE amps and the HP700SE Pre.

Background

I've always been a passionate fan of valves, especially single-ended amplifiers (SET).

For years I had great SET amplifiers from Wavac, Viva, Aries Cerat and out of prejudice, I always avoided push pull or solid state amplifiers.

However, in 2021 I had the great opportunity to buy TIDAL Contriva G2 speakers at a great price and I thought it was time to try a solid state amplifier and put an end to the paranoia that comes with always having to maintain a valve amplifier.

After 2 or 3 experiences, I ended up purchasing the Gryphon Antileon Evo (class A), which went very well with the Tidal.

Although the sound was very good, and with some tube sound characteristics that I like, I felt like I had lost something and even some pleasure in listening to music (I know it's silly, but that's what I felt).

It was then that at the beginning of this year I decided that I had to go back to the valves, but I had a small problem. While Tidal aren't the most difficult speakers to amplify, SET amps were out of the question.

I was in a dilemma. Either I would also change speakers, or I would have to put prejudice aside and listen to Tidal with a push-pull valve amplifier.

In the distant past I had already heard some push-pull amplifiers, such as Audio Research and Jadis, with 6550/KT88 valves, but always with unsatisfactory results.

However, my distributor insisted on trying the new Octave MRE220SE amp / HP700SE preamp.
Not very convinced, I decided to try them at home.

The Sound

The Octave MRE220SE are push pull amplifiers, with KT150 power tubes with a total output of 220 W at 4 ohms. Enough for my speakers (Tidal recommends 150 W minimum).

My system also consists of the DAC Aqua Formula Rev2 and the Antipodes Oladra streamer.

First impressions were in a awe. I immediately noticed a more open and transparent sound than I was used to hearing in the last two and a half years.

The soundstage was holographic with great focus and precision. The voices more real and present in the room. The highs more natural and the bass with natural texture, but tight as I didn't expect from a tube amplifier.

In comparison, the Gryphon has a more big "wall of sound" presentation, but a little "muddy" in highs, and the soundstage a little flat.

Once I got used to this drastic change in sound presentation, I started listening with a more critical sense.

I have little to criticize, but at times, in some average recordings, the upper midrange can sound a little harsh and some female voices a little hissy.

Nothing to be worried about, as from my experience in the past, tube rolling would eliminate these small flaws.

And so it was. I replaced the installed russian drive tubes (12AU7) with NOS valves from Amperex and RCA, and the sound became even more natural and the harshness disappeared definitively.

Conclusion

So for the last few weeks I have been in heaven.

Listening to Yael Naim on her live album "Live Solo in Paris", I was literally transported to the Saint Eustache church in Paris where the concert was recorded! Simply magnificent!

John Coltrane or Miles Davis' saxophone has already materialized in front of me. Magic!

Kurt Wagner from Lambchop sang just for me several times. Impressive!

And other sublime experiences that the Octave have given me since they entered my room.

In conclusion, I can say without any doubt that the sound of my current system is the best I have ever heard, regardless of the price.

And for the price they cost, the Octave MRE220SE / HP700SE are a real bargain, as I'm almost certain that up to €50,000 there will be few amplifiers that can compete with this masterpiece.

Congratulations to Andreas Hofmann, the boss and chief designer of the Octave.

Last edited:

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
@nunobrazuna Since you have tried many top tier tube amps, could you please help compare the sound of Octave to Wavac and Viva? I'm looking to upgrade my tube amp as well :)

nunobrazuna

Oct 23, 2019
@nunobrazuna Since you have tried many top tier tube amps, could you please help compare the sound of Octave to Wavac and Viva? I'm looking to upgrade my tube amp as well :)
Hello,

I had the Viva Solista and the Wavac 805.
For me, the Wavac is superior to Viva and I have good memories of those times (at that time I switched from Viva to Wavac and compared the two side by side).

Viva sounds beautiful and holographic, but homogenize the sound a little, and all recordings have the same characteristics.

The Wacac is more neutral with better dynamics than the Viva (20w against 50w).

The Octave is my first push-pull and I honestly wasn't expecting this level of sound quality at all, as I've always been obsessed with SET amps.

The Octave MRE220SE can do almost everything the Wavac/Viva did in the treble and midrange, but with a much better bass, transparency and dynamics. And can play virtually with any speaker.

Another very important thing...the Octave is incredibly robust and seems to me to be a product capable of working flawlessly, only needing to change the tubes when they are at the end of their life.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile

Solotov

Jan 17, 2024
-
Hello,

I had the Viva Solista and the Wavac 805.
For me, the Wavac is superior to Viva and I have good memories of those times (at that time I switched from Viva to Wavac and compared the two side by side).

The Octave is my first push-pull and I honestly wasn't expecting this level of sound quality at all, as I've always been obsessed with SET amps.

The Octave MRE220SE can do almost everything the Wavac/Viva did in the midrange and transparency, but with much superior dynamics.

Another very important thing...the Octave is incredibly robust and seems to me to be a product capable of working flawlessly, only needing to change the tubes when they are at the end of their life.
Thank you for your comparison. I’m also obsessed with SET amp. Guess I’ll have to give push-pull a try :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Which Aries Cerat amp did you have?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Aries Cerat Concero 25 with Incito S preamp ... very good sound but at the time not the best with my Tidal speakers (only 25w is low for my speakers).
I really wonder how it would have sounded with the Conceros 65.
I bet that would have been awesome :eek:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
For years I had great SET amplifiers from Wavac, Viva, Aries Cerat and out of prejudice, I always avoided push pull or solid state amplifiers.

The SET path is treacherous , filled with roadblocks landmines and potholes :) , happy for you you found the right path . ;)
Try Convergent as well if you have the chance which is also a great option

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I would like to announce to the community that I am in love again. And I was already convinced that those times of passion had already passed.
The big culprits are the new Ocatve MRE220SE amps and the HP700SE Pre.

Background

I've always been a passionate fan of valves, especially single-ended amplifiers (SET).

However, in 2021 I had the great opportunity to buy TIDAL Contriva G2 speakers at a great price and I thought it was time to try a solid state amplifier and put an end to the paranoia that comes with always having to maintain a valve amplifier.

After 2 or 3 experiences, I ended up purchasing the Gryphon Antileon Evo (class A), which went very well with the Tidal.

Although the sound was very good, and with some tube sound characteristics that I like, I felt like I had lost something and even some pleasure in listening to music (I know it's silly, but that's what I felt).

It was then that at the beginning of this year I decided that I had to go back to the valves, but I had a small problem. While Tidal aren't the most difficult speakers to amplify, SET amps were out of the question.

I was in a dilemma. Either I would also change speakers, or I would have to put prejudice aside and listen to Tidal with a push-pull valve amplifier.

In the distant past I had already heard some push-pull amplifiers, such as Audio Research and Jadis, with 6550/KT88 valves, but always with unsatisfactory results.

However, my distributor insisted on trying the new Octave MRE220SE amp / HP700SE preamp.
Not very convinced, I decided to try them at home.

The Sound

The Octave MRE220SE are push pull amplifiers, with KT150 power tubes with a total output of 220 W at 4 ohms. Enough for my speakers (Tidal recommends 150 W minimum).

My system also consists of the DAC Aqua Formula Rev2 and the Antipodes Oladra streamer.

First impressions were in a awe. I immediately noticed a more open and transparent sound than I was used to hearing in the last two and a half years.

The soundstage was holographic with great focus and precision. The voices more real and present in the room. The highs more natural and the bass with natural texture, but tight as I didn't expect from a tube amplifier.

In comparison, the Gryphon has a more big "wall of sound" presentation, but a little "muddy" in highs, and the soundstage a little flat.

Once I got used to this drastic change in sound presentation, I started listening with a more critical sense.

I have little to criticize, but at times, in some average recordings, the upper midrange can sound a little harsh and some female voices a little hissy.

Nothing to be worried about, as from my experience in the past, tube rolling would eliminate these small flaws.

And so it was. I replaced the installed russian drive tubes (12AU7) with NOS valves from Amperex and RCA, and the sound became even more natural and the harshness disappeared definitively.

Conclusion

So for the last few weeks I have been in heaven.

Listening to Yael Naim on her live album "Live Solo in Paris", I was literally transported to the Saint Eustache church in Paris where the concert was recorded! Simply magnificent!

John Coltrane or Miles Davis' saxophone has already materialized in front of me. Magic!

Kurt Wagner from Lambchop sang just for me several times. Impressive!

And other sublime experiences that the Octave have given me since they entered my room.

In conclusion, I can say without any doubt that the sound of my current system is the best I have ever heard, regardless of the price.

And for the price they cost, the Octave MRE220SE / HP700SE are a real bargain, as I'm almost certain that up to €50,000 there will be few amplifiers that can compete with this masterpiece.

Congratulations to Andreas Hofmann, the boss and chief designer of the Octave.

Congratulations on your new Octave preamp and amps!

I have Octave amplification myself:
Octave HP 700 preamp
Octave RE 320 stereo amp

(See my signature for the rest of my system.)

I am also very happy with my Octave combination. While I have heard several SETs and liked the sound, I have yet to discover the alleged magic of SETs. The purity of midrange is supposed to be their strength, but I have yet to hear better vocals, for example, than through the Octave on great recordings.

I did exchange the KT 150 tubes in the power amp for KT 120s which I prefer.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing