Push-Pull or Single-Ended Triode? YOUR EARS, YOUR MUSIC, YOUR CHOICE!

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016

Push-Pull or Single-Ended Triode?

YOUR EARS, YOUR MUSIC, YOUR CHOICE!

Our physical characteristics and our preferences, our tastes, determine many important aspects of our lives, affecting our choices in a wide variety of ways. For example, we all hear and listen differently, and we all have our music preferences, and these personal, music listening-related capacities, traits, likes and dislikes, send us one direction or another when selecting audio gear. Some most like solid-state, while others prefer vacuum tube-based circuits. Among the latter, where we are when we’re talking about Allnic products, some prefer the sound of one kind of power tube and circuit, others something different.

M-2500 Push-Pull Monoblocks (300B version)

Fortunately, KS Park of Allnic understands all of these, and over more than 30 years in the industry has produced a wide range of products among the best of their types, giving us an outstanding number of superb choices. In the last couple of years, Allnic introduced two models of both Push-Pull and Single-Ended Triode (SET) monoblocks that not only give us the choice between those two types of circuits, but also among a range of power tubes.

A-2500 SET monoblocks (845 version) - Now discontinued, see your regional representative for the remaining stock.

Regardless of which appeals to an individual, one can be certain that what the amplifer of one’s choice will do is make REAL MUSIC at home.

The power amplifiers discussed here and shown above are the A-2500 SET and M-2500 Push-Pull monoblocks.

You probably noticed some similarities in appearance between the A-2500 and M-2500. Most obviously, the A-2500 and M-2500 monoblocks share the same chassis – to which the number “2500” refers. The casework and size are the same, and the monoblocks of each pair are mirror images of each other. So, what do the “A” vs. “M” designations signify? Allnic uses the “M” to designate “push-pull” circuit designs, while “A” has been the designation for SET amps. In short, then, the M-2500 and the A-2500 share the same chassis, but the M-2500 is a push-pull amplifier while the A-2500 is a SET amplifier.

They look similar. Are there other similarities? What are the differences?

M-2500 Monoblocks:
Push-Pull with choice of 300B, PX25 or KT150 power tubes

I have owned many tube amplifier designs over the years, and historically the push-pull type has never been my favorite. Each design approach has its strengths and weaknesses. The “power-tube flexible” M-2500, though, has hit the sweet spot between SET and typical push-pull amplifiers: it maintains the micro detailing, textural and overall finesse across the midrange that SET designs are known for while providing the dynamics, slam factor and extended and focused bass of a push-pull amp.

M-2500 - rear panel view

Bass control with a pentode push-pull presents with optimal accuracy. I suspect the SET characteristics can be attributed to the direct-heated vacuum tube rectification. In the M-2500, an NOS 5U4G or 5U4GB full-wave rectifier tube replaces the semiconductor diode in the rectification circuit used in the M-3000 MK3 and Allnic’s other traditional push-pull amplifiers.

What the M-2500 provides is the power and dynamism of the Push-Pull amplifier combined with more than just a touch of the spaciousness, and 3D solidity and imaging typical of SET amplifiers – maybe not quite so surprising with the 300B or PX25 power tubes one can choose (30 and 20 watts output, respectively), but more so with the KT170 option – at 120 watts output! This is the new M-2500 V2 redesign in parallel with the A-2000 V3 stereo amplifier and M-3000 V3 Monoblock amplifier.

I’m not alone in my assessment:

The M-2500s passed all tests with flying colours. Simply, they allowed the components upstream to sing & play with abandon.

Read the complete review to discover why Audiophilia’s Anthony Kershaw awarded the KT150 version of the M-2500 monoblocks - a Star Component Award.

https://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2020/4/22/allnic-audio-m-2500-monoblock-amplifiers

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016

A-2500 Monoblocks:
Single-Ended Triode (SET) with choice of 845 or 211 power tubes

The A-2500 possess all the positive, well-loved, sound quality characteristics of the SET amplifier, a 3D and almost tactile soundstage, with a very spacious, airy, detailed, and outstandingly musical and emotionally engaging presentation. Unlike many SET amps, however, the A-2500 has incredible drive – a feature of KS Park’s circuit design which pairs tubes (input, driver, and output – and in the case of these two models, rectifiers) and Allnic factory manufactured permalloy-based output transformers to perfection. With either of the classic 211 or the 845 (both with 20 watts output) combined with an NOS 5R4WGA rectifier, the powerful, articulate, and detailed bass presentation in no way leaves me wanting. The 845’s low-frequency robustness is on par with my favorite power tube’s, the PX25 (an option for the M-2500).

A-2500 with 211 power tube

As the M-2500 exhibits a good dose of the “magic” of SET amps, the A-2500 has speed, dynamics, and rhythmic propulsion more than just a bit reminiscent of what is commonly associated with Push-Pull amps only. With the A-2500, prepare to be surprised by the excellence of the expected SET sound - and the unexpected benefits of real power-drive.

A-2500 – rear panel view

The A-2500 and M-2500 each have all the typical positive qualities of the type of circuit they employ but with sound quality characteristics that in many ways give us the best of both. They differ in many ways, but as I noted at the beginning of this post, what they can both deliver is exceptional musicality.

Which kind of musical “reality” do you prefer? The choice is yours!

I should add that Allnic also makes the A-5000 Direct-Heated Triode (DHT) 300B monoblocks. (This unit has been redesigned and is the only current Single-ended Triode amplifier manufactured in 2024.)

A-5000 DHT monoblocks

A-5000 DHT features Allnic In-house manufactured HL2 and RS242 triodes!

These 10 watt output SET monoblocks have a different chassis from the A-2500/M-2500 (hence the “5000” designation), but what really “sets” the A-5000 apart is the use of all DHT tubes, some quite rare. Consequently, it is a unique, very “purist”, and exquisite sounding product, the very best of the SET sound.

To ensure supply, Allnic is now producing - in-house - stable, reliable and beautiful sounding HL2 and RS242 tubes, the input and driver tubes in the A-5000.

Yet another choice...

Here is a summary of the differences between the M-2500 and A-2500, and of the range of tube type/output power available for each.

M-2500 Monoblock Amplifier (Configuration at the factory only):

PX25
- 1st Stage 5654, 2nd Stage 12A4, 5U4G/GB Rectifier and PX25 x 2 power tube. 20W Continuous. Triodes in Push-Pull configuration.

300B - 1st Stage 6485, 2nd Stage 12A4, 5U4G/GB Rectifier and 300B x 2 power tube. 30W Continuous. Triodes in Push-Pull configuration.

KT170 - 1st Stage 5654, 2nd Stage 6S4, 5U4G/GB Rectifier and KT170 x 2. 120W Continuous. Pentodes (Beam-tetrodes) in Push-Pull configuration.

A-2500 Monoblock Amplifier (Configuration at the factory only):

- 1st Stage 6CM7, 5R4WGA Rectifier and 211 x 1 power tube. 20W Continuous Pure SET design.

845 - 1st Stage 6DR7, 5R4WGA Rectifier and 845 x 1 power tube. 20W Continuous Pure SET design.

With the individual tube biasing, pairing is not necessary. Allnic circuit designs do not overdrive their tubes, and they tend to last a very long time. The M-2500 and A-2500 amps appear to retain this benefit.

To give you at least a rough idea of which of the “2500” monoblock amps might suit your requirements for output power, you can find a handy calculator for amplifier power requirements for various speaker sensitivities and SPL at:

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators#amp_power_required

Whatever choice you make, I am convinced you won’t be disappointed. Both monoblock amplifiers are available with approximately a two-week lead time to delivery.

2024 MRSP: $19,500 USD.

(A-5000 DHT Monoblock Amplifiers: 2024 MSRP $25,950)

Allnic Product Manual Page

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello ketcham,

What about the A-10000 PSET?

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
T-1610 tubes are very delicate and expensive. I read a lot about this particular amplifier, but only a handful were made. The delicacy (and I anticipate scarcity) was and remains its Achilles. Does anyone other than KRON manufacture them? The question I asked myself is whether all that current is even necessary. The Allnic Titans are also powerful but expensive and sometimes frustrating to maintain. For the M-3000 v3 monos, I have not encountered an inefficient speaker that those amps struggle with, and they remain reliable.

Regarding the PSET design - it is an exceedingly difficult circuit to design. My experience with the A-6000 PSET is a skewing of the midrange and shifting to a single-bulb SET brought out amazing detail--and emotion - absolutely engaging.

The A-10,000 have been discontinued for some time.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you. I did not realize it was discontinued.

It still appears on the Allnic Audio website.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I only know of two sets in N. America. One is often up for sale over the years and is currently for sale on Audiogon. The tube is very very delicate - I have heard of failures from shipping. Is Kron even willing to manufacture the tubes?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One is often up for sale over the years and is currently for sale on Audiogon.
I know this pair of amplifiers. I inquired about it for a while.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
They once made a singular tube version of this model - a truely powerful SET! If I were to invest in this design, that is the amp I would purchase. One needs to consider the tube it uses risks becoming extinct.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing