Which DAC just for DSD?

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Roch, the Lampizator does not use tubes for "tubiness". Read the interview he gave to www.monoandstereo.com to see his design rationale.

Indeed, his whole approach to the DSD Dac is about the elegance of a LPF design.

"Why tubes in the audio path?

I have no particular attachment to tubes. If the parrot guano gave better results in signal amplification, [...] "

Hi Wisnon,

I do have particular attachment to tubes... Never tried parrot guano!...

My question to Bruce B went because is not the same (at least to me) to listen by some tubes in the chain than all SS.

It was not a captive question, but only to know if he had the chance to listen a SS DAC with some tube gear in the chain.

Today "tubiness" in modern designs is not the same as the old one. I owned a Conrad Johnson MV45, with EL34 I began to mourn, thanks to his sweet midrange. Do not think I can bear today.

There is an option in the selection of the buffer tubes, then why is this option? Also in the caps... You know what I mean.

You know also my high interest in the Lampi, but my big problem is I never listened to it, and because where I live is very difficult to do it, I had planned to get some recent audio show, but is not the same, thanks to the crowd, and some hotel rooms, far away in acoustics from a decent listening room.

Do you Know if they are planning to get DSD256?

Best,

Roch

PS/ You have my PM, just in case.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Wisnon,

I do have particular attachment to tubes... Never tried parrot guano!...

My question to Bruce B went because is not the same (at least to me) to listen by some tubes in the chain than all SS.

It was not a captive question, but only to know if he had the chance to listen a SS DAC with some tube gear in the chain.

Today "tubiness" in modern designs is not the same as the old one. I owned a Conrad Johnson MV45, with EL34 I began to mourn, thanks to his sweet midrange. Do not think I can bear today.

There is an option in the selection of the buffer tubes, then why is this option? Also in the caps... You know what I mean.

You know also my high interest in the Lampi, but my big problem is I never listened to it, and because where I live is very difficult to do it, I had planned to get some recent audio show, but is not the same, thanks to the crowd, and some hotel rooms, far away in acoustics from a decent listening room.

Do you Know if they are planning to get DSD256?

Best,

Roch

PS/ You have my PM, just in case.

I see conflicting reports about DSD256 (for PC not Mac), so I dont know. What I do know is that Lampi DSD blows away the DSD in my Chord Qute HD. I will soon upgrade it to EX and will compare again. I also hear from reports that the Big 7 is incredible! I think the QUALITY of DSD playback is more important than chasing ever higher resolutions.

Finally, he dioes not use the tubes for buffering in his Dac, but rather for single stage amplification and current output.

Last edited:

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I see conflicting reports about DSD256 (for PC not Mac), so I dont know. What I do know is that Lampi DSD blows away the DSD in my Chord Qute HD. I will soon upgrade it to EX and will compare again. I also hear from reports that the Big 7 is incredible! I think the QUALITY lf DSD playback is more important than chasing ever higher resolutions.

Finally, he dioes not use the tubes for buffering in his Dac, but rather for single stage amplification and current output.

Many thanks Wisnon,

Do you know some dealer in Miami, FL that has the Lampi? I'll be there this month from 13 to 18.

Anyway, DSD256 is a dream (even to convert or upsample). I'm just downloading a DSD128 from Opus3, it's 3.6 GB monster, and even if I pay hi speed internet connection the Opus3 server is so slow that it takes all night long, not so with Qobuz or HDTracks.

Please do not throw away your money with a Chord and buy instead an exaSound, I have both!... A lot of noise on web sites regarding Chord (and Chord 'fame').

Best,

Roch

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The Lampi guys are in Long Island, NY.

I will ask them if there are any Lampi owners in Miami.
I already have the Qute HD for a while now and just am ungrading the PCB to the EX for small $$$. The Qute HD cost me half what a exaSound would. I am sure the Lampi DSD trounces the ExaSound as well…no doubt in my mind!

DSD256 may be a neat feature, but I am not overly motivated to have it. More is not always better.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
DSD256 may be a neat feature, but I am not overly motivated to have it. More is not always better.

Definitely.... so far I can not hear any difference in DSD128 vs. DSD256

You have to remember that DSD 256 was only implemented so that you can do multi-track recording/mixing in the DSD domain. Otherwise you would have UHF build up and exceed the Scarlett Book spec.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
When I see a manufacturer (or reviewer for that matter) use the term magic, in relation to a new piece of gear, I run the other way.
:D

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
When I see a manufacturer (or reviewer for that matter) use the term magic, in relation to a new piece of gear, I run the other way.
:D

Lol. Don't blame you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing