When the "cover" song is as good or better than the original

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Love the original (obviously, in no small part to Louis Johnson's bass part), but this dude has some pipes it has to be said:

This dude also has some pipes though still have a lot of love for Adele:

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
"Down From Dover" Marianne Faithfull (Dolly Parton's original is pretty darn good too)
IMHO quite a few more covers by MF could easily be listed here.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Here's a fine example of a great cover of a Neil Young song. Mick Hucknall "On The Beach"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Written by Prince for his side project "The Family"...the original pales

Original by Hall & Oates

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I posted this in my picks thread. For you Dead Can Dance fans, This Mortal Coil was a project by Ivo, 4AD's head honcho, DCD's original label. Originally a Tim Buckley song, this cover was iconic during my youth and to me still holds a special place. This track features Elizabeth Frazier of Cocteau Twins.

A few ears prior Siouxsie and the Banshees brought this beatles hit to Gen X effects inspired by Sir George Martin. Dear Prudence let me smile.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Possibly the most intense version of Lennon's "Working Class Hero"....

My favorite "Wicked Game" cover...

Dylan done right...

A radical rethink of the Robbie Williams song...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wild Horses is one of my favorite Stones songs ever. While it can never be topped by anybody, IMO The Sundays held best cover of the song for decades until a certain Ms. Keys came along

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Most covers struggle to approach the original. But sometimes, they create unique works of arts of their own, even though they are a "copy" of the original. After all, a painting is a copy of the real thing and we praise that.

So I thought I create a thread and have everyone post the covers they enjoy as much if not more than the original.

To get us started, here is the House of the Rising Sun, sung by Kimberly Nichole in the show, The Voice:

And the "original" as sung by Animals: [yes, I know, they were also doing a cover as this is a much older song than their rendition]

One of my least favorite contestants...I will take the Aimals version...thank you very much.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Okay, I admit I am a sucker for Jennifer Nettles ability to cover many genre.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Clash "I Fought The Law"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Caetano Veloso "Cucurrucucu Paloma"

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Just the opposite for me, I own some Dylan. Neil is unlistenable. The best thing ever to happen to CSNY was to eliminate the Y. I guess we all have our annoying artists.

Jim,

I agree with you about CSN eliminating Young. Young just did not fit into what CSN was trying to accomplish, especially their beautiful harmonies. However, I think Neil Young is brilliant as a solo act and I don't prefer any covers to his originals, whereas I do prefer several Bob Dylan covers done back in the 1960's to his originals.

Ken

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is this available on an album by any chance? I have not found this particular version...only UK. Is this one known as the International version or is it known as the Swedish 2006 Concert version?

Love the original (obviously, in no small part to Louis Johnson's bass part), but this dude has some pipes it has to be said:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Is this available on an album by any chance? I have not found this particular version...only UK. Is this one known as the International version or is it known as the Swedish 2006 Concert version?

I'm pretty sure this version is known, like you say, as the Swedish Concert version, which I've only ever found on Youtube. He did record "Billie Jean" on the Steve Lillywhite-produced Carry On album, but it lacks the visceral delivery of the "Swedish Concert" version. Still alright through, in a folksy, slightly over-produced way.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I loved Blondie but was not a fan of "Heart of Glass" until the Bad Plus covered it:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Wicked Game, but transformed
.................................................. ................ .................................................. link to Carmen Gomes http://www.soundliaison.com/
I still think Carmen's version from Thousand Shdaes of Blue is the version that does justice to the song. The rest is just sexy pictures but no depth, not what I like to call music, like this new version...sign of the times....?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)

First recorded by Fred Astaire in the movie musical "The Sky's the Limit"

Covered many, many times but Sinatra owns this...

My favorite version is 'unplugged' off the triple best of Capitol Records set...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing