When the "cover" song is as good or better than the original

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are some really nice Beatles covers from the movie I Am Sam. I don't think any of them are better, but they are well done and enjoyable.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I might agree with you on Dylan, but definitely NOT Neil!

Just the opposite for me, I own some Dylan. Neil is unlistenable. The best thing ever to happen to CSNY was to eliminate the Y. I guess we all have our annoying artists.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I might agree with you on Dylan, but definitely NOT Neil!

Try Joan Baez's double album "Any Day Now" which are all Dylan songs. Also on her "Diamonds and Rust" album she does a spot on parody of Dylan's voice in Dylan's "A Simple Twist of Fate." The title song is a story of Joan's love affair with Dylan.

In the Spring of 1964, for our Freshman Class dance, we hired Bob Dylan to give a concert. As a surprise, he brought along Joan Baez, who was his then girlfriend. Many, many years later, I was working on a science education committee with Joan's dad, Albert, who was a well known physicist educator. Back in the late '50's and early '60's, Joan hung around Cambridge (her first album was "Folksingers 'round Harvard Square" on the Veritas label" was recorded in 1959) when her dad was teaching at MIT.

Larry

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Guns and Roses - Sympathy For The Devil. A more rocking version.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Try Joan Baez's double album "Any Day Now" which are all Dylan songs. Also on her "Diamonds and Rust" album she does a spot on parody of Dylan's voice in Dylan's "A Simple Twist of Fate." The title song is a story of Joan's love affair with Dylan.

In the Spring of 1964, for our Freshman Class dance, we hired Bob Dylan to give a concert. As a surprise, he brought along Joan Baez, who was his then girlfriend. Many, many years later, I was working on a science education committee with Joan's dad, Albert, who was a well known physicist educator. Back in the late '50's and early '60's, Joan hung around Cambridge (her first album was "Folksingers 'round Harvard Square" on the Veritas label" was recorded in 1959) when her dad was teaching at MIT.

Larry

at the risk of controversy, have you heard Judas Priest's cover of "Diamonds and Rust"...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLDazyvMMGw

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Couple of 'Season of the Witch' covers moons ago I was partial too. ;)
Just about everything on 'Famous Blue Raincoat'

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah over Cohen's and anybody else's.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
"All My Tears" by Emmylou Harris on Wrecking Ball. I love Julie (and Buddy) Miller, but Emmylou's version is devastating.

In fact, add "Goodbye" (Steve Earle) and "Wrecking Ball" (Neil Young) to the list as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Branching out the subject a bit, there are a few bands that end up doing an entire album of cover songs.
Indeed. It reminds of this video we post of this band that does nothing but covers:

And the original from Gotye:

I do love a cover song, in spite of what I wrote before :) So these albums are particularly fascinating to me... I wouldn't say any of these songs are done better than the original, but they're all pretty good, and worth hearing!
I think "different" is good enough standard to use here. It doesn't have to be better than the original to be enjoyable and work of art. The above amature video brings fascination in the way the song is played.

BTW, the cover version has been viewed 165 million times versus 650 million for the original.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (originally Gladys Knight and the Pips)

Al Green "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?" (originally The Bee Gees)

Antony "If It Be Your Will" (the greatest Leonard Cohen cover ever?)

Madness "Our House" (originally CSN)

Otis Redding "Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay" (Aretha Franklin)

and of course

Detroit Cobras "You Better Leave My Kitten Alone" by Little Willie John. (The Cobras only do covers...)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Priest "Diamonds and Rust" is awesome, especially live. Actually prefer The Ripper to Halford.

Anything on Santana's Inner Secrets, amazing album.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Down From Dover" Marianne Faithfull (Dolly Parton's original is pretty darn good too)

"Islands in The Stream" The Bee Gees (written by the Bee Gees but performed first by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton)

Johnny Cash "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails)

"Immigrant Song" Karen O & Trent Reznor (Led Zep)

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The king of coverversions!!!

Yes, that's a good one.

Another suggestion: "Summertime Blues" on Live at Leeds by The Who.

Enoch Root

Oct 8, 2014
Tiverton, RI
[video]https://youtu.be/6EPwRdVg5Ug[/video]

Jackson Five's I Want You Back was pretty cool but Lake Street Dive, with their gorgeous singer, make it their own.

Jazdoc, one of us is confused: CSN and Madness do totally different songs with the same title.
Also, Otis wrote Dock Of The Bay.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm afraid I can't agree with the Springsteen/Mumford thing. The original is full of heat and tension. It's "on fire." The Mumford version is barely warm; the arrangement, and particularly the vocal performance, sound disconnected from the message of the song. I will take The Band's cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City, though. It feels even more authentic than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSkXMnYH9I

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing