What's the best sounding system(s) you have ever heard that are not your own.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Anything from Precision A/V in Moorpark, CA.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,

Interesting the Kipods made your list. At the SOCAL show they had far and away the best sound (Moon electronics).

I heard them at a time YG was getting a lot of bad feedback (about 2 years ago?). One might say I just had low expectations but no, the Kipods with the Vitus was really, really good. Well balanced, engaging and articulate but not etch-a-sketchy in the slightest. I also liked their size and form factor. As a dealer you kind of wish your competitors products suck. LOL. This little compact system surely didn't. One of my favorite 2-way monitors. Sounded best to me from about 6ft away or a bit closer. Lost some of the immersive magic farther away.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
The GTT room at RMAF 2012.
YGA Anat III signatures
Tenor amplifier
Veloce preamp
Accuphase digital
Kubala cables

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
A Burmester Reference Line System with loudspeaker B100's; all cabled by Nordost Odin. I never heard a so natural sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I recall 3 systems where i found reference-level characteristics to which i refer when i consider my own system.

1. 1993 - Apogee Stages, ML pre/amp. The naturalness of delivery was quite startling after all these years. something about the way the voices came thru...no sense of sound being pushed thru a speaker; tonality seemed superb to me

2. 2006 - X1/Grand Slamms and ARC Ref electronics - Scale and effortless like i had NEVER heard before...it opened my eyes to why my personal way of great bookshelves and sub were not the same from this perspective. my CElestion SL6si and Velodyne or Guarneri and Velodyne competed with loads of floorstanders, but not these. They seemed to take any level of signal and delivery all of it in similar fashion to the Apogees but with a vastly greater sense of scale and effortlessness

3. 2011 - Tidal Sunray T1/Tower Sub, all Tidal Ref electronics (3 sets of monos), Argento SMREE, Tripoint Spartan/Troy, STahl-Tek Vekian digital; not the tonality that i felt was correct. Generally too bright. i would take system 2 above this one all day long...and effectively have for those who know my system. But such incredibly vast levels of information being passed thru without any strain, that i was amazed and remain amazed by the number of musical themes i could pick up in the same track i had been using for some time.

I have used it as a reference on that track going forward...and only now have finally managed to approach it at home, having just picked up a second hand Zanden transport to go with my Zanden DAC (finally...after 5 years!...managed to pick up 2nd hand latest specification set and trade in my older Zanden DAC...long patient search but well worth it.)

The only other system that comes to mind is D'Agostino monos, Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A, Ref 5SE, TA Opus cables and the XLF...i know what that system is capable of, and it was not at its best during the demo. That is clear to me...but its noise floor (or lack therefore!) was plainly evident and a new reference for me.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
A Burmester Reference Line System with loudspeaker B100's; all cabled by Nordost Odin. I never heard a so natural sound.

My friend's name is Elrocco he is the owner of this fine system.

Système Elrocco 02.jpg
Système Elrocco 03.jpg

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Nice system ;)

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
The original Avalon Ascent at their introduction in Italy in a shop named The absolute sound: Mr. Jeff Rowland in person was on duty with his Coherence One and the Model 7, Wadia 10000 & Micromega transport, all Ocos cables in a big room treated with tube traps by Art Noxon. Simply awesome.
The system owned by Mr. Aikman (SME): Oracle Delphi with SME V and Koetsu Red (IIRC), ARC SP 10 (or was the 11?), Krell KMA 100 (x 4) and 2 pair of Quad ESL63 per side (heavily modified). Also here a sound performance that I still remember (was 1987 or 1988).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Ocean Way Studio's second largest active system driven with Viola amplification via a Whyte Active Crossover. The digital front end was unfamiliar to me. Effortless dynamics with no strain at all. Couldn't help but thinking what a disaster a system like this could be in the wrong hands. This guy however knew how to set up a system very, very well. Most striking was that this system sounded so good in a room that was practically devoid of treatments. Sure they look like concert stacks but dang, the sound made up for the utilitarian looks. Horn speakers with a twist. The only horn speakers that were even lower in coloration and distortion I've hear used the hideously expensive drivers from ALE.

Anyone visiting Singapore should visit this shop at the ground floor of the Adelphi.

Unfortunately, this showroom is already closed but I agree with Jack that this system was absolutely stupendous. The speakers were set up by the designer Allen Sides. Digital front end was CH Precision.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Unfortunately, this showroom is already closed but I agree with Jack that this system was absolutely stupendous. The speakers were set up by the designer Allen Sides. Digital front end was CH Precision.

That's too bad :( I guess I'll just have to console myself with the great food the next time I'm in Singapore.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The original Avalon Ascent at their introduction in Italy in a shop named The absolute sound: Mr. Jeff Rowland in person was on duty with his Coherence One and the Model 7, Wadia 10000 & Micromega transport, all Ocos cables in a big room treated with tube traps by Art Noxon. Simply awesome.
The system owned by Mr. Aikman (SME): Oracle Delphi with SME V and Koetsu Red (IIRC), ARC SP 10 (or was the 11?), Krell KMA 100 (x 4) and 2 pair of Quad ESL63 per side (heavily modified). Also here a sound performance that I still remember (was 1987 or 1988).

---- Hi katylied, and welcome! :b

Best,
Bob

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I remember. We kept bumping into each other in the lift, corridors, but I never got to play you any of my music!

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be in Montreal this year.

To bad because it's a much bigger show, 26th year haven't missed one, this may not please everyone but MrAcoustat will be there again ALL 4 days.:):):)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing