What's the best sounding system(s) you have ever heard that are not your own.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm not sure I've seen this thread hear. As usual, if it's a repeat please pull it.

I had to think darn hard about this. It's a toss up... HPs IRS Vs from yesteryear, The Magico S5-VAC system at the California Audio Show on a single Louis Armstrong track (a true glimpse of heaven), and the The MBL X-treams at CES 2012 (after you've adjusted to them and the room).

Gentlemen, start your engines...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sonus Faber TheSonusfaber speaker, Audio Research REF40 Anniversary, REF 610T powers, Metronome Kalista and DAC converter with plenty of Nordost Odin cables. It made my usual test recordings of Monteverdi and Shostakovitch sound much better than I could imagine...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
INO-I've listened to a lot of gems and a lot of boat anchors in my day. I've heard little ones, big dynanmcs, horns, ribbons,and planars. I've been in love more times than Wilt Chamberlain. A lot depends on the music.
My goal has aalwys been to simulate a smoke filled night club with glasses tinkling and muffled conversation. An unknow female vocalist with a local three peice band belting ouit some blues or jazz.
My nomination goes to Terry at Overture Audio in Delaware.
Source Ovation tt with Phantom arn (can't remember the cart.)
Spectral CD Player
Spectral electronics
Transparent cable
and of course drum roll please
Martin Logan Statement(e2)
Terry had a couple of home made CDs. Gayle Sanders was there.
It was just devoid of any hi-fi artifacts to me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Big Systems

VSA VR-11 Mk2, VAC 450 Statement and VTL Siegfried, VTL 7.5 Series 3, EMT JP-66, TW Black Night, Gold Finger S, Durand, EMM CDSD/DAC6, EERA Tentation, ATR

Wilson Alexandria 2, Lamm ML-3, Lamm LL1, PBD MPS-5, 2x Gotham, Studer

Dynaudio Evidence Master, FM Acoustics, Walker TT, Goldfinger

Sierra-Brooks Horns, All Custom Electronics, CEC front end

Mid-sized Systems

Quad, Quad II, Jadis Pre, EMT 930 table, Meridian CDP

MG2.7, ARC VT-150, Jadis Pre, VPI HW 19 (?), ET2, Koetsu Rosewood

MG1.6QR (fully modified frame and XO), 2 x Element Subs, Spectral 360 II, Lamm L1, DPS TT, Koetsu Arm, Koetsu Tiger Eye Diamond Cantilever, EERA Tentation

DB-99 Mk2, Lamm ML2.1, LL2 D, Lyngdorf RP-1, Accuphase DP-78

Verity Parsifal, 4 x Airtight, First Sound Pre, Shindo TT, Koetsu Coralstone, Oracle CDP

EW The Nines, Levinson 53, Levinson 26 (?), EMM XDS1

Frugal

DQ-8, Valvet A3.5, Valvet L1, JVC DD TT, Denon 103R

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the best two systems? probably the stereophile show san mateo (late '80s) two nor cal dealers were duking it out, one had the ginormous, four tower martin logan statement monstrosity with like a jigawatt of krell reference power and the almost as impressive infinty iRS with spectral, ARC and the versa dynamics 2.0 front end. all was good in the world back then, all the famous names in audio were present along with their founders - alive and still in control of their respective cos. i recall an impressive demo with jason bloom of apogee of the then soon to be released diva. every record he played was to die for, culling musical gems from his famous vinyl collection. its seems like all the pioneers of audio were present for one singular show. i havent been to a CES, sterophile or whatever show before or since with such a high caliber of systems and demos.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Best system as a whole?

Winston Ma's room.

Avalon Sentinel
TRL mono's or Berning monos
Audio Note
Exempler custom equipment
La Luce

Room... Room... Room... !!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a speaker guy so I seem to remember each impressive loudspeaker I have come across through the years that for me produced the best sound and I would like to group them according to era as during those times, I regard them the best.

Late 1980s:

Thiel CS 5 with Jeff Rowland Electronics with Sota turntable and ET2 arm. (I forgot the cartridge) I heard this in Audio Excellence, Embarcadero area, SF.

1990s:

IRS Beta with VTLs in a local dealer showroom.

Magnepan Tympani IVa with Cello electronics at a HK dealer showroom.

Duntech Sovereign with Rowland electronics at a HK dealer's showroom - Winston Ma's Golden String.

Sequerra Signature with Rockport Sirius in the first HK Hifi Show.

Genesis 1.1 with Jadis electronics and ML digital front end in Manila.

Wilson Alexandria X2 MKI with Burmester all the way in Manila.

B&W Matrix 800 with Jadis 800 6-chassis mono blocks, Cello pre-amp and Forsell table and arm in Manila.

Entec Ribbon Speakers and Subwoofers with various amps (Forsell, McCormack, etc)

2000 till present:

Sonus Stradivari Homage with ARC Ref 610, Ref pre-amps and VPI TNT Triplanar/Koetsu Tiger Eye in Manila.

Von Schweikert VR 11 with VAC/Manley superamps with a host of analog front end in Manila.

Von Schweikert VR9 with Lamm amps, Valvet preamps and a host of analog front end in Manila.

Wilson X2MKII with Lamm ML3, Lamm preamp and R2R in Danville, CA.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In order of preference:
- Wilson X1: ARC Ref210, ARC Ref 3, Transp Ref cabling, ARC CD7 digital
- Wilson XLF: D'Agostino monos, ARC Ref5SE, Transparent Audio Opus cabling/power conditioning, Metronome Kalista Ref/2CA digital
- Tidal Sunray/Tower subs: 3 Sets Tidal Ref monos, Tidal Ref Pre, Tripoint Troy/Spartan grounding/power conditioner, Argento SMR cabling, Stahl-Tek Vekian (original) digital
- Wilson X2: Krell Evo 1, Krell Evo 2, Transp Ref cabling, ARC CD7

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tiny speakers aka mini-monitors:

All mid to late 80s:

Rogers LS3/5a with Quicksilver electronics. Forgot the analog rig but when a neighbor played Amanda McBroom's The Portrait and The Rose, will all lights out, I could have sworn Amanda was inside the room between the speakers. Spooky.

Celestion SL600 with Aragon electronics and AR turntable. When an old friend played a Proprius children's choir LP in his living room, I almost thought that at the back of the sound stage, there were still singers in the dining room which is to the right of the sound field. More spooky than the Rogers. :D

Spica TC-50 with RH Labs sub, Counterpoint electronics and Sonograph table. That was the first time I learned what true stereo imaging and transparency was all about. Speakers disappear and I couldn't locate where the sound was coming from even if I stared at the speakers. The owner played RR's Church Windows for me and it was an unforgettable experience.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

...Celestion SL600 with Aragon electronics and AR turntable. When an old friend played a Proprius children's choir LP in his living room, I almost thought that at the back of the sound stage, there were still singers in the dining room which is to the right of the sound field. More spooky than the Rogers. :D

I owned the Celestion SL6si's...my very first speakers. For the money, i found no better...and knew the SL600si, SL700SE very well, as well the later and somewhat less successful 100 & 300 models. Celestion knew how to make magic.

Anyone ever hear the SL600 with the Celestion 2000 pair of di-pole Subs?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah the LS3/5a, there's something about those little buggers that can be so addicting.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I've heard many systems that impressed me, but the ones that really are stuck in my memory for the excellent impression I got from them are the following:

Large Speakers
- Wilson Alexandria XLF, driven by VTL TL7.5 MkIII and Sigfried MkII, phono VTL TP6.5, Spyral Groove table and arm, Lyra cart (don't remember which one). A complete dCS Scarlatti stack was there too, but I didn't listen to it with that system. Cables were from Transparent, racks from Finite Elemente.
- Burmester Top Line systems, with 100 phono, 088 pre, 911 MkIII power amp and B100 speakers, playing vinyls from a Walker Proscenium Diamond. No digital was connected that time.

Small Speakers:
- Magico Mini, driven by Spectral DMC-30SS MkI + DMA250, Basis 2200 + Vector arm, Lyra Helikon cart, FM Acoustics 122 phono, all MIT cables, Stillpoints rack. Also, in that demo a listened to the just-released (that time) dCS Scarlatti and the Spectral 4000Pro CD player.
- All "entry level" TAD system, with CR1 speakers, driven by C2000 DAC/pre with MacBook Air and Pure Music, M2500 power amp, HRS rack and don't-remember the cables.

Said that, I can state I could happily live with any of those systems (or a combination of those components). I'd just need to be sure to be able to spin vinyls and to have a digital set capable to play computer-based music.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Two systems that are completely different:

RMAF a few years ago: Win Tinnon's Saskia turntable, Schroeder tonearm, Oswalds Mills tube electronics and horn speakers:

Mike Lavigne's...but I haven't heard the system with the new Dart monoblocks and Evolution Acoustic MM7 speakers. Bonus points for being the ultimate audiophile host :D

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing Winston Ma's room but it is legendary in the Pacific NW. I've heard Bruce's system once and it was spectacular but my feeble memory precludes a definitive comparison...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The best two systems I've ever heard were Evolution/darTZeel based, so that informed my own system :D

1. Evolution MM3 + darTZeel monoblocks + darTZeel preamp + Playback Designs + EMT turntable/VdH cartridge. Pure awesomeness.
2. Evolution MM3 + darTZeel stereo amp + darTZeel preamp + dCS Puccini/Clock + Transrotor/Benz cartridge.

I went ahead and got a pair of MM3 for myself, but it seems they aren't being delivered... It's been 6 months, and no luck so far... I guess they're focusing on the small monitors...

alexandre

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
. It's been 6 months, and no luck so far... I guess they're focusing on the small monitors...

alexandre

Apparently, they have some serious delivery issues. I have a friend who ordered the mini's over a year ago - and still no speakers. I personally would have taken legal action and demanded my money back. That's inexcusable.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
So called "best" is always a phlegmatic movable feast and beast of flash and fashion.

However, I am surprised nobody mentions Steve William's now in transition Wilson Alexandria/Lamm ML3 system.

Also the Wilson Alexandria/Spectral/Aestheix system at last year's CAS 2011.

My faves historically are big Soundlabs with custom OTL amps/transformers and Apogee Grand with Krell electronics.

I am also surprised that nobody has done the "no system, live music is my only metric" affectation, so I will do it for them.

No system, because live music is my only meteric, sniff sniff!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Apparently, they have some serious delivery issues. I have a friend who ordered the mini's over a year ago - and still no speakers. I personally would have taken legal action and demanded my money back. That's inexcusable.

I got a payment request today for the mmmicroones. They didnt ask me to prepay months in advance only when they were ready to ship.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

All mid to late 80s:

Rogers LS3/5a with Quicksilver electronics. Forgot the analog rig but when a neighbor played Amanda McBroom's The Portrait and The Rose, will all lights out, I could have sworn Amanda was inside the room between the speakers. Spooky.

Celestion SL600 with Aragon electronics and AR turntable. When an old friend played a Proprius children's choir LP in his living room, I almost thought that at the back of the sound stage, there were still singers in the dining room which is to the right of the sound field. More spooky than the Rogers. :D

Spica TC-50 with RH Labs sub, Counterpoint electronics and Sonograph table. That was the first time I learned what true stereo imaging and transparency was all about. Speakers disappear and I couldn't locate where the sound was coming from even if I stared at the speakers. The owner played RR's Church Windows for me and it was an unforgettable experience.
I'm with you on this. I absolutely loved that Spica with the sloped front baffle when it first came out. And could easily go back to a pair of Quad ESLs.
Alot of the big, no-holds barred systems I have heard over the years really didn't do it for me, although I certainly haven't heard alot of the newest stuff, other than in show conditions, which doesn't count. So, perhaps a road trip is in order.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
However, I am surprised nobody mentions Steve William's now in transition Wilson Alexandria/Lamm ML3 system.

I suspect Jack201 did mention Steve William's system?

Big Systems

VSA VR-11 Mk2, VAC 450 Statement and VTL Siegfried, VTL 7.5 Series 3, EMT JP-66, TW Black Night, Gold Finger S, Durand, EMM CDSD/DAC6, EERA Tentation, ATR

Wilson Alexandria 2, Lamm ML-3, Lamm LL1, PBD MPS-5, 2x Gotham, Studer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing