What's the best sounding system(s) you have ever heard that are not your own.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since a cartridge doesn't know if it is at the first groove on a record or the last groove on a record, don't you mean the arm didn't track the inner grooves so well? That is where 9" and 10" pivoted arms are at their worst. If a cartridge is going to mistrack with heavily modulated grooves, it will do that on every cut that contains them.

i agree too. during the 80s and 90s, i never heard a system wherein there will be distortions at end of record. then around 2000s, i hear a lot of friends talks about what they call inner groove distortions that they had to ask somebody to tweak the alignment to minimize it or remove it. i'm a bit baffled by this as cartridges and arms in the 80s and 90s (that i've heard) never had this problem and newer products in the 2000s exhibit this problem. indeed, a cartridge does not know where it lands along the grooves, and if it plays well in the first few cuts, it should not distort in the end, if it does, the arm should be doing something wrong.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I really like Tim Marutani's recent systems. Last year it was Magico Q5's powered by Constellation electronics with his big Ampex ATR-102 1/2" playing Tape Project tapes or his digital system which he duplicated for me (PM Model Two, Pyramix software and Mykerinos card). Currently he is breaking in his Q7's. They should be a treat.

Larry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Since a cartridge doesn't know if it is at the first groove on a record or the last groove on a record, don't you mean the arm didn't track the inner grooves so well? That is where 9" and 10" pivoted arms are at their worst. If a cartridge is going to mistrack with heavily modulated grooves, it will do that on every cut that contains them.

Mep,

The cartridge really knows if it is the first or the last track in the record - the linear velocity of the groove at the edge is more than the double of that the inner part, modifying the dynamic readout characteristics of the stylus assembly. The constant angular velocity of the vinyl recording was a technical compromise - the system would be even more perfect is the angular velocity was variable and the linear velocity constant. Many articles on cartridge alignment only focus on the geometric errors and forget about this fundamental and difficult to model effect.

Note that the CD system, developed with a much more developed spinning technology wins in this aspect - as it is read at constant linear velocity it should sound exactly the same in the first (inner track) as in the last. ;)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Dollar for dollar the best system i have heard in 40 years plus is my friend Jocelyn's, in Quebec Canada he is well known for rebuilding Acoustat electrostatics speakers here is a description of his system.

Plinius SA-250 MK1V amplifier - modified
Promitheus Dual Mono Reference TVC preamps - modified
Ayon CD-1 cd player - modified
Acoustat Spectra 6600s speakers - modified
JL Audio F-112 Fanthom subwoofers ( 2 )

Jocelyn 002.jpg

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
---I just luv that audio setup Andre; I can hear very sweet music just by looking at it. :b

Yes Bob i was there last week well worth the three hour drive, with the addition of the two JL Audio F-112 Fanthom subwoofers ( when well adjusted ) it was very very good but at very loud volume my preference is WITHOUT SUBS.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Yes Bob i was there last week well worth the three hour drive, with the addition of the two JL Audio F-112 Fanthom subwoofers ( when well adjusted ) it was very very good but at very loud volume my preference is WITHOUT SUBS.

Hmmmm, makes one wonder if the subs were calibrated to the system, the mains and too the room. Perhaps you felt that they were and perhaps not. Had they been, it makes me wonder if your observations would be the same. Regardless, that is one wonderful looking system with multitudes of eye candy appeal. Both the room and the system. I could imagine cutting off the lights, lighting the candles and being immersed into the music for hours. Sub(s) or not. Gorgeous system your friend has there! Simply gorgeous.

If he or she is not a member here, please offer him/her a formal invite to the forum and thanks for sharing.

Tom

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hmmmm, makes one wonder if the subs were calibrated to the system, the mains and too the room. Perhaps you felt that they were and perhaps not. Had they been, it makes me wonder if your observations would be the same. Regardless, that is one wonderful looking system with multitudes of eye candy appeal. Both the room and the system. I could imagine cutting off the lights, lighting the candles and being immersed into the music for hours. Sub(s) or not. Gorgeous system your friend has there! Simply gorgeous.

If he or she is not a member here, please offer him/her a formal invite to the forum and thanks for sharing.

Tom

No Tom they where well calibrated it is simply MY opinion i don't have to feel the music to enjoy it and at very high volume you could feel the chairs moving 15 feet away and that's simply not for me but at reasonable volume what a treat.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
---From that picture I estimate those loudspeakers (Acoustat 6600s) to be over 9 feet tall!

...Perhaps even close to 10 feet (nine and a half)!

No Bob they are 33 inches wide 99 inches high 6 inches deep and weigh around 600 poundsthe room is 19x25x10 to 13 feet cathedral ceiling.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Ahhhh, that's why; you're five and a half feet high. :b

Some members here are six and a half (78") tall.
...Add 36" to that and that makes 114" (9 1/2 feet). :b

* Ask your good friend if those bases doesn't add another 3 inches (from 99" to 102").

Last edited:

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Never heard system at any show which impressed me :(
Also never heard systems in NY Tri-State area dealers showrooms wich impressed me at all.
As far as my friends systems - Clement Perry (publishe at Stereotimes) system with all Behold and Sunny Cable King loudspeakers does some musical magic especialy when playing analog front-end - sounds like a single ended triod, single driver speaker rather then a 2000 wats of SS power driving 4 way 800 lbs behemotes :)

Serguei Timachev from Stealth audio system with Vivid Gk1, legendary Esoteric P0-S UV and Esoteric D-01 mono DACs, highly modified CAT Ultimate Stealth edition and Jadis JP80 MC also Stealth modified driving big CAT amp and Symphonic Line Craft 400 monos probably represents best digital sound I heard outside of my house

I'm spoiled by my digital though - it is way too close to perfectly set -up Walker Black Diamond with Zyx Sigma II Diamond for Lloyds comfort - every time he visits he uses a bad language :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ocean Way Studio's second largest active system driven with Viola amplification via a Whyte Active Crossover. The digital front end was unfamiliar to me. Effortless dynamics with no strain at all. Couldn't help but thinking what a disaster a system like this could be in the wrong hands. This guy however knew how to set up a system very, very well. Most striking was that this system sounded so good in a room that was practically devoid of treatments. Sure they look like concert stacks but dang, the sound made up for the utilitarian looks. Horn speakers with a twist. The only horn speakers that were even lower in coloration and distortion I've hear used the hideously expensive drivers from ALE.

Anyone visiting Singapore should visit this shop at the ground floor of the Adelphi.

Another mid-sized system I really liked. Harbeth Super 5, Lamm M2.2 with Mullard CV2492, Lamm LL2 with CV491 and Mullard e88cc, Accuphase Transport with Accuphase DRC DAC, room designed for my friend by ASC (Art Noxon)

YG Kipod and Vitus SIA-025 running on 25wpc class A setting, Berkley Alpha, Amarra. Sweet.sweet.sweet.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Jack,

Interesting the Kipods made your list. At the SOCAL show they had far and away the best sound (Moon electronics).

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
IMG_0308.jpg IMG_0455.jpg Apogee Scintilla's, stages with Hill Plasma and two Rotary subwoofers.
A huge bank of Krell power amps

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi my friend Jocelyn has added a pair of 1+1s to his Spectra 6600s and now as Spectra 8800s they are 41x102x10 inches and weigh around 800 pounds it's even better than the Spectra 6600s where hours and hours of pure joy.

Système Jocelyn.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing