? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Off to see melody gardot live in Bristol , March time :) thanks !

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Northstar
Thanks for introducing me to a new artist. I'll definitely check her out. You might have noticed I am quite the conniseur of female jazz vocalists.
Nice version of Stolen Moments. I detect a Latin beat.
It's definitely a WMD. Maybe hydrogen. A reminder of the ultimate consequence of our failure to peacefully resolve our
differences.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Spaz, beautiful horse.

Greg, is that the atom bomb?

No, that looks like the Castle Romeo test, an unexpected 11 megatons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Romeo

Hydrogen (fusion) bomb.

A straight atom (fission) bomb is quite wimpy in comparison. Hiroshima/Nagasaki - 20 kilotons or so.

Recommended reading: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" - Richard Rhodes

Visual comparison:

fission, left, near Las Vegas, from maybe 3-5 miles.
fusion, right, Bikini Atoll, from 40-50 miles away.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Ray...for the different size (intensity) of nuclear (human destruction) bombs. ...Instructional.
* It is a fanatically fascinating man's project. It reminds me of the holocaust.

I am a little surprised; that few people weren't familiar with the angelical Melody Gardot. I'm glad now that she has been introduced to some few of you. :cool:
Great artist infrastructure; architecturally well balanced...from the heart of hurting stones. ...Melody's lifestory you'll have to learn by reading...quite exceptional...her accident.

? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_Gardot

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Dakota Staton
Cry me a river
Girl talk

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Carol Kidd Someone to watch over me. (You tube)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Guess I should post it here too

IASW complete cd's - Miles

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, "In a Silent Way" is one of Mile's favorites of mine...great great music. ...It flows peacefully above the Earth's atmosphere, in the dark sky night with all the scintillating stars. ...In a silent way, through the milky way galaxy of the firmament. ...That's high praise trumpet ? playing. :b

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
On to the next set after IASW
That complete set is terrific. If you feel IASW is special go out of your way and get 'complete'.
Now it's 'Bitch's Brew' complete. Wonder if this started genre
Damn cold out -20wc

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Still listening to 'Brew'. Hoping it will add some heat as wind chill is now -38.
Did the poles move?

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Carla Bley from time to time is what I'm listening to. I've collected her works. She's composer and bandleader. She plays but isn't technically stellar. I like to think her music is, though.

I stumbled into this video a moment ago, it's a nice duet (in this incarnation of the tune).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carla_Bley

The Official Carla Bley Website

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^ I have a few Bley discs. Like her stuff.

On to 'Jack Johnson' complete - Miles

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i just have a question.Can anyone tell me why I am not a Miles Davis fan? I appreciate his greatness. . i've studied his work, he is just not on my go to list. Even non-jazz fans like KOB. That does not count.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
^^^ I have a few Bley discs. Like her stuff.

On to 'Jack Johnson' complete - Miles

Same here Ray and Ron; I have some CDs of her...on the WATT music record label, and one on ECM.
She's an avant gardiste of abstract/jazz/classical fusion, an 'alternatiste' and 'progressiste' of music that bites in travelling spiritually in the new conscientious world of the calculated moment. Listening to her playing is like transporting your mind into new territories of unexplored horizons that dance between earth sky and water...flowing naturally without you even knowing about it.

i just have a question.Can anyone tell me why I am not a Miles Davis fan? I appreciate his greatness. . i've studied his work, he is just not on my go to list. Even non-jazz fans like KOB. That does not count.

Free, improvisational jazz on a trumpet or saxophone...Davis and Coltrane and Rollins and Wallace and Giuseppe and Blakey and Armstrong and Baker, ...is all in words without words. Miles is way ahead, always was always will. Nobody can tell the music that is playing to the soul; on how it can vibrates more for some people and less for others.
It is an absolute non-definition in the ears of the beholder.
Your question is un-answerable. ...Just like Star Wars or Mad Max or Under the Skin or Birdman.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Here you go... One of my bargain-bin gems... Jazz Funk...

MI0002123992.jpg

Unfortunately there's no Vol 2.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

who IS on your go-to list? Its all personal, and perhaps whom you DO go might start to answer your question. For me, while i think 'Round Midnight is my favorite Miles Davis album (and I do listen to it a fair amount), i still listen to far more Oscar Peterson, Hank Mobley, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, etc...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is a boatload of trumet players out there. Added to that I was more of a saxophone fan. I prefer the unmuted horn.I suppose Hugh Masekela is my favorite. Clifford Brown with Saarah Vaugh. Louis Armstrong....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing