Analog guy upgrading the DAC (maybe Canor 2.10 or Ansuz 180) needs help ;-)

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Hi - using my McIntosh C 52s integrated onboard DAC right now - as my turntable is being serviced and will be away for quite some time, I will use the occasion to work on the digital end. Now my thoughts are to upgrade the DAC for starters. I have not paid much attention to the digital section as my focus is on analog... but still, I think it`s worth investing some time and a few cents...

Here`s the setup:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27'', ultimo 2014) as ROON core and also I use the built in storage as server for my ripped CDs... (all ripped to WAV via dBPoweramp)
goes into music room and Auralic Aries G1 via Ethernet
from there via Coax into C52... and then to Wilson Sasha DAWs...

... so not much of a big deal but I actually think it sounds okayish... nowhere near my analog though... so I was thinking to invest in a better DAC? It should certainly be on the more "analog" and "warm" sounding side...

Right now I have the CANOR DAC 2.10 and the Ansuz DAC 180 in mind... anyone have any experience with these or like to make an alternative recommendation and/or have other suggestions as to how to improve the digital end? I`ve been lost in vinyl for the last 15 years and have little knowledge on todays digital possibilities...

... oh - also interested in your findings - do DACs actually make that much a difference - especially when mainly playing ripped 44.1 / 16 files?

Cheers,

Christoph

Last edited:

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
I would look at removing the iMac from the equation first, to a dedicated music server

Reactions: Carlsbad

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I would look at removing the iMac from the equation first, to a dedicated music server
I would agree with that.

I have a friend that does pro audio mastering and is an audiophile, he recently got the Canor 2.1 and loves it for his home system. Says it punches way above its price point.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... oh boy - thanks, so many variables... dedicated server or imac, internet switch or router, galvanic isolation or not, dedicated bridge or not, which DAC to use, ethernet or wireless... where to start from my current setup, that`s my biggest concern.

I would assume, that the DAC has the greatest impact on the soundsignature - no?

Actually getting me to think whether it`s not easier to just buy a dedicated CDP and leave all the other variables out... plenty of CDs here to spin... just plug and play ;-)

Say, @Tuckers - the Canor 2.1 standalone DAC?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
@skinnyes, the stand alone dac.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... okay, thakns - and am I understanding this correct, that you suggest, investing in a new server/core - say a Roon Nucleus with built in storage - will have bigger impact on SQ than investing in a new/better DAC? Really new territory for me and so many variables...

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
I would actually recommend getting a new DAC and server/player.
The iMac is not an ideal Roon server and streaming via ethernet isn't preferred, but I'm sure there will be many that say otherwise.
The Canor 2.1 DAC looks like a nice machine, coupled with a dedicated server outputting via USB or AES would give a major lift in quality.
From Antipodes Audio that could look like a K22 there are a number of quality manufacturers of servers, but the Nucleus isn't one of them.
I note you are in Germany, CM-Audio has test packages available to try in your home, perhaps contact a dealer for advice :)

Reactions: skinnyfla

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I would actually recommend getting a new DAC and server/player.
The iMac is not an ideal Roon server and streaming via ethernet isn't preferred, but I'm sure there will be many that say otherwise.
The Canor 2.1 DAC looks like a nice machine, coupled with a dedicated server outputting via USB or AES would give a major lift in quality.
From Antipodes Audio that could look like a K22 there are a number of quality manufacturers of servers, but the Nucleus isn't one of them.
I note you are in Germany, CM-Audio has test packages available to try in your home, perhaps contact a dealer for advice :)
... thanks for the advice - looked them up and CM-Audio is actually just around the corner - like 30 miles from my home... will contact them and see what they suggest - cheers.

Reactions: OLADRA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing