? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Porgy & Bess then Sketches of Spain - Miles
You might like these, Greg.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I've just listened to Charles Mingus's album, Ah Um, from that great year in jazz, 1959. It fills a gap in my jazz collection, my first CD by Mingus and although I am put off by some of his work, Ah Um is very listenable, smooth and quirky, with well-written ensemble passages and excellent sound on this reissue. The bass is right out there which shows off my new speakers' built-in subwoofers. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Porgy & Bess then Sketches of Spain - Miles
You might like these, Greg.
i own Sketches of SPainn. i will try Porgy and BBess

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
i own Sketches of SPainn. i will try Porgy and BBess

Porgy and Bess is one of the best jazz suites featuring the Gil Evans orchestra with Davis at his best, better than Sketches of Spain IMO. It works best if the pieces merge into one another without a pause. I recently picked up a reissue on LP, but the CD is very good. Happy listening.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Porgy and Bess is one of the best jazz suites featuring the Gil Evans orchestra with Davis at his best, better than Sketches of Spain IMO. It works best if the pieces merge into one another without a pause. I recently picked up a reissue on LP, but the CD is very good. Happy listening.
Agree listening back to back. Usually how I listen them. Works well.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Agree listening back to back. Usually how I listen them. Works well.
My original LP copy presented the music as a suite with no pause between pieces. The CD and the reissue LP feature pauses but by deftly using the fast forward button with the CD you can get the effect of the original as you have found out.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Is it jazz?

R-3701760-1352837129-3287.jpeg.jpg

PS: No glare

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Spinning ? right now:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Her brand new album; short and fun.

_____

"There’s an immaculate simplicity about the way Madeleine Peyroux and her two accompanists treat these 10 songs, which she calls secular hymns. With composers ranging from Stephen C Foster to Tom Waits, Willie Dixon to Linton Kwesi Johnson, the only subject they seem to have in common is life itself, but the candour of Peyroux’s approach, the warm intimacy of her voice and the incisive clarity of the arrangements draw them together. Jon Herington (guitar) and Barak Mori (double bass) delicately sketch in the diverse styles, giving them a timeless quality. The whole thing was recorded in one day at St Mary’s Church, Great Milton, Oxfordshire, whose generous acoustic provides the distinctive atmosphere."

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Spinning in the Now (CD)

I'm a big fan of American jazz trumpeter/composer Dave Douglas (I have a fair collection of his albums on CDs, and playing on other musician's albums).
I'm sure most of you are familiar with his music compositions...jazz music that transports us to another higher musical dimension...the abstract reality (progressive/experimental).
His music is transformative in ways of undiscovered explorations; it's great sailing for the imagery of the mind. ...He's a smooth operator.

https://img.discogs.com/mcYuBr3mMg8LZ-UzakEbG6N6M5g=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(40)/discogs-images/R-8404582-1460953446-1673.jpeg.jpg

_____

Two of his latest albums, or CDs, I highly recommend: 'Dark Territory', and 'High Risk'.

Click on it ? for free ? samples.
_____

* I'm curious; any other Douglas's fans here? Because I can write a book about Dave and his music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing