What are the 10 must-have classical recordings?

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Amir - it gives me great delight that you enjoyed this music so much. I took a chance and recommended music that was distinctly not on the popular "beaten path", e.g., Four Seasons, Bolero, etc. I hear things like that on elevators far too often, myself.

I will also say that while it is almost universal to declare many hi rez formats dead, especially SACD, I find that recordings made over the past decade or so in hi rez are the very best sounding recordings ever made. And, there are thousands of those. They keep coming, in spite of the pundits. While I greatly admire and love older classic performances, of which I have tons on LP, CD, SACD and BD-A, I am more interested today in great sounding recordings and different "takes" by contemporary conductors on great classics. It is part of what makes classical music very much a living art form. No one has yet conducted the last word interpretation of any work.

As to this specific recording, I am consistently impressed with the great, hi rez sound provided in live performances by the superb Concertgebouw Orchestra on their own RCO Live label. There are other, esoteric labels with similarly excellent track records in hi rez classical.

And, it gets even better sonically once you get your system set up for music in Mch!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So I just finished listening to these two which I purchased from Prostudiomasters, one at 96 Khz and the other, 88 Khz: http://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?q=Stravinsky:+Petrushka+-+Rachmaninoff:+Symphonic+Dances+#x

Oh man. I don't think I have ever heard live recordings this perfect! Stunning resolution and dynamics. Easily made it to my "audiophile" playlists! There is just a bit of orchestra shuffling and such between tracks which adds some realism to the sound. Clearly reference quality material as Fitzcarraldo correctly mentions.
You need to listen to this as Carl and I do, in multichannel, to fully appreciate it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You need to listen to this as Carl and I do, in multichannel, to fully appreciate it.
I here you :). I bought these in 2-ch unfortunately. But might be having a couple of SACDs show up. I will take those and listen in my dedicated theater and report back.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Speaking of that, these three SACDs were in today's mail that i just openned!

Will do a comparison and report back!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ah, I finally know what this delightful track is called :). Any specific performances you recommend?
Sorry I'm late but if still looking
Both are favorites

image.jpeg
David Russell on Telarc

image.jpeg
Goran Sollscher on DG

Plus I've recommended this one before
Tracks were on one of those MBL demo disc

image.jpeg
sonatas per Archi | Rossini Capricio
#'s 1-6 2 disc set

Also

image.jpeg
Paganini for two -
Shahan | Sollscher
Violin guitar DG

image.jpeg
They also have a Schubert for two on DG

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry I'm late but if still looking
Both are favorites

View attachment 23550
David Russell on Telarc

View attachment 23555
Goran Sollscher on DG

Plus I've recommended this one before
Tracks were on one of those MBL demo disc

Also

View attachment 23557
Paganini for two -
Shahan | Sollscher
Violin guitar DG
Thanks a bunch Ron. I picked up the above. They were hard to find in searches! Along the way, ran into this one:

Is this one any good?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Thanks a bunch Ron. I picked up the above. They were hard to find in searches! Along the way, ran into this one:

Is this one any good?
There are dozens of recordings of the Aranjuez. If you have been searching then you know what I meanI admit to not hearing this one or many others. I'll ask around as my daughters BIL has an MMA from the NECOM on the instrument.

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
Silencio Kremerata Balticum.jpg

Kremerata Baltica, Gidon Kremer and Tatjana Grindenko. Music composed by Arvo Pärt, Philip Glass and Vladimir Martynov. Someone wrote on Amazon if he had to seize down his collection from 1200 CD's to 12, this one would remain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing