What are members' impressions of Transparent Audio cables? Any thoughts?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks for the clarification. It was just not clear to me why you would bring up this negative experience in a thread about Transparent cables and now describe the culprit as being primarily the Ayre electronics. I thought you were earlier making some claims about Transparent versus MasterBuilt.

Easy. There was discussion about MB versus Transparent, and I have reason to believe (albeit inconclusive) that MB is a higher performing cable.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Easy. There was discussion about MB versus Transparent, and I have reason to believe (albeit inconclusive) that MB is a higher performing cable.

Please note that perhaps you have valid reasons to think so, but what you presented us is too vague to have any weight. I have listened in my room to many models of Transparent Audio, Crystal and Nordost during long years with plenty of equipment and still do not know which of them of them is "higher performing" .

Can you tell us what were exactly the models and prices of the cables you listened?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Please note that perhaps you have valid reasons to think so, but what you presented us is too vague to have any weight. I have listened in my room to many models of Transparent Audio, Crystal and Nordost during long years with plenty of equipment and still do not know which of them of them is "higher performing" .

Can you tell us what were exactly the models and prices of the cables you listened?

It is what it is; merely a data point. I would simply recommend any Transparent cable owner who is curious about MB to audition for themselves. They are different than any cable I've ever heard. At this point, based on what I've heard from both, if was using Transparent cables then I'd be very curious to hear MB in my system.

As to specific cables, the MB interconnects I heard were Ultra and Reference lines. Ultra being significantly better. The Transparent cables in the Wilson system were "Reference XL" according to the dealer. MB Ultra pricing is intense. I'm not aware of Transparent pricing.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Here is the Transparent system I recently heard. Ayre electronics, Clear Audio TT, Wilson Yvettes. I felt this sound was very flat and lacking in vibrance. The Wilsons do bass well, however I find the soft dome tweeters to be far too forgiving. The highs simply don't crash and sparkle the way they should.

Well, having listened to the new soft dome with a few different cables and electronics, I can say for sure that it doesn't lack anything in sparkle, while being far less aggressive and "in your face" than metal dome tweeters. Of course, I've heard both duller and more aggressive soft domes, but the Wilsons manage to be right in the middle, IMHO.
I'd look elsewhere (not the speakers) for your lack of sparkle.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, having listened to the new soft dome with a few different cables and electronics, I can say for sure that it doesn't lack anything in sparkle, while being far less aggressive and "in your face" than metal dome tweeters. Of course, I've heard both duller and more aggressive soft domes, but the Wilsons manage to be right in the middle, IMHO.

Room looks perhaps overdamped and too big for the Yvettes imo.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Room looks perhaps overdamped and too big for the Yvettes imo.

Yes that's what I was trying to figure out, and asked the owner about toe in and room treatment. I've not yet heard any soft dome tweeters that are as detailed as hard domes or ribbons. And soft dome off axis FR can be poor, so I wondered if that could have been the culprit. But the guy was adamant about the room and the speaker positioning. Simple questions seemed to make him defensive, though. *shrug*

Last edited:

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
It is what it is; merely a data point. I would simply recommend any Transparent cable owner who is curious about MB to audition for themselves. They are different than any cable I've ever heard. At this point, based on what I've heard from both, if was using Transparent cables then I'd be very curious to hear MB in my system.

As to specific cables, the MB interconnects I heard were Ultra and Reference lines. Ultra being significantly better. The Transparent cables in the Wilson system were "Reference XL" according to the dealer. MB Ultra pricing is intense. I'm not aware of Transparent pricing.

Hello Bazeluo

MB's Ultra is similar price to TA's Magnum opus RCA or just Opus xlr.
I'm wondering your comparing with MB's Ref and TA's XL.
As I know the price is...
MB ref < TA ref xlr or xl rca < MB sig < TA xl xlr or opus rca

Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) MB Ultra pricing is intense. I'm not aware of Transparent pricing.

Transparent Audio price lists are public - many dealers have them online. Unfortunately intense does not mean anything quantitatively and I do not see complete MB price lists anywhere. Although we are free to compare performances, unless we put values they are meaningless and can induce people in error.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

+1

IMHO, the new soft domes in the Wilson line are a MAJOR improvement over the old metal dome that was utilized. So much so, that prior to the revision, I would never consider a Wilson speaker, now they are certainly a contender...for me.
Alex is spot on...IF you are missing 'sparkle' then look elsewhere and not at the speakers. ( BTW, I'm not so sure 'sparkle' is actually present in any real life reproduction. Clean and non-distorted highs certainly are though).

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hello Bazeluo

MB's Ultra is similar price to TA's Magnum opus RCA or just Opus xlr.
I'm wondering your comparing with MB's Ref and TA's XL.

Thanks

Yeah, the Transparent system I heard used the XL but I don't know the price of XL compared to MB Ref. MB Ref in my opinion was nice, but I've heard better cables. When comparing side by side, you can tell that the Reference and Ultra were "cut from the same cloth" so to speak. For example they had the same general presentation, somewhat laid back. But the Reference line, for me, didn't come close to the Ultra in areas like microdynamics and detail. The utter effortlessness and tactile palpability (as I previous described) were unique to the Ultras.

microstrip - Masterbuilt publishes MSRPs on their website. The Ultra RCA interconnect was $17000/m per my recollection and I haven't cared to check on Transparent pricing. I don't have any skin in the game here, either. I don't own MB cables; I've only demoed them in home.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
+1

IMHO, the new soft domes in the Wilson line are a MAJOR improvement over the old metal dome that was utilized. So much so, that prior to the revision, I would never consider a Wilson speaker, now they are certainly a contender...for me.
Alex is spot on...IF you are missing 'sparkle' then look elsewhere and not at the speakers. ( BTW, I'm not so sure 'sparkle' is actually present in any real life reproduction. Clean and non-distorted highs certainly are though).

Instead of "sparkle", how about "shimmer"? The Wilson system didn't crash and shimmer like it should on familiar records. I know a common complaint with hard dome tweeters is harshness, aggressiveness, maybe brightness, etc... But, for me, the Wilson system went too far in the other direction. Alex might well be correct - and maybe the Class AB Ayre stuff made matters even worse. I'd listen to Wilson again given the opportunity, just to sort that out.

BTW, I realize it's a youtube video and the limitations therein, but this VTL/Wilson sound from avshowroom's very consistent mic is quite reminiscent of what I heard in person. The cymbals (and tambourine?) don't have a natural sounding shimmer. Top to bottom, there's a generally damped or perhaps overly smooth sound that doesn't appeal to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4w8BavaC_0&t=330s . I have that Vanessa Fernandez record, and definitely prefer how my Martens portray the treble. To each his own.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That's why i always stated dont dismiss the focal titanium dome because its older ,
Its always give and take with speaker design .
Im with bazelio

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
Yeah, the Transparent system I heard used the XL but I don't know the price of XL compared to MB Ref. MB Ref in my opinion was nice, but I've heard better cables. When comparing side by side, you can tell that the Reference and Ultra were "cut from the same cloth" so to speak. For example they had the same general presentation, somewhat laid back. But the Reference line, for me, didn't come close to the Ultra in areas like microdynamics and detail. The utter effortlessness and tactile palpability (as I previous described) were unique to the Ultras.

"Cut from the same cloth"... It is very interesting, I agree^^

I've ever compare MB's ref and sig (Ultra was not income to Korea). Ref was normally good. Well balance, wide spectrum, less dynamic. Sig added strong bass and some special high like as sparcle, particle, airy, ...

When I compared Siltech empress and triple crown. Empress shows what the siltech is. Perfect dynamic, gold sand high, less and tight bass. Triple crown added great bass and wide stage.

When I compared Transparent Magnum opus and Nordost valhalla2, magnum shows what the 'perfect' is. Great bass, natural, transparent, staging, perfetct high without any particle.

I hope to put the puzzle of TA. So want to listen TA's ref or xl.
If it is from same cloth, I'll go to TA. It maybe needs a month to audit TA in my home. If it does not meet my expectation, I'll keep MB ref.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bazelio,

You're welcome to visit us to hear a true soft dome (Wilson Alexia 2 and Sabrinas), as well as a very unique hybrid (YG Sonja 2.2).

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
bazelio,

You're welcome to visit us to hear a true soft dome (Wilson Alexia 2 and Sabrinas), as well as a very unique hybrid (YG Sonja 2.2).

My friend made an appointment, and I believe will be there today. But I heard you're out of town... In any event, he'll certainly be interested to hear your great lineup!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah I'm in Brazil for a while, but Fabio is there holding the fort :)

I haven't heard the Audio Research REF160M, as it arrived two days after I had left (as luck would have it), but Fabio says it's truly mind-blowing how good it is. Hope your friend can come down and have a listen!

cheers,
Alex

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah I'm in Brazil for a while, but Fabio is there holding the fort :)

I haven't heard the Audio Research REF160M, as it arrived two days after I had left (as luck would have it), but Fabio says it's truly mind-blowing how good it is. Hope your friend can come down and have a listen!

cheers,
Alex

He just heard those amps with TOTL Vandersteens yesterday.... His mind: blown. Yeah, these 160M sound like they are real winners.... I need to hear them too!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Baselio, after some time, came around to blaming the Ayre electronics for the lack of tactile holographic sound from the system. Not the speakers and not the cables. But, as others have pointed out, it could also have been the set up or room, or any number of other reasons. Two different systems in different rooms makes drawing such conclusions difficult at best.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
+1

Agreed. Sparkle or "glittering flashes of light" could easily be caused by high frequency distortion in the context of high end audio.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1

Alex is spot on . . .

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing