What are members' impressions of Transparent Audio cables? Any thoughts?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As I understand it it serves two primary purposes: at high speeds the swoops can create a downward pressure-based force vector on the network box which helps with road surface adhesion when cornering and 2) it reduces the Network Box's drag coefficient which improves mileage.

Your welcome......

Thank you!

My guess is that the shape allows an unperturbed flow of audio pressure waves over the network box, so that the box does not adulterate differentially the flow of different frequencies.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sometimes people forget that cables are electromechanical devices. . . .

I did not forget this. I never knew it in the first place.

I conceive of cables as electrical conduits; what are the mechanics to which you refer?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I did not forget this. I never knew it in the first place.

I conceive of cables as electrical conduits; what are the mechanics to which you refer?

Cables suffer from microphonics - any pressure or movement will generate electrical signals. When we are using Keithley electrometers, in order to know if they are properly connected we tap the cable and look at the needle! Why do you think that companies such as Mogami manufacture microphone cables that are specially designed to minimize these effects? If really interested go through the Belden or the Mogami site and read specifications and comments.

Many times people do not realize that a cable also behaves like a capacitor. When we are addressing signals that are bellow the sensitivity of of common audio analyzers (the case of cables) everything counts.

The model of cables as electrical conduits can not explain in full signal propagation (and modification ...) in cables. I hope you do not believe is some people stories about the good and the bad electrons ... :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its a first order low pass filter , the coil in the picture is in series.
You can also make a low pass filter by putting a capacitator in parallel.
Micro you state its an old picture do you have proof , IT looks like opus Shell to me.
Cost of the coil depends on the copper price. , From 5 to around 10 euro depending on value lol

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Cables suffer from microphonics - any pressure or movement will generate electrical signals. When we are using Keithley electrometers, in order to know if they are properly connected we tap the cable and look at the needle! Why do you think that companies such as Mogami manufacture microphone cables that are specially designed to minimize these effects? If really interested go through the Belden or the Mogami site and read specifications and comments.

Many times people do not realize that a cable also behaves like a capacitor. When we are addressing signals that are bellow the sensitivity of of common audio analyzers (the case of cables) everything counts.

The model of cables as electrical conduits can not explain in full signal propagation (and modification ...) in cables. I hope you do not believe is some people stories about the good and the bad electrons ... :)

Okay, Francisco. Very interesting! I am persuaded by the tap test you describe. Thank you.

This opens an entirely new field of tweak endeavor and audiophilia nervousa! So we all need cable elevators! And what about active or pneumatic isolation under the cables as well?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Okay, Francisco. Very interesting! I am persuaded by the tap test you describe. Thank you.

This opens an entirely new field of tweak endeavor and audiophilia nervousa! So we all need cable elevators! And what about active or pneumatic isolation under the cables as well?

The main difficulty is that we can never say all in this hobby. There are no easy universal rules. Cables are so different and systems have different sensitivities - what affects positively a cable can not affect or affect negatively another one.

Most of the differences we perceive in electronics have electromechanical causes. People are prepared to admit a few, but find harder to accept others. Concerning isolation, unless you clearly separate passive and active, IMHO the debate is always flawed.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I for one originally was very uncomfortable with the idea of a "network" on my cables, whatever the hell a "network" actually is. Then I tried them in my system. Now I don't give a damn what is inside or how they do it, in my system they made a very positive improvement to my experience of the music. If I had a crapload more money I might explore other cables, but not before I upgrade my tonearm, buy a new cartridge, add the clock to my Rossini, etc. etc. There may well be cables that sound better but auditioning cables is not much fun (IMHO), nor the potential cost if one believes a "loom" is the way to go. F'ing kill me if I start moving a particular cable around in my system to hear where it has the most impact. (Maybe I don't belong in the club!)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
...Then I tried them in my system. Now I don't give a damn what is inside or how they do it, in my system they made a very positive improvement to my experience of the music...
Same here. The end result as to what hits these ears is all that matters to me.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...I tried them in my system. Now I don't give a damn what is inside or how they do it, in my system they made a very positive improvement to my experience of the music. ...There may well be cables that sound better but auditioning cables is not much fun (IMHO), nor the potential cost if one believes a "loom" is the way to go....

+1. When i started out 2 systems ago in upgrading...i listened to several cables...found TA Ref and Ref XL (2005-2008 second hand), and I stuck with it...and have enjoyed upgrading at opportune times ever since when a dealer demo was available or a special trade-in price, etc. They sound great in the system, and always have been a meaningful improvement each time.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Its a first order low pass filter , the coil in the picture is in series.
You can also make a low pass filter by putting a capacitator in parallel.
Micro you state its an old picture do you have proof , IT looks like opus Shell to me.
Cost of the coil depends on the copper price. , From 5 to around 10 euro depending on value lol

How come the navigation system costs ~$1850 in a Porsche. Nav is free on my $600 iPhone. The cost of a off the shelf part isn't what they are charging for...if it was so easy to do I am sure a competitor would fill the void, same quality at a fraction of the price...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I really like my full set of Transparent Audio REF XL MM2. They replaced a full set of Harmonic Technology cables. I did try a pair of ICs from the other cable company with networks and these from Transparent were much better in my system because they sounded natural, like music. They are expensive. I visited the factory and it is a large business, lots of people, machinery, and an incredible listening/research room. It is a large successful operation which needs a lot of revenue to survive. I think they sell a lot of cables. I'm sure the newer, upper end Transparent cables are even better, but I have no plans to upgrade at the moment.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
I'm already using SC, PC, and AESEBU and considering to buy IC.

But I'm doing hesitate because my amp has only xlr inputs, and TA's xlr is double price of rca.
I understand because their network box needs ground signal, so xlr is same with two rca.

Is their anyone to compare their xlr and rca?
If xlr is double performance of rca, I'll buy it. ^^

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don’t think anyone claims xlr versions are double the performance. Part of this depends if your pre and amp and amps are truly fully balanced.

Another strategy is to step down a level for this interconnect if price is a primary concern.

I’m sure your dealer will let you try each or listen at his/her place ...

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Hello all.

I really don't care if TA cables has network boxes or don't care if anything is in them because in the end they play better, to my ears and to my liking, than any other cable I tried at home including Ansuz Ceramic Series, Nordost Valhalla and Odin series, top of line Crystal Cable, High Fidelity Cable, Shunyata Cables etc. I tried all of theses cables against my TA Cables and TA cables were better in the end. I had great deals with these other cables but to my liking and ears TA sound was simply more enjoyable.

So the argument of what is inside the box or how much worth of material is in there is irrelevant. It is a free market. TA produces a cable that makes my system plays it best (for me) so I will pay as high as my budget lets me to enjoy the result. If it was easy to make TA cables with 5 dollar parts why nobody is doing it! Please do it so I can sell my TA Cables and use the extra cash somewhere else in my system.

Again, all my comments are about my liking and expectation from an audio system. They are not facts. They may change drastically for the next person. And I hate to retune my TA Cables every time every time every time I change a component (thank God its free). I am praying to find a better sounding cable in my system to get rid of these retune shipment waiting cycles.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
I don’t think anyone claims xlr versions are double the performance. Part of this depends if your pre and amp and amps are truly fully balanced.

Another strategy is to step down a level for this interconnect if price is a primary concern.

I’m sure your dealer will let you try each or listen at his/her place ...

Thanks Jfrech
I'm using MB's reference xlr now.
If I change it to TA's XL, it would be upgrade. But if I change it to TA's reference, I'm not sure.

Anyway I'll request demo.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Cables suffer from microphonics - any pressure or movement will generate electrical signals. When we are using Keithley electrometers, in order to know if they are properly connected we tap the cable and look at the needle!

To which TA "solves" using goo inside the network box :rolleyes:

I'd put up $1,000 that nobody can reliably hear a difference in sound if a cable is tapped (unless the connection is not seated of course)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thanks Jfrech
If I change it to TA's XL, it would be upgrade. But if I change it to TA's reference, I'm not sure.

Ah that explains it. I didn't know you were mixing the MasterBuilt with TA. Not a good mix:(

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm already using SC, PC, and AESEBU and considering to buy IC.

But I'm doing hesitate because my amp has only xlr inputs, and TA's xlr is double price of rca.
I understand because their network box needs ground signal, so xlr is same with two rca.

Is their anyone to compare their xlr and rca?
If xlr is double performance of rca, I'll buy it. ^^

Thanks Jfrech

Are you saying that you have all Transparent cables now except for one MasterBuilt IC cable? From everything that I have read, the MB cables are much better than Transparent, so why do you think that getting a
Transparent XL IC would be an upgrade? Does mixing brands somehow diminish/effect the high quality of one MB IC?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing