Weiss Helios - POV on sound

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
I recently received my demo of the Weiss Helios. If you aren't familiar, I have tested dozens of DACs using the same 5 songs and offer a comparison of their sound profile. I find this to be most comparable to the Playback MPD-8, Aries Cerat Helene and EMM Labs DA2 V2.

I have had this unit in for several weeks and have spent time with it. A few things stand out. The unit is obviously much larger than the 501. It is 2x the price of the 501 so the question is, is it worth that upcharge. Obviously that is a matter of your budget and ability to pay the list price of $21,999. If the price tag is in your range, this thing is fantastic.

The two things that are most noteworthy about this DAC is the depth of image and detail/instrument separation. In my system, I have not heard another DAC deliver the depth of image that the Weiss delivers. It also has extraordinary instrument separation. To a point where I have not heard another DAC this good. It is also more neutral than the 501/502.

This DAC carves out its own space in the price range. It is slightly brighter than the Playback MPD8 and maybe is more truly neutral than the MPD8 which I believe drifts just a hair warm. There is a structure and stability to the image that is unlike anything I have heard. I historically have said no one is better between the speakers than Chord. This DAC is a step up from Dave and MScaler in my opinion. It also delivers an image beyond the speakers. The scale is not the same as Aries Cerat or Rockna but is still great.

Instrumental separation and the detail within moments like the drum rolls are extraordinary in In a Sentimental Mood. The absolute scale of the soundstage in Be Still My Beating Heart was not as extraordinary as the Aries Cerat or EMM but it is great. Noise floor is quite low.

Liberty is smooth and clean. Effects come from well away from the speakers. No sibilance at all. The opening of Duende is clear. This is the cleanest and clearest I have heard the bass solo. There is no smearing at all. Separation of strings in the Berg piece is just extraordinary.

This unit falls in a middle ground between Playback and Aries Cerat. It is not as big and dynamic as Aries Cerat. It is not as soulful and sweet as the Playback. But it is in this amazing middle ground that is enjoyable and really special. Best for folks where image structure and stability along with detail are primary concerns.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I recently received my demo of the Weiss Helios. If you aren't familiar, I have tested dozens of DACs using the same 5 songs and offer a comparison of their sound profile. I find this to be most comparable to the Playback MPD-8, Aries Cerat Helene and EMM Labs DA2 V2.

I have had this unit in for several weeks and have spent time with it. A few things stand out. The unit is obviously much larger than the 501. It is 2x the price of the 501 so the question is, is it worth that upcharge. Obviously that is a matter of your budget and ability to pay the list price of $21,999. If the price tag is in your range, this thing is fantastic.

The two things that are most noteworthy about this DAC is the depth of image and detail/instrument separation. In my system, I have not heard another DAC deliver the depth of image that the Weiss delivers. It also has extraordinary instrument separation. To a point where I have not heard another DAC this good. It is also more neutral than the 501/502.

This DAC carves out its own space in the price range. It is slightly brighter than the Playback MPD8 and maybe is more truly neutral than the MPD8 which I believe drifts just a hair warm. There is a structure and stability to the image that is unlike anything I have heard. I historically have said no one is better between the speakers than Chord. This DAC is a step up from Dave and MScaler in my opinion. It also delivers an image beyond the speakers. The scale is not the same as Aries Cerat or Rockna but is still great.

Instrumental separation and the detail within moments like the drum rolls are extraordinary in In a Sentimental Mood. The absolute scale of the soundstage in Be Still My Beating Heart was not as extraordinary as the Aries Cerat or EMM but it is great. Noise floor is quite low.

Liberty is smooth and clean. Effects come from well away from the speakers. No sibilance at all. The opening of Duende is clear. This is the cleanest and clearest I have heard the bass solo. There is no smearing at all. Separation of strings in the Berg piece is just extraordinary.

This unit falls in a middle ground between Playback and Aries Cerat. It is not as big and dynamic as Aries Cerat. It is not as soulful and sweet as the Playback. But it is in this amazing middle ground that is enjoyable and really special. Best for folks where image structure and stability along with detail are primary concerns.

Thank you for the comments on the new Weiss Helios dac. This very much is of interest to me as I own the Weiss DAC202, two of the Weiss BW-102 Mastering Digital Audio Workstations (DAW), a number of Weiss mastering studio equipment and have always been a fan and admirer of Daniel Weiss’ work and achievements in the worlds of Digital Audio and Mastering Studio equipment.

Also of interest to me is your description of the sound of the Weiss Helios DAC: “ the depth of image and detail/instrument separation. In my system, I have not heard another DAC deliver the depth of image that the Weiss delivers. It also has extraordinary instrument separation.”

Those are sound qualities of extreme interest to me.

Can you give the videos in the following post a listen and tell me how the sound compares to what you are hearing from the Weiss Helius DAC?

Five (5) reference videos

If possible, can you post a YouTube video of your system with the Weiss Helios DAC playing anyone, or more, of these five reference songs? If you already have a video with the Weiss Helios DAC playing a different song, post that for reference.

Would be interested to hear your commentary on how the sound of the Weiss Helios DAC compares to what you hear on the five videos on the link provided above. Thanks

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@VerdantAudio
Do you have any chance to compare the Helios to a similar priced Ideon Audio DAC?
Both are using ESS SABRE chips.

Matt

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Has anyone heard the Weiss vinyl emulation offered on their dacs and DSP units? Care to share your impressions?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Has anyone heard the Weiss vinyl emulation offered on their dacs and DSP units? Care to share your impressions?
I would ask here:

Matt

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
@Carlos269 I will post some videos and will listen to your videos. I have been busy and also have a set of Spatial X3s in the room that I was testing and need to get them out of the room so I can get back to my base setup.

@matthias I have not compared to the Ideon. I have compared to Playback, Aries Cerat and EMM as I have or had those units here in the past month.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr

PLAYBACK MPD-8 could be sound a bit warm if set up with not the best power cord or in its standard feet. I use a very high-end power cable from PRANAWIRE (ARHAT Lightspeed), I used for years on WEISS 502 4CH, Streamers, ... I used SR purple in my former MPS-8 and see what MPD-8 will do with SR Pink or Master. I tried HARMONIX cones and bases, and at the end using TU-210 ZXM+RF-999@+ base put this DAC in a world of transparency, bloom and exceptional soundstage. PLAYBACK uses flet under the 3 aluminium feet, very basic.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I red the Soundstage review but it is a point made with mid high-end gears. I begin my test this week-end, HELIOS arrived.

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
PLAYBACK MPD-8 could be sound a bit warm if set up with not the best power cord or in its standard feet. I use a very high-end power cable from PRANAWIRE (ARHAT Lightspeed), I used for years on WEISS 502 4CH, Streamers, ... I used SR purple in my former MPS-8 and see what MPD-8 will do with SR Pink or Master. I tried HARMONIX cones and bases, and at the end using TU-210 ZXM+RF-999@+ base put this DAC in a world of transparency, bloom and exceptional soundstage. PLAYBACK uses flet under the 3 aluminium feet, very basic.
I use an Inakustik power cable with my DACs and Server. For the most part I don't use SR stuff because I am not a dealer. I place everything within my lateral rack and usually try it with both IsoAcoustic Oreas and any other feet I have around. I have tested Critical Mass and a few others. For the most part, differences are pretty minimal as the rack provides decent isolation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing