Ithaka - DAC by Aries Cerat

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I recently decided to invest in the Ithaka DAC, which features a TriodeFet output stage instead of the inverted triode technology utilized in the Legend Series. The Kassandra & LE is based upon SET Output Stage.

With my extensive experience with various DACs, the Ithaka has captured my attention more than any other Aries Cerat DACs. Despite already owning the Kassandra, the pure resolution and absence of digital harshness in the sound of the Ithaka have truly impressed me. The music flows smoothly with a natural and organized tonality, drawing no undue attention to itself. Surprisingly, the DAC manages to make digital files sound remarkably analog. It's one of those rare moments where I find it difficult to articulate what I'm hearing, yet I am thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Prior to acquiring the Kassandra, I had owned the Playback Designs Dream and Syrah, various MSB models, both models of Aqua Acoustics, Lampi Big 7, Psaudio, Totaldac, and several others that didn't quite capture my interest. Additionally, I had borrowed various DACs from friends.

Last edited:

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I heard the Ithaca in my system for a few days and agree with your thoughts. It is an incredible DAC - it is also incredibly well designed but it’s a shame it‘s so heavy and has such a large footprint!

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Indeed, the DAC is substantial, weighing over 120KG, which may pose space constraints for some individuals. Nevertheless, beyond its considerable size and weight, the crucial focus lies on its exceptional sound quality. It delves deeper into recordings with heightened resolution and smoothness while preserving dynamics and ambient details.

I've been extremely enthusiastic about this DAC. Similar to the Quintessence Amplifier, it doesn't sound like a typical Tube-Based or Solid State DAC. Instead, it seems to possess the same level of smoothness and musicality found in triodefet amplifiers. It's detailed yet effortless, effortlessly producing a spacious musical sound stage in the room.

Do any members of this forum happen to own an Ithaka DAC ?

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
I own the Homerus DAC from Aires-Cerat which sits above the Kassandra but does have the SET output. I wondered if you or anyone has had an opportunity to directly compare the Ithaca to the Homerus. The Homerus is an absolute step up from the Kassandra LE.

Reactions: Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I own the Homerus DAC from Aires-Cerat which sits above the Kassandra but does have the SET output. I wondered if you or anyone has had an opportunity to directly compare the Ithaca to the Homerus. The Homerus is an absolute step up from the Kassandra LE.
Nice to see you back and posting again Billy :)

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Looking for a distributor that owns both products simultaneously? It's a rare find! The ultimate way to compare and truly experience these top performers is by visiting the Cyprus factory. When it comes to sound, the Ithaka offers a whole new experience compared to the Kassandra Series.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
i just came back from visiting Stavros for the second time, and we were doing - Ithaka - ithaka minor and Homerus testing...
you can keep your Homerus with no sleep walking in my book, you have the Ultimate DAC i know to date.

best of luck.

Reactions: Argonaut

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014
i just came back from visiting Stavros for the second time, and we were doing - Ithaka - ithaka minor and Homerus testing...
you can keep your Homerus with no sleep walking in my book, you have the Ultimate DAC i know to date.

best of luck.
Was it the two box or three box Homerus?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Was it the two box or three box Homerus?
the truth that i don't know, i didn't care so much :) (i think it was the two)
i'm going to have the Ithaka eventually either way. the Homerus price tag is to steep for me.
maybe some day in the far future.. who knows.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i'm going to have the Ithaka eventually either way. the Homerus price tag is to steep for me.
What made the Homerus even better in comparison with the no doubt excellent Ithaka?

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
We listened actually to my own unit, so two levels below the top three chassis Homerus:)

Cheers

• Love
Reactions: byrdparis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing