We All Have Those Kind of Days!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i've not owned an ET2, but on the Rockport that might be a 'level' issue on the arm shaft. and i also used acetone. regarding leveling, it's more that the arm tube is level, not the platter. if it's not level, the grooves will be trying to 'push' it uphill.....and obviously, the platter surface does need to be parallel with the arm tube.

i agree that cleaning is the most likely culprit, particularly if moisture gets into the air lines. then you may need to dry the air tubes with compressed air.

good luck!

Yes sometimes one even needs if this happens to popping the bearing out (it's held in by two o-rings) and cleaning it more thoroughly :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Jadis!

Hi Sam,

The issue could be lack of air, whether flow or pressure. Have you tried sliding the arm (with cueing lever up) and feel the slide as it gets near to the 1.5" area? Do you feel any tightness at this area? Like the arm is not smooth moving? That can mean a lack of air. Also, try to feel it at the beginning of the record, cueing lever up, and slide it and see if there is any tightness. For some reasons, this tightness happens at the beginning and at the end. Bruce will tell you to clean the manifold by removing the arm tube first. Then check air pressure. These are normally the culprits.

Sporadically, there is "tightness" at the beginning of the record that resolves with cleaning.
The arm with cartridge slides beautifully until it becomes recalcitrant at that ~1.5" reference point.
Thanks for your observations :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Mike,

i've not owned an ET2, but on the Rockport that might be a 'level' issue on the arm shaft. and i also used acetone. regarding leveling, it's more that the arm tube is level, not the platter. if it's not level, the grooves will be trying to 'push' it uphill.....and obviously, the platter surface does need to be parallel with the arm tube.

i agree that cleaning is the most likely culprit, particularly if moisture gets into the air lines. then you may need to dry the air tubes with compressed air.

good luck!

Both platter and arm shaft appear correct using a radial level for confirmation. A thorough cleaning is warranted, I suspect, along with fresh tubing and filter...will evaluate the Wisa for PSI.

Appreciate your chiming in :D

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Houston -- we have a problem...

...will evaluate the Wisa for PSI.

Wisa pump outlet @ 5.2 PSI...Airtech Surge Tank Air Reservoir outlet @ 0.2 PSI
Please let me know of any suggestions regarding the Airtech...I realize I could simply remove it from the chain, but I'm interested in effecting repair, if possible ;)

I'll google the web :p

Thanks.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wisa pump outlet @ 5.2 PSI...Airtech Surge Tank Air Reservoir outlet @ 0.2 PSI
Please let me know of any suggestions regarding the Airtech...I realize I could simply remove it from the chain, but I'm interested in effecting repair, if possible ;)

I'll google the web :p

Thanks.

Hi Sam,

0.2 psi? And that pressure of the surge tank feeds into the tonearm? I think that is where the problem lies. ET2 needs at least 3.0 psi to work, IIRC. As you said, it's simple to bypass the tank and plug the Wisa into your arm. And see how it travels now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing