WBF Train Wrecks! Love em or hate em.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Cordial discussion is always better than an argument. An argument is to find out who is right. A discussion is to find out what is right. In our hobby, I'd rather know what is right...or at the very least be educated enough through discussion to make my own informed decision as to what may be right for these ears.

Tom

Great post, Tom. This thread is to provoke discussion.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I signed on today and surprise, surprise, yet another thread train wreck, something about contact enhancement cream.

Somehow, I find myself enjoying these WBF thread closures. Am I weird or what? I like to see the progression from dialog to insanity to anger to name calling to thread closure. The one today takes the cake... one of the guilty parties went so far as to delete all the text in his numerous posts. I was LOL.

I would love to have a sub forum of nothing but closed threads so all the train wrecks can be in one place for special viewing times.

View attachment 16549

Peter, hope you have been well. Your post reminds me of the hysterical bit by the late great George Carlin. He said he could not understand rubbernecking and the need for drivers to slow down to check out horrific car accidents. He said it was some strange need to look at what repels us. He even said that it become so common place that they might have to call state troopers to a crash scene to bring the mangled bodies to rubbernecking motorists so they can get a good look and move on.:p

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I stated this once before but I will say again:

IMO, it's not the disagreeing that is the issue or even the strong feelings on one side or the other. It's all about how it is expressed. Example: You state "X" and I have a couple of choices. I can say "you are wrong (and if I am clever like some posters here, I can imply with that statement that not only are you wrong, you are a moron. OR, I can say something like: "My view is a bit different than yours". And then go on texpress your opinion.

And I'm not afraid to confess that I am on occassion guilty. There are a very few people who post here who come across as believing they are smarter, more qualified, more educated, better experienced than others and it just pisses me off and I respond inappropriately. I will try to restrain myself.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
There are no whipping boys here Myles and for you to throw this out is nothing more than an inflammatory post that serves no purpose other than your desire to start public fights.

Myles you need to read Lee's post above. You know the saying...."if the shoe fits... All of you guys need to look in a mirror and read the things you post. Forget the common bond of music. For articulate highly intelligent people as you all are it is mind boggling that some of the stuff you guys eschew is nothing more than kindergarten diatribe seen in a school sand box.
Perhaps rather than a subforum for closed threads maybe we should have a subforum for each days must juvenile post.

Get a grip guys. You are doctors, dentists, lawyers, PhDs etc you all have above average IQs but why is it that you can act like kids when discussing topics in which there are divergent opinions. Why do all of you regardless of your position not understand that it is OK to disagree rather than suggesting one is right and the other not.

OK recess is over kids

that's just it, you have more than a few alpha types that want to rule the roost and egos will clash. The banned threads often contain good info and they're the threads that ask the tough questions that I find interesting. When someone is making their point either way and its a well-supported argument I listen. I appreciate views opposed to mine that are well represented that don't denigrate into name calling. the objectivist vs subjectivist threads at times are quite thought provoking. its those that dig their heels and don't give an inch that annoy me.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
that's just it, you have more than a few alpha types that want to rule the roost and egos will clash. The banned threads often contain good info and they're the threads that ask the tough questions that I find interesting. When someone is making their point either way and its a well-supported argument I listen. I appreciate views opposed to mine that are well represented that don't denigrate into name calling. the objectivist vs subjectivist threads at times are quite thought provoking. its those that dig their heels and don't give an inch that annoy me.

Rob brings up a key point.

It's when someone has an "opinion" and hasn't done their homework and/or listened to the product/medium that sparks fly. Or won't read the prerequisite literature. Or won't provide the facts needed to support their contention. I don't care if someone's opinion differs from mine but at least listen to the product before posting.

Usually in a capitalistic economy, someone that has the "best" product charges the most. And if people don't buy it, the company goes out of business.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Guys, sorry about the other day, my girlfriend broke up with me and I started drinking a lot vodka and got drunk.

I don't even remember doing any of this until I looked at forum today.

Again I'm sorry that this happened so no more drinking for me like that anymore.

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
Guys, sorry about the other day, my girlfriend broke up with me and I started drinking a lot vodka and got drunk.

I don't even remember doing any of this until I looked at forum today.

Again I'm sorry that this happen so no more drinking for me like that anymore.

I've NEVER done anything like that!! :eek: LOL

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Usually in a capitalistic economy, someone that has the "best" product charges the most. And if people don't buy it, the company goes out of business.
But you know that when you get to "luxury goods" that relationship no longer holds, and there should be little doubt that some (maybe a lot of) gear discussed here falls into that category.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
But you know that when you get to "luxury goods" that relationship no longer holds, and there should be little doubt that some (maybe a lot of) gear discussed here falls into that category.

I can think of a lit of "expensive" high end companies that are no longer with us. As well as inexpensive too. The industry is littered with them. :(

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I can think of a lit of "expensive" high end companies that are no longer with us. As well as inexpensive too. The industry is littered with them. :(
Not only the audio industry, but many others as well. Making a good product (or even the "best") is no guarantee of success in the "free market", and OTOH making a mediocre one but marketing it well and/or having exceptional business acumen often is successful.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not only the audio industry, but many others as well. Making a good product (or even the "best") is no guarantee of success in the "free market", and OTOH making a mediocre one but marketing it well and/or having exceptional business acumen often is successful.

Yes it's called a product in search of a market! :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Probably would not have been toooooo many subjective/objective arguments about that product

My actions had little to do with subjective/objective arguments surrounding this questionable product ... it had everything to do with the original posters highly suspicious (deceptive?) actions.

Consider the circumstance, some new poster starts posting as a consumer but ... everything he claims is hyped prose, and it just so happens to contain the EXACT same grammar, text and exaggerated writing style written on the products official web-site, and furthermore ... it's so-called "testimonials" are littered with the EXACT same hype ... so all I did was question it's charlatan nature ...

WBF shouldn't be about hyping or endorsing bullshit ...

tb1

PS: no need to "blame" mep, although you can blame me ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
It's sad and embarrassing that WBF members (who are most likely in the higher percentiles for intelligence & earning) can devolve to the point of public humiliation.

Don't confuse reveal with devolve ...

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I like this thread.

Maybe it will accomplish the desired result for the mods.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I like this thread.

Maybe it will accomplish the desired result for the mods.

Let's just say this.......

The usual offenders posts now will be scrutinized by me and anything offensive will be removed and/or posts deleted. I have done that this morning already with an offending post sanitized. Warnings will NOT be issued to repeat offenders but I can promise you that you will see changes on this board. The whining by the babies here (on both sides) will stop or bans WILL be issued.

You all know to whom I am referring and I suggest that when the few of you who are the offenders read this, regardless of any friendships I have with you guys, will have no influence whatsoever on any decisions I make here that will ensure peace and stability at WBF.

I have even bolded my warnings so that there is no uncertainty on anyone's part

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And I can assure you that as a Mod on another forum, nothing is more unpleasant than having to issue suspensions or bans...especially those members with whom you've developed a more personal relationship. I had to do exactly that just yesterday.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing