WBF Train Wrecks! Love em or hate em.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I signed on today and surprise, surprise, yet another thread train wreck, something about contact enhancement cream.

Somehow, I find myself enjoying these WBF thread closures. Am I weird or what? I like to see the progression from dialog to insanity to anger to name calling to thread closure. The one today takes the cake... one of the guilty parties went so far as to delete all the text in his numerous posts. I was LOL.

I would love to have a sub forum of nothing but closed threads so all the train wrecks can be in one place for special viewing times.

train wrecks.JPG

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Humans are a funny lot, petty at times for sure.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yeah and there have been several threads closed lately and no longer can you use MEP as a whipping boy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yeah and there have been several threads closed lately and no longer can you use MEP as a whipping boy.

Interesting IMO how some see the glass as half full and others as half empty

Any other points the two of you would like to make. :confused:

Problem is Myles it's always the same usual suspects. If you want to discuss this with me I strongly encourage both of you to take this off line

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I signed on today and surprise, surprise, yet another thread train wreck, something about contact enhancement cream.

Somehow, I find myself enjoying these WBF thread closures. Am I weird or what? I like to see the progression from dialog to insanity to anger to name calling to thread closure. The one today takes the cake... one of the guilty parties went so far as to delete all the text in his numerous posts. I was LOL.

I would love to have a sub forum of nothing but closed threads so all the train wrecks can be in one place for special viewing times.

View attachment 16549

I think that is hilarious, and might actually be fun to read through!

Of course, the threads should remain closed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Oh, I think he's always ready to hang himself out there :D:p

Steve Williams

It's sad and embarrassing that WBF members (who are most likely in the higher percentiles for intelligence & earning) can devolve to the point of public humiliation.

Lee

There are no whipping boys here Myles and for you to throw this out is nothing more than an inflammatory post that serves no purpose other than your desire to start public fights.

Myles you need to read Lee's post above. You know the saying...."if the shoe fits... All of you guys need to look in a mirror and read the things you post. Forget the common bond of music. For articulate highly intelligent people as you all are it is mind boggling that some of the stuff you guys eschew is nothing more than kindergarten diatribe seen in a school sand box.
Perhaps rather than a subforum for closed threads maybe we should have a subforum for each days most juvenile post.

Get a grip guys. You are doctors, dentists, lawyers, PhDs etc. You all have above average IQs but why is it that you can act like kids when discussing topics in which there are divergent opinions. Why do all of you regardless of your position not understand that it is OK to disagree rather than suggesting one is right and the other not.

OK recess is over kids

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . .Perhaps rather than a subforum for closed threads maybe we should have a subforum for each days must juvenile post. . . .

. . . . So does that mean we can't have a sub-forum of closed thread train wrecks? :D

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Get a grip guys. You are doctors, dentists, lawyers, PhDs etc you all have above average IQs but why is it that you can act like kids when discussing topics in which there are divergent opinions. Why do all of you regardless of your position not understand that it is OK to disagree rather than suggesting one is right and the other not.

OK recess is over kids

Steve
Probably because this is America where we see eye to eye on virtually nothing. 48% of the population thinks the other 48% is ignorant and wrong. That other 48% think the first is ignorant and wrong. Then the last 4% thinks laughs think both of those are wrong. The national pastime has become denigrating others.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve
Probably because this is America where we see eye to eye on virtually nothing. 48% of the population thinks the other 48% is ignorant and wrong. That other 48% think the first is ignorant and wrong. Then the last 4% thinks laughs think both of those are wrong. The national pastime has become denigrating others.

The 4% think the 96% are ignorant and wrong. LOL.

Seriously though, we DO have a number of guys here that personally I kind of cringe before even reading their posts. Some are fan boys, some always seem to inject their current "angle" or "thing" into ANY thread, some have a knack for painting everything black or white. I read on anyway because it isn't like they are wrong ALL the time. If anything the frustrating part is when the feeling is you aren't allowed to defend yourself. We as moderators always try to allow both sides to present their sides and let the readership be the judge.

I do wish the fan boys, preachers and judge n' juries would exercise some thoughtful restraint. I also do wish that those excited by new finds do the same with their epiphanies.

If there is something I've learned about moderating forums for over a decade, it is the LANGUAGE that causes problems seldom the message itself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting IMO how some see the glass as half full and others as half empty

Any other points the two of you would like to make. :confused:

Problem is Myles it's always the same usual suspects. If you want to discuss this with me I strongly encourage both of you to take this off line

Last time I looked, the name of the forum is still "What's Best." No provisos. No qualifications. No caveats. No nothing. What brings the listener closest to the live music experience.

And as far as the half empty vs. half full glass of water analogy goes Steve, I'm hardly the Debby Downer here.

Steve Williams

Last time I looked, the name of the forum is still "What's Best." No provisos. No qualifications. No caveats. No nothing. What brings the listener closest to the live music experience.

And as far as the half empty vs. half full glass of water analogy goes Steve, I'm hardly the Debby Downer here.

Indeed you're not however if you look at a few of your posts this AM they certainly came across as argumentative with one in particular searching for someone with whom you can argue. As Jack said we try to be as even keel as we possibly can. When we do we always get heartburn from one side or the other.

Last I looked this is all for fun and is a hobby. Let's take a deep breath and vow none of us will be a Debby Downer (BTW she has more hair than you Myles :))

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'd like to think "What's Best" can be qualified, like by what's best at a given price point. Chances are nobody is going to agree on an absolute best of anything, always a little subjectivity and personal taste. My grandmother's best couch, well, just not my style... :D

Most everyone has more hair than me, let's move on... :)

Champ04

Sep 24, 2012
Illinois
A couple thoughts......
1) Even when you don't want to be combative, it's Oh so easy to fall into that. It's the nature of the beast. Classic group psychology.... When there is little to no consequence, people are a lot more bold (and degenerate). Guilty of this myself from time to time. Always end up feeling like an arse afterwards. Which is why I haven't even been on this forum in months. The last thread I was active in I was falsely accused of several things and name called. Can't say that I responded with total class. Took a time out because that sort of thing bothers me. Funny that this is the first thread I see when coming back.

2) True statistic: Something like 80% of the population think they are "above average" intelligence. I'm going to assume that everyone here is at least smart enough to see the irony there.

3) Income has VERY little to do with intelligence. As a young man I had the opportunity to hang out with a bunch of millionaires for a weekend. None of them were particularly impressive when it came to intelligence. The richest, by far, and perhaps the only real billionaire in the group was the gruff little guy with dirt under his fingernails.
This was confirmed later in life when working in an industry that was populated with Doctors, Lawyers, etc, etc. I'll not claim that they were idiots. They certainly knew their own trade. But immune to ignorance, idiocy, and general gullibility? Not in the least!

Bottom line as I see it. Every single day we are met with opportunities to act with class or act like children. The choice is made every single day. And some days are easier than others.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If there is anything that is What's Best about me, it's hair....I have great hair! :D:p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'd like to think "What's Best" can be qualified, like by what's best at a given price point. Chances are nobody is going to agree on an absolute best of anything, always a little subjectivity and personal taste. My grandmother's best couch, well, just not my style... :D

Most everyone has more hair than me, let's move on... :)

Agreed Don.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
North Star had the most hair. :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Cordial discussion is always better than an argument. An argument is to find out who is right. A discussion is to find out what is right. In our hobby, I'd rather know what is right...or at the very least be educated enough through discussion to make my own informed decision as to what may be right for these ears.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing