VPI Owners

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
To Fellow VPI enthusiasts,

I had the chance last week to trade plus cash my VPI TNT MK 2.5 + PLC to a VPI TNT MK 4 w/ TNT MK6 upgrade + SDS(platter, bearing,airball suspension and 2 motor single flywheel assembly same as HRX) What was absent was the Peripheral ring Clamp. I installed my tonearm and cartridge that came from my old TNT and was astounded by the sound of my new turntable.I cant imagine what improvement I will get if in tthe future I install the optional rim drive.

mondial

Did you get the Classic Al platter or the combo Super platter?

Rim will get you better solidity and harmonic timing. But Al platter really nails it. Less of that polite sound, bass like one hears on tape, greater transparency and resolution.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Did you get the Classic Al platter or the combo Super platter?

Rim will get you better solidity and harmonic timing. But Al platter really nails it. Less of that polite sound, bass like one hears on tape, greater transparency and resolution.

Hi Myles,

What I have right now is the Clear Acrylic Platter w/c i think compensates for my dark sounding or is it lush sounding Koetsu. I think this platter lighten up things a little bit. Whats can you say,comments regarding the Clear Acrylic platter? This Platter came standard on the TNT 6

thanks in advance,

mondial

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

What I have right now is the Clear Acrylic Platter w/c i think compensates for my dark sounding or is it lush sounding Koetsu. I think this platter lighten up things a little bit. Whats can you say,comments regarding the Clear Acrylic platter? This Platter came standard on the TNT 6

thanks in advance,

mondial

A while back had the chance to compare in my system the acrylic vs the then metacrylate platter (not the Super Platter). Basically thought the acrylic wasn't as extended at the bottom end and more extended at the top end than the metacrylate. Now that may or may not be the acrylic platter you have.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
A while back had the chance to compare in my system the acrylic vs the then metacrylate platter (not the Super Platter). Basically thought the acrylic wasn't as extended at the bottom end and more extended at the top end than the metacrylate. Now that may or may not be the acrylic platter you have.

Thanks myles,

I will be thinkin about the suggestion that you made regarding the platter.

mondial

msm

Jun 24, 2012
Here are some of my past VPIs:

TNT "chop chop"
The thing is a "chop chop" coz parts came from various TNTs:D
Plinth - TNT 5 (pre Hot Rod)
Suspension - TNT Jr.
Platter - Hernia inducing TNT 5
Motor / Flywheel / 3 Point Pulley - TNT 3

Scout

TNT Jr. Mk2
Plinth is a TNT 6 coz I was planning to upgrade it to full TNT 6 status - but this didn't materialize:(
Platter - Super Platter

Super Scout Master

Yeah, msm likes VPIs.:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What about the custom arm board on the top table?

Was wondering why you haven't tried the rim drive?

msm

Jun 24, 2012
What about the custom arm board on the top table?

Was wondering why you haven't tried the rim drive?

Hi Myles,

By the time the rim drive was made available by HW, I didn't have a VPI anymore.:( All are gone now.:( Actually, what I really want to try is HW's new Aluminium platter.

I've experimented with several types of wood for the armboard.

From left to right:
1. I ended up using this one but I forgot what type of wood it is. The light color is the original color of the wood, I just had it tinted dark brown as seen in my TNT chop chop.
2. Kamagong wood - A very hard and expensive wood here in the Philippines. Many people use this wood, but I personally didn't like the sound from this thing... well, in my system.
3. The one with the arm, I forgot also, but this was the worse among the bunch.:mad: Lumpy, lumpy, lumpy.

I've also experimented with platters. I ended up liking the TNT 5 given my relatively "analytical" cartridge I was using at the time.

TNT 3 platter at the left and the "Hernia Special" TNT 5 platter at the right.

Oh, I also tried this thing.:D I didn't hear any difference. Probably I don't have golden ears or my system wasn't revealing enough....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Fritz, even the msm's SSM is gone? What are you listening to your NW LP's now? :confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Now that last one is a cat's dream come true!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing