VPI Owners

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

I have the VPI Classic in walnut finish. I love the table, it sounds great.

Joe

How does the Classic compare to your previous table? Did you get the optional VTA adjustment capability?

joe1515

May 26, 2010
New York
My previous table was a pro-ject xpression III it obviously is far superior. No I did not get the optional VTA adjustment. My next upgrade is going to be the SDS drive.

Joe

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My previos table was a pro-ject xpression III it obviousely is far superior. No I did not get the optional VTA adjustment. My next upgrade is going to be the SDS drive.

Joe

Yes, the SDS should definitely drop the noise floor of the table and improve imaging.

You might also try a different power cord with the SDS-or even the Classic if it's detachable. Have talked with HW about the PC effect and he hears the same thing but can't explain why the PC improves the sound of the table. (of course lots of theories but no real proof :) )

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I had a Scoutmaster for awhile -- the SDS was near transformative IMO.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
I have a Scoutmaster Signature with a JMW 9 Memorial arm wired with Valhala wire, a Dynavector Karat D2 cartridge, screw down center clamp,outer rim ring, sitting on a ghinko cloud 10 isolation platform. Also have the 16.5 record cleaning machine. I am watching the used market for an sds.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I got an SDS for my Aries 2, it made life so much better. I have a lot of 12" singles so just not having to fiddle with the belts paid for itself. The real benefit was that our AC was making the motor run slow on a strobe. I kept my SDS when I went to the HRX and they served me for a pretty long time.

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Have been using a VPI HW19 MKIV with Audioquest PT7 tonearm for several years now, don't see the need to improve. Rock solid reliablity and plays those vinyl Lps with grace and ease. Yep a keeper and I don't say that a lot about audio gear.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I'm running an original Aries with a JMW 10.5 arm. Cartridge is a Grado Statement and I'm feeding it all through an Aesthetix Rhea phonostage. I've also got the SDS and a 16.5 RCM. I've always found VPI an amazing company to do business with and appreciate how they have always provided an upgrade path as part of the business model.

A couple of tweaks on mine include a Mystic Mat and the BDR clamp, plus some small cones under the motor to isolate it even more, and the table sits atop a Bright Star sand box.

Attachments

• VPI Table..jpg
    VPI Table..jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi Myles,

I just joined the WBF today. I currently am using a VPI TNT 2.5 w/ a Kuzma Stogi Ref tonearm. Cartridge is a Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Myles,

I just joined the WBF today. I currently am using a VPI TNT 2.5 w/ a Kuzma Stogi Ref tonearm. Cartridge is a Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

Cool, another Rosewood Signature user. :)

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Thanks Jadis for the kind words. Its my 3rd Koetsu. Started w/ the Black during the mid 80's then the Black Gold during the mid 90's then the Rosewood signature. Im currently using it w/ a Kuzma Stogi Ref w/c according to Franc Kuzma was the cartridge he used when he was designing the Stogi Reference tonearm ( check out the owners manual of the Stogi Reference & check the illustrations)

tdh888

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Miles - I had a VPI 19/TNT platter/SDS some years back and still miss it. I remember DL103r/Rega RB300 with it .. Just fantastic.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Jadis for the kind words. Its my 3rd Koetsu. Started w/ the Black during the mid 80's then the Black Gold during the mid 90's then the Rosewood signature. Im currently using it w/ a Kuzma Stogi Ref w/c according to Franc Kuzma was the cartridge he used when he was designing the Stogi Reference tonearm ( check out the owners manual of the Stogi Reference & check the illustrations)tdh888

Good to hear, thd888. I too had an 80s Black. I enjoyed it for lots of years after shifting from one cartridge to another. It was like a dream come true to own one. Then a few years ago I got a Rose Sig. Loved it since then, and in the next few years, or hopefully, months, I want to get a stone body Koetsu. Am one of those self-professed members of the 'Koetsu-only' club. LOL

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Im green w/ envy ,how I wish that I can move on to a stone bodied Koetsu. If only I had the mullah I will do it. Although Im not a member of the Koetsu -only club( I use a Benz -Micro in my secondary system) Its my TNT w/ the Koetsu that is in my primary system( ARC SP 11 MK2, Classic 150, Duntech C5000 Princess).

tdh888

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Im green w/ envy ,how I wish that I can move on to a stone bodied Koetsu. If only I had the mullah I will do it. Although Im not a member of the Koetsu -only club( I use a Benz -Micro in my secondary system) Its my TNT w/ the Koetsu that is in my primary system( ARC SP 11 MK2, Classic 150, Duntech C5000 Princess).

tdh888

nice system you got there, tdh888.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
To Fellow VPI enthusiasts,

I had the chance last week to trade plus cash my VPI TNT MK 2.5 + PLC to a VPI TNT MK 4 w/ TNT MK6 upgrade + SDS(platter, bearing,airball suspension and 2 motor single flywheel assembly same as HRX) What was absent was the Peripheral ring Clamp. I installed my tonearm and cartridge that came from my old TNT and was astounded by the sound of my new turntable.I cant imagine what improvement I will get if in tthe future I install the optional rim drive.

mondial

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing