There is a new king in town! Motorola Droidx

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Droid X's screen resolution is NOT the same as the iPhone. *The Droid X has a screen resolution of 480x854 (widescreen SD video). *The iPhone's resolution is 960x640 (half the resolution of 1080 video).
While that is true, the resolution of DroidX is extremely high given its small display. Converting it to dots-per-inch (dpi), its rating is a whopping 240. Here is a comparison to high fidelity desktop monitors:

21" display at 1600x1200 resolution = 95 dpi
30" display at 2560×1600 resolution = 101 dpi

Indeed there is no desktop monitor that comes remotely close to the resolution of my DroidX on a per inch basis.

*The Droid X has 8GBs of storage. *The iPhone has 16 or 32GBs of storage.
This is not accurate. DroidX has a removable micoSDhc card that can go up to 32 gigabytes today (much more in the future). My old Droid came with a 16 Gigabyte one and so did the new. So my sales person simply swapped the two and I had all of my content on the new phone. Can the iPhone do that? No! That is another way Apple jams its customers by refusing to use removable flash memory. All i* products use embedded flash, forcing you to buy an entirely new unit when you run out of storage, while saving apple production cost.

Why people don't scream louder than this is beyond me. When was the last time you bought a digital camera that came with only built-in flash memory? Why on earth do people tolerate the same with Apple products?

*The Droid X supports 802.11b/g. *The iPhone supports 802.11B/G/N.
Not correct according to Motorola (I haven't test it): http://developer.motorola.com/products/droidx/
It says they support all three.

So, with more storage, a better screen, better wireless connectivity, and tens of thousands of more apps - which phone do you want?
Their hand off my neck. :D Really, I want choices. I want a choice of networks. Apple doesn't give me that. I want a choice of phones. My DroidX is significantly larger which almost makes it like a mini-iPad. Browsing on it is just a joy.

Is it as well executed as Apple is? Probably not. And it certainly lacks the very deep catalog of aps that Apple has. But for a person like me who runs a few select things, it is pretty darn good. I had one of my guys who got an iPhone 4 play with it and he found nothing to complain about.

Over time, I think Android will catch up with Apple on apps. We know that from games that developers do support 2-3 platforms if they are high volume. Android has done incredibly well, coming from nowhere, against the strong forces of Apple, to get here.

Apple could have killed Android if they had supported Verizon a year ago. But now, the cat is out of the bag. The Droidx puts a smile on my face like no phone has done before. You really have to look at its large display to get a feel for this.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Amir the stats my son presented are taken from the droid site.

It's tough to ever convince an old MS exec about the virtues of the iPhone.

Now if they ever have an ipad version with a phone,cameraand 4G coverage and I will have one in my kitchen where it will perform admirably.

BTW Amir any thoughts about a Verizon transmission tower on the Apple campus

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir the stats my son presented are taken from the droid site.
So were mine Steve. I provided the link.

It's tough to ever convince an old MS exec about the virtues of the iPhone.
No at all. Google is the mortal enemy of Microsoft even worse than Apple. Yet here I am typing using Google Chrome and Droid.

Apple could get my business if they supported Verizon. I have an AT&T data card and it gets zero, and I mean zero, bars at our vacation house. Verizon gets a strong signal with throughput in the 300 to 400 kbits/sec. This is 30 minutes from nearest big city. The few people who have AT&T in that county curse that carrier even worse than typical Apple user.

BTW Amir any thoughts about a Verizon transmission tower on the Apple campus
I have not heard of that but Cupertino is a dense area so a cell tower near their facility doesn't mean anything. For testing, they would be get a private transponder anyway if they were working on a phone for that carrier.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Interesting 23 minute video comparing iPhone 4 and Droidx

Winner by a slight margin is still the iphone4

Add in the difference between Verizon and AT&T and the winner becomes.... :) Seriously, if people are happy with AT&T, then iPhone is for them. For the rest of us, we don't have anything to apologize for anymore. People love the slick look of my DroidX as much as any iPhone...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well Amir you know I am just yanking your chain because I hate AT&T and have said that too many times to count here. Having said that I won't give up on the iPhone because of bets that Verizon will be a provider in the hopefully not too distant future

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The cell phone review and information website to which I go for fairly in depth analysis also has a comparison of the Droid-X and iPhone 4, complete with side by side photos as well as a video.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
amirm, How is the battery life of the Droid X compared to the original Droid?
The salesman said its battery lasts longer and so far, he seems to be right anecdotally. I have been charging it daily and the battery barely moves from full. Right now, it says it has been on for 17 hours and it has lost maybe 1/4 of its charge. So at this rate, it should last about three days. I don't think my Droid every made it past two.

This is quite good as the display is bigger and processor more powerful.

This is one of the things TI does right with OMAP architecture where the CPU intensive things are put in dedicated DSP with lower power consumption.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW that DroidX looks like quite a handful. Any hand fatigue with long phone calls
I noted that this is indeed a problem. My fingers got tired after an even short call. I think I may have to developer a looser grip or hold it differently.

The unit btw, has a superb speakerphone so assuming your other party doesn't mind, that is a good way to get around the problem. When I was on hold for example with a customer service rep, that was the way I used it.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Amirm, I went to Verizon yesterday to try out the X. I got onto this site and it performed terrifically. I was really impressed. I logged in and went to ask you a question but "it" would not let me even enter a reply. Is this a limitation of the phone or was Verizon blocking this sort of interaction in their store demo?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There seems to be incompatility with its browser. The only button which works is" Reply". All other options do nothing. I am typing this using that on my droidx.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing