The Worlds Most Expensive Audio System.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am indeed curious to hear what it can do, chances of me coming across one though seem extremely slim.

Opus - if you have a chance to hear the Stahl-Tek Vekian Opus (Audio Exotics in Hong Kong)...i would LOVE to know what you think. You have a trained ear...and vast knowledge. And you call it like you see it...please let us know.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Second: Don't go too fast dismissing anything B&O their top of the line speaker the Beolab 5 (more of an integrated everything, it is a DAC , amp and active speaker)will give many High End system with speakers in the same price range a run for the money, a serious challenge ... B&O conduct serious research and the results have landed in more than one High End product ...

Agreed

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have heard the same about the Beo 5 as well...i have briefly heard them...sounded great on the soundtrack but to be fair did not do super critical listening. I think for the money, one could do better...but it would not be as beautiful nor as user friendly...and again, the beo 5 did sound quite impressive.

Lloyd

The Beolab 5 packs amps and DAC and some Room Bass correction for about $16,000 per pair ... For the money (An expression I have come to despise but find myself using :mad:) it is not easy to surpass ... one might do better but this is not a given. If one drops the prejudices for a few mins, this is one good sounding complete, full-range system, for $16,000 .. Try to assemble a full range system for 16,000 MSRP... I repeat: Full Range and capable of serious dynamic and scale no mini-mouse, mini-monitor reproduction ...Of course it is not perfect but what is?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I am aiming at nothing in particular. nor am comparing anything Just an off topic opinion.

Yes, but you have large experience and I valuate your opinion, I like to know how I should weight it. ;)

Currently there is one aspect that bothers me with digital - although I can have state of the art reproduction with an old turntable and phone preamplifier at decent prices, the more expensive CD systems seem to win by a large margin over the reasonably (OK, less than 10k !) price units if used in a top system that can show the differences. As I like to put explicit identification in such comments, I am referring to my limited experience with DCS Scarlatti and Metronome Kalista systems.

BTW, for me digital means red book (16/41) or the equivalent flac files. The offer is music in other formats is not enough to make me consider them other than for audio experiences.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We are seriously off topic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

The Beolab 5 packs amps and DAC and some Room Bass correction for about $16,000 per pair ... For the money (An expression I have come to despise but find myself using it :mad:) it is not easy to surpass ... one might do better but this is not a given. If one drops the prejudices for a few mins, this is one good sounding complete, full-range system, for $16,000 .. Try to assemble a full range system for 16,000 MSRP... I repeat: Full Range and capable of serious dynamic and scale no mini-mouse, mini-monitor reproduction ...Of course it is not perfect but what is?

Totally fair point...i honestly did not realize that all that came with the Beolabs...they did not say that at the B&O store when i was there...i came away thinking it was just active speakers. Would i look at Bryston, Quad/SF and sub with little dac for a shoot-out? I would but you're right....the Beolabs play seriously loudly...perhaps the refinement of the 'assembled' system might be superior....in any event, you are spot on...the Beolabs is pretty great stuff (including 'for the money').

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We are seriously off topic.

i have contributed to that...apologies for my part. Back on track...the world's most expensive system i have heard (2 actually) are the full Tidal system with (count them) 3 pairs of Tidal impact monos...and the XLF with Kalista Ref digital and D'Agostino monos with TA Opus cabling. $450K-$750K+. The most impressive things bout both were: absolutely low noise floor, effortless delivery of the tiniest nuances. The voicing of the systems was not to my taste...i prefer my own at home...but i know exactly where i wish to take my system on these other grounds having heard what both can do. It truly was eye (and ear) opening...particularly in the case of the Tidal system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's funny how everything is relative. Richard Vandersteens' all out design is not even the starting point for others.

I'd rather wear my gold and diamonds. I could impress more people.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, I didn't know this existed.

Have you seen this video?

FM 223
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0-AW6lZLcuA
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0-AW6lZLcuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First found here:
FM Acoustics FM 223 Phono Stage
http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/fm-acoustics-fm-223-phono-stage/

---- Very nice George; it looks and sounds beautiful, my type of musical component for sure. :cool:

Thx for sharing it. :b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
---- Yes, a well 'heeled' one (financially).

Even if you can't afford the Vivaldi, and I fall into that camp, it's important to hear the cutting edge if only for a baseline and ability to judge the medium fairly.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Even if you can't afford the Vivaldi, and I fall into that camp, it's important to hear the cutting edge if only for a baseline and ability to judge the medium fairly.

---- Myles I would love to, but that would require some unusual steps from my part as I don't have easily access to such high-end components from my neighborhood.

But I did see your exact point in it, and I'm in full accord with you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing