The WBF Video Tour of T.H.E. Show 2023

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for explaining.

There is a third possibility: that sounds from systems composed of currently produced components hastily set-up by dealers in mostly similar rooms exhibit less variance in sound than do systems composed of a mix of currently produced and not currently produced components meticulously set-up by hobbyists in dissimilar rooms in homes.

Certainly. You are welcome.

I have been to shows before and have heard a big range of sounds. I presume those shows had the same challenges that you describe here. This is what I referenced when answering your earlier questions about my judgement. I guess my question to you, Ron, is this: Does your video reflect, in your opinion, more or less, the sounds of the various systems, or does it not? If some more than others, why?

There was a time when I viewed videos thinking that the video more or less represents the sound of the system being captured on it. But having read this thread and others, there seem now to be all sorts of qualifications out there, from your Shure mic being better than the crappy iPhone mic, inches of mic position making a difference (why I asked about your set up), differences between phone models etc. It would be helpful to me if you commented, even briefly, about your opinion of the video compared to what you heard live. All I have is your video. You were there and did us all the service of making the video and sharing it on your WBF video channel. What are your thoughts about how well it captures what you heard?

Maybe people enjoy the montage/survey of the roughly 44 songs you recorded for the visuals and have no interest in discussing the sound it captures. That is fine too, but it is out there, and I am curious. As I wrote, I liked the "Spinning Wheel" song and the way it sounded. It stood out to me as being a bit more alive sounding.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I guess my question to you, Ron, is this: Does your video reflect, in your opinion, more or less, the sounds of the various systems, or does it not?

It depends on your definition of "more or less." I think the sounds on the video approximately represent the tonal balance and the resolution of the sounds I heard in the rooms.

Beyond tonal balance and resolution we disagree on the utility and efficacy of videos (but we don't have to re-hash those disagreements).

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I liked the "Spinning Wheel" song and the way it sounded. It stood out to me as being a bit more alive sounding.

I think "Spinning Wheel" was played louder than most other tracks in most other rooms. I think that's all you're picking up on through the video.

If you were in that room listening to that song I am pretty sure you would have critiqued it as "hi-fi sounding" and "unbalanced."

Reactions: Argonaut and XV-1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think "Spinning Wheel" was played louder than most other tracks in most other rooms. I think that's all you're picking up on through the video.

If you were in that room listening to that song I am pretty sure you would have critiqued it as "hi-fi sounding" and "unbalanced."

I don't know what that room is. It has a Cardas wire sign, Boulder and Nagra electronics, and a TW Acoustics turntable. All three cuts sound decent, the last one being on vinyl. Don't know about hifi sounding, but that room sounded more alive with some energy and dynamics from the system, at least to me over the video relative to most of the other 44 cuts.

Which was your favorite room?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know what that room is. It has a Cardas wire sign, Boulder and Nagra electronics, and a TW Acoustics turntable. All three cuts sound decent, the last one being on vinyl. Don't know about hifi sounding, but that room sounded more alive with some energy and dynamics from the system, at least to me over the video relative to most of the other 44 cuts.

Which was your favorite room?

My favorite big room was Gryphon. My favorite small room was Songer.

Reactions: songeraudio

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My favorite big room was Gryphon. My favorite small room was Songer.
Where was the small/ big cutoff? I would, for example consider my speakers as medium sized.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is a third possibility: that sounds from systems composed of currently produced components hastily set-up by dealers in mostly similar rooms exhibit less variance in sound than do systems composed of a mix of currently produced and not currently produced components meticulously set-up by hobbyists in dissimilar rooms in homes.
No. While incorrectly or hastily set up systems could all sound bad, they wouldn’t sound similar, with such different gear especially with different music and recordings played on them

Reactions: PeterA

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Gryphon managed to make the most of their big room at the show. They tamed the "eccentricities" of the room and assembled a system which worked better than others in their respective spaces.

T.H.E Show managed to be a show mostly about speakers than anything else. I say this because of all those who were in attendance with me when we started breaking down our perspectives on gear that moved the needle the discussions were focused primarily on speakers.

My favourite smaller/standard room at the show was the one highlighting the Wolf von Langa SON speakers.

Re: electronics special mention to Westminster Labs and Margules.

Reactions: gestalt

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My favourite smaller/standard room at the show was the one highlighting the Wolf von Langa SON speakers
I agree. It was my 3rd favorite room. I was simply stunned by these speakers

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
I agree. It was my 3rd favorite room. I was simply stunned by these speakers
Thanks Steve, it was a pleasure to meet you!

We had quite a lot of shipping damage and ended up making the best out of a system that was different than we intended. Please come visit us again at the California Audio Show or Capital Audio Fest to (hopefully) hear everything at its potential.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Id love to hear some of the big brothers to that speaker. Plus it was exquisitely made. I have to say Colin that there were many speakers at THE Show in the same price range as yours. They were all good but none in the same class as yours

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It depends on your definition of "more or less." I think the sounds on the video approximately represent the tonal balance and the resolution of the sounds I heard in the rooms.

I don't believe this is the case. Compared to what I have heard in person at the show from several of the systems featured, I simply do not recognize the sound from the video.

Yet it's nice to see the compilation of systems in the video, refreshes some memories of the ones I heard.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I re-listened to my show video tour on the desktop iMac. Peter, the sounds in the rooms sound materially different to me.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I re-listened to my show video tour on the desktop iMac. Peter, the sounds in the rooms sound materially different to me.

I don’t quite understand Ron. Are you saying the various systems sound different from each other on the video or are you now saying the video does not represent the tone and resolution of the systems you heard live?

To me, the systems all have a sameness to them over the video. Do you agree or disagree with that?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I don’t quite understand Ron. Are you saying the various systems sound different from each other on the video or are you now saying the video does not represent the tone and resolution of the systems you heard live?

To me, the systems all have a sameness to them over the video. Do you agree or disagree with that?
how long did it take for Ron to discover the best approach to get optimal differences in video's of his own system showing changes clearly? how much of that was finding the right spot in his room to get the most revealing recording? lots of trial and error.

so video's of a bunch of strange rooms and systems are going to be a bit homogenized relatively. how can they not be? unless you took multiple captures from various spots at various levels and reviewed them.

maybe other approaches and other tools somehow 'get' clearer info on differences? but maybe are not 'net' as good in other ways?

lots of unknowns with videos.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are you saying the various systems sound different from each other on the video or are you now saying the video does not represent the tone and resolution of the systems you heard live?
I am saying the various systems sound different from each other on the video.

It depends what you mean by "sameness."

I think all videos have a digital sameness and a sonic flatness sameness.

With regard to the show tour video I hear material differences in tonal balance and in resolution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing