The WBF Video Tour of T.H.E. Show 2023

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Please kindly subscribe to the WBF YouTube channel! Thank you!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Evolution Acoustics System certainly was a very interesting world debut! Perhaps Kevin Malmgren can discuss on a thread here his design philosophy going from 15" woofers to a phalynx of many small woofers? I sure am curious!

Reactions: Pokey77

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought Ken Songer's S2 (field coil, two-way, open baffle) made music! It was my favorite domestic-sized loudspeaker of the show!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I also thought that the Gryphon Audio Designs room and the Von Schweikert Audio room sounded great!

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
Interesting selection of demo music across the rooms

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I used in each room the exact same mic set-up for the Shure MV88+ for each recording.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Please kindly subscribe to the WBF YouTube channel! Thank you!
THX Ron! Great montage of rooms there... That 6 box Evolution speakers system is pretty wild... I once had Infinity IRS Betas... I thought 2 panels and 2 huge sub boxes was a lot! Of course the IRS beta towers were 'only' 1.7 meters tall... not over 2 meters like your Gryphons.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
THX Ron! Great montage of rooms there...

Thank you!

That 6 box Evolution speakers system is pretty wild

It is a striking-looking speaker system to me! I'm very curious about the woofer driver design.

I think in my video you can see them pumping hard even on Eva Cassidy. So I think there might be something interesting and unusual going on in that design.

I once had Infinity IRS Betas... I thought 2 panels and 2 huge sub boxes was a lot! Of course the IRS beta towers were 'only' 1.7 meters tall...

I remember pining over the Betas. But today the real biggies, obviously, are Gary's Genesis 1.1/Dragon/Prime loudspeakers.

not over 2 meters like your Gryphons.

As a result of a religious experience of the audio nature at Lyric Hi-Fi in 1987, the IRS V is the speaker that got me into this hobby. I love the lineage of how the Pendragon is Flemming's tribute to the IRS V.

Gary's design choices in the big Genesis versus Flemming's design choices in the Pendragon remain a source of fascination for me.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you!

It is a striking-looking speaker system to me! I'm very curious about the woofer driver design.

I think in my video you can see them pumping hard even on Eva Cassidy. So I think there might be something interesting and unusual going on in that design.

I remember pining over the Betas. But today the real biggies, obviously, are Gary's Genesis 1.1/Dragon/Prime loudspeakers.

As a result of a religious experience of the audio nature at Lyric Hi-Fi in 1987, the IRS V is the speaker that got me into this hobby. I love the lineage of how the Pendragon is Flemming's tribute to the IRS V.

Gary's design choices in the big Genesis versus Flemming's design choices in the Pendragon remain a source of fascination for me.
The biggest system I ever had was 2 pairs of Acoustat Spectra loudspeakers, stitched together with an Accuphase F-25 active crossover. The Acoutstat Spectra 2200 ran down to 100 hz and then I crossed them to the Acoustat Spectra 4400 as sub woofers (they are full range speakers but the 2200s were more transparent in the mids and highs). The Spectra 2200s are 1.7 meters tall and the Spectra 4400s are 2.4 meters tall! The Spectra 4400 were flat to 20 Hz in my room and had the tightest and most authoritative bass I ever had (even better than the Betas 4 x 12 servo controlled woofers). Acoustat used a thicker film than most other electrostats, which A) helped their longetivity greatly (they never need refurbishment unless physically damaged...and they don't arc) and B) gave them much more heft in the bass, which is a common complaint about electrostats. They had bass slam!

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
The biggest system I ever had was 2 pairs of Acoustat Spectra loudspeakers, stitched together with an Accuphase F-25 active crossover. The Acoutstat Spectra 2200 ran down to 100 hz and then I crossed them to the Acoustat Spectra 4400 as sub woofers (they are full range speakers but the 2200s were more transparent in the mids and highs). The Spectra 2200s are 1.7 meters tall and the Spectra 4400s are 2.4 meters tall! The Spectra 4400 were flat to 20 Hz in my room and had the tightest and most authoritative bass I ever had (even better than the Betas 4 x 12 servo controlled woofers). Acoustat used a thicker film than most other electrostats, which A) helped their longetivity greatly (they never need refurbishment unless physically damaged...and they don't arc) and B) gave them much more heft in the bass, which is a common complaint about electrostats. They had bass slam!
Sounds like a very interesting speaker system/set-up. Why did you ever wander away from that?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sounds like a very interesting speaker system/set-up. Why did you ever wander away from that?

if you have a question, the answer is horns

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you for this great video, it gives a good overall impression of this show.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
OK thank you Ron. I misunderstood you. I thought you set up the mic in a similar way in each room. I was looking for some kind of explanation about the mic location relative to the system in each room. There is a sameness to each video. I would’ve expected a greater variety of sounds from the various systems.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was looking for some kind of explanation about the mic location relative to the system in each room.

Sorry, I did not understand that you meant the physical location of the microphone in each room. In the majority of rooms I recorded from the center or one seat off of the center of the first row. You can tell the other cases in the video when you can see heads in front of the camera.

There is a sameness to each video.

How can you determine that whatever you are hearing is not approximately representative of the sound in each of the rooms in the video if you weren't there?

I would’ve expected a greater variety of sounds from the various systems.

Why?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How can you determine that whatever you are hearing is not approximately representative of the sound in the room this if you weren't there?

No, I was not there, but you posted the video, and we can watch and hear it. I can not tell if it is approximately representative of the sound or not approximately representative of the sound, especially if there is no comment from the author of the video. What I can do is comment on the sound of the video, which I did. Based on what I hear on the video, to me, and only to me, based on what I hear, there is a sameness to the sound from each room/system, with only a few exceptions.

Hugh Masekela's Coal Train on the "S.Y.S.T.E.M." is a typical example. It sounds similar to me to many of the other videos of the various systems in different rooms.

Why would I expect a greater variety of system sounds from your video? Based on my experience of listening to different systems live, and to various iPhone videos of systems. I see the variety of systems by looking at the images on the video. I would have expected this variety to provide a greater range of sounds.

What I can not determine is if the systems all sounded more or less similar, or if the recording technique presents a more or less sameness to the viewer/listener.

As an image document, a montage of the weekend, the video was interesting to watch, I imagine especially for those who could not be there in person. For a sense of what the systems sounded like, it is curious to me. Do you think the sound from the various rooms is well represented in your video? And if so, why?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Based on what I hear on the video, to me, and only to me, based on what I hear, there is a sameness to the sound from each room/system, with only a few exceptions.

. . .
What I can not determine is if the systems all sounded more or less similar, or if the recording technique presents a more or less sameness to the viewer/listener.

Thank you for explaining.

There is a third possibility: that sounds from systems composed of currently produced components hastily set-up by dealers in mostly similar rooms exhibit less variance in sound than do systems composed of a mix of currently produced and not currently produced components meticulously set-up by hobbyists in dissimilar rooms in homes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing