The ***Unofficial*** Multichannel DAC Thread

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You can also use 1,2,3,5,6,7 for 5.1 and 4,8 for stereo. This completely eliminates crosstalk in the center channel and stereo channels.

So if you're using channel 4 for stereo, then in MCH mode, you'll either have the Lfe, Ls or ?? coming out of your Left channel.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
So if you're using channel 4 for stereo, then in MCH mode, you'll either have the Lfe, Ls or ?? coming out of your Left channel.
Just switch cables. :D j/k

You can reroute channels in either playback software like JRiver or in the hardware driver mixer like on the Lynx AES16e. With software it can be automatic depending on whether the source is 5.1 or 2.0. With a driver mixer you have to reload your presets each time.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I got JRMC19 over the weekend. I am very happy with both the 2 channel sound with my BADA2 and USB and the cool ipad app My River, which allows me to access my almost 20 TB of digital files (mostly my own vinyl rips) from my seat. The Exasound E28 doesn't yet work with the JRMC19 - George emailed me that they are working on an update to the JRMC18 instructions (which don't quite fit the new menus and choices of MC19). However, it is working great with A+, so right now I can easily jump back and forth without changing a bunch of settings. I look forward to using the two zones in JRMC19, so I can change and select everything from my ipad. One issue came up that George solved. I had switched to Mavericks at the same time, and there is a conflict for the E28, so it doesn't work without a new driver. George sent me the driver for a fresh install of the Exasound software and it works great.

Larry

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
No. The Dirac measurement program is independent and connects directly to the output device. In fact, at the moment, it will not measure through the exaSound, so I am using another output device for testing. However, it will run the filters through jRiver and exaSound. A fix for the measurements is in the works.

I may soon get to test an exasound e28 using DIRAC full version. I've heard it's possible to measure with the e28 in DLCT if one uses an ASIO Bridge. I believe I've read that Mojave has experience using an ASIO Bridge in acourate as well.

How do you set the x-overs? I know I could do x-overs in Jriver room correction tab. But it seems like it could be done in DLCT by drawing the target curves. Maybe that would be a little clunky though. :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I may soon get to test an exasound e28 using DIRAC full version. I've heard it's possible to measure with the e28 in DLCT if one uses an ASIO Bridge. I believe I've read that Mojave has experience using an ASIO Bridge in acourate as well.
I just used the HDMI output of the PC.

How do you set the x-overs? I know I could do x-overs in Jriver room correction tab. But it seems like it could be done in DLCT by drawing the target curves. Maybe that would be a little clunky though. :)
Didn't try that but I do not usually use any bass management in this system.

Kal

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've got the workflow setup for DIRAC to integrate one or more subs into a 2CH system, I think. :)

The problem is that DIRAC lacks a cross-over, even in the full version. Therefore, one needs to cross-over the main R/L and the subs AFTER DIRAC sends the test sweep out from DIRAC Live Calibration Tool (DLCT). One could use an external cross-over or figure out how to re-route the test sweep through an app that can apply a cross-over too all channels. Of course, the question becomes: How does one route the DLCT test sweep through Jriver, then apply crossovers to all channels and then send the sweep out to the DAC, all through low latency ASIO drivers? You might ask: Why don't you simply select the Jriver ASIO driver as the output in DLCT? The answer is: it doesn't work.

As usual, I copied what others have done. I noticed Mojave talking about ASIO bridge, which can be downloaded here:
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm

This program allows one to route a low latency signal between two ASIO devices. ASIO bridge creates a virtual ASIO device which it refers to as an "input" and then one can use the Jriver ASIO device as the "output" inside the ASIO bridge control panel. I've tried it and it works! I haven't recorded any impulse responses yet but I doubt their will be any big issues doing so.

Once I get the Exasound e28, I plan to use this workflow to integrate the sub using DIRAC full version. I don't need to use DIRAC full version if I set the delays in Jriver but I know that full version will make it much easier for me to get the delays all perfect without any assistance from Nyal. :)

I would be curious to know whether anyone else has given multi-sub stereo a go using DIRAC and how you did it.

Michael.

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
I've got the workflow setup for DIRAC to integrate one or more subs into a 2CH system, I think. :)

The problem is that DIRAC lacks a cross-over, even in the full version. Therefore, one needs to cross-over the main R/L and the subs AFTER DIRAC sends the test sweep out from DIRAC Live Calibration Tool (DLCT). One could use an external cross-over or figure out how to re-route the test sweep through an app that can apply a cross-over too all channels. Of course, the question becomes: How does one route the DLCT test sweep through Jriver, then apply crossovers to all channels and then send the sweep out to the DAC, all through low latency ASIO drivers? You might ask: Why don't you simply select the Jriver ASIO driver as the output in DLCT? The answer is: it doesn't work.

As usual, I copied what others have done. I noticed Mojave talking about ASIO bridge, which can be downloaded here:
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm

This program allows one to route a low latency signal between two ASIO devices. ASIO bridge creates a virtual ASIO device which it refers to as an "input" and then one can use the Jriver ASIO device as the "output" inside the ASIO bridge control panel. I've tried it and it works! I haven't recorded any impulse responses yet but I doubt their will be any big issues doing so.

Once I get the Exasound e28, I plan to use this workflow to integrate the sub using DIRAC full version. I don't need to use DIRAC full version if I set the delays in Jriver but I know that full version will make it much easier for me to get the delays all perfect without any assistance from Nyal. :)

I would be curious to know whether anyone else has given multi-sub stereo a go using DIRAC and how you did it.

Michael.

Michael

I’m struggling to visualise how your system is set-up given the Total DAC and, now, e28 DAC. Are you using the Total DAC just for the main speakers and e28 DAC just for the subwoofers? And where is the volume control? It’d be great if you could elaborate on the system design as I’m interested in blending multiple subwoofers with stereo speakers so as to smooth bass.

Zydeco

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I didn't use the totaldac with the above described experiment. Btw, it didn't work. What I discovered is that one would need an external crossover to use DIRAC with multi-subs. I am still experimenting with other hardware. My totaldac is only 2CH. It's up for sale now since I've committed myself to implementing a multi-channel stereo setup.
Michael

I’m struggling to visualise how your system is set-up given the Total DAC and, now, e28 DAC. Are you using the Total DAC just for the main speakers and e28 DAC just for the subwoofers? And where is the volume control? It’d be great if you could elaborate on the system design as I’m interested in blending multiple subwoofers with stereo speakers so as to smooth bass.

Zydeco

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
I didn't use the totaldac with the above described experiment. Btw, it didn't work. What I discovered is that one would need an external crossover to use DIRAC with multi-subs. I am still experimenting with other hardware. My totaldac is only 2CH. It's up for sale now since I've committed myself to implementing a multi-channel stereo setup.

Michael

Ah. I’m struggling with a similar issue in our family room. My current thinking is to build a dedicated convolution computer that has an attached multi-channel DAC / audio interface. This would be based on Windows / AcourateConvolver with filters that encompass cross-over and room effects. My various sources could be connected the analogue / digital inputs of the audio interface and AcourateConvolver used to switch sources. It’s a lot simpler, of course, with a single computer based source. Best of luck.

Zyedco

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
What I want to do would be much easier if I used Acourate. It's more flexible than DIRAC. The problem is that I prefer DIRAC filters over my experience with acourate. Having said that, I'm no expert on Acourate. It's just taken me a really long time to find any DSP I could live with so I want to stick with it.

Michael

Ah. I’m struggling with a similar issue in our family room. My current thinking is to build a dedicated convolution computer that has an attached multi-channel DAC / audio interface. This would be based on Windows / AcourateConvolver with filters that encompass cross-over and room effects. My various sources could be connected the analogue / digital inputs of the audio interface and AcourateConvolver used to switch sources. It’s a lot simpler, of course, with a single computer based source. Best of luck.

Zyedco

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Michael

Zyedco
Since this thread is about multi-channel DACs, I'm currently building a system with a 16 channel Solid State Logic Alpha Link DAC. Four of the channels are for PB18H+ sealed midbass subs (same specs as TD18H+ but with dustcaps). I'm using JRiver to overlap crossovers with the mains so the PB18H+ subs will have a low pass at around 150-200 Hz and a high pass at around 40 Hz (or no high pass). The mains will have a high pass at 80 Hz. Anyway, what I really want to know is how you like your TD18H+ subs?

What I want to do would be much easier if I used Acourate. It's more flexible than DIRAC. The problem is that I prefer DIRAC filters over my experience with acourate. Having said that, I'm no expert on Acourate. It's just taken me a really long time to find any DSP I could live with so I want to stick with it.
Earlier you said you thought I'd used the ASIO bridge with Acourate. However, I use Audiolense and I only remember you mentioning trying Audiolense in the past. Do you have the two confused?

The latest version of Audiolense, 4.9, continues to improve things and seems very transparent. It does that with less fiddling with the target, too. What I mean by transparent is that the treble really sounds identical with/without the filter while still getting time aligned. For the past week I've been comparing back and forth with Audiolense filters vs using JRiver crossovers. I really like how easy it is to setup, measure, and implement complex multi-channel systems in Audiolense. There have been about 6 new versions of Audiolense in the past 1 1/2 years with lots of improvements.

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia

Understand. One idea might be possible to use Dirac to do room EQ filter and Acourate (or something else) to do the cross-over filter - with the convolution software that allows a bank of filters.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes. I did get them confused. Sorry about that. I really appreciate the info on ASIO bridge on the Jriver forum. I think it's pretty cool for sure and really got my imagination going on complex audio routing. I think I need a dry eraser board. :)

Are you using single point measurement or multi-point? I know you said that audiolense permits averaging different measurements. Is that what you do?

Since this thread is about multi-channel DACs, I'm currently building a system with a 16 channel Solid State Logic Alpha Link DAC. Four of the channels are for PB18H+ sealed midbass subs (same specs as TD18H+ but with dustcaps). I'm using JRiver to overlap crossovers with the mains so the PB18H+ subs will have a low pass at around 150-200 Hz and a high pass at around 40 Hz (or no high pass). The mains will have a high pass at 80 Hz. Anyway, what I really want to know is how you like your TD18H+ subs?

Earlier you said you thought I'd used the ASIO bridge with Acourate. However, I use Audiolense and I only remember you mentioning trying Audiolense in the past. Do you have the two confused?

The latest version of Audiolense, 4.9, continues to improve things and seems very transparent. It does that with less fiddling with the target, too. What I mean by transparent is that the treble really sounds identical with/without the filter while still getting time aligned. For the past week I've been comparing back and forth with Audiolense filters vs using JRiver crossovers. I really like how easy it is to setup, measure, and implement complex multi-channel systems in Audiolense. There have been about 6 new versions of Audiolense in the past 1 1/2 years with lots of improvements.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The DEQX HDP-4 is great. Nyal did a great job integrating 2 mono subs front/back walls and calibrating my speakers with a gentle yet very positive FIR filter from 1khz to 14khz. I just bought one. :D

Btw, DIRAC works well to provide EQ through the DEQX. I am not using the DEQX's PEQ.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
The DEQX HDP-4 is great. Nyal did a great job integrating 2 mono subs front/back walls and calibrating my speakers with a gentle yet very positive FIR filter from 1khz to 14khz. I just bought one. :D

Btw, DIRAC works well to provide EQ through the DEQX. I am not using the DEQX's PEQ.

How much did it cost for Nyal's services?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
He didn't charge for travel expenses from CA to TX?
I have excellent test gear. There's no need for him to travel. We did everything over teamviewer and phone.

There's only one minor adjustment needed to my rear sub. We will deal with that in a couple of weeks.

It wasn't necessary to do any listening while he worked on the crossover. I wouldn't change a thing. I think he knows how to get it right the first time. I've never heard a sub disappear like it does in my system. It's pretty remarkable.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I got JRMC19 over the weekend. I am very happy with both the 2 channel sound with my BADA2 and USB and the cool ipad app My River, which allows me to access my almost 20 TB of digital files (mostly my own vinyl rips) from my seat. The Exasound E28 doesn't yet work with the JRMC19 - George emailed me that they are working on an update to the JRMC18 instructions (which don't quite fit the new menus and choices of MC19). However, it is working great with A+, so right now I can easily jump back and forth without changing a bunch of settings. I look forward to using the two zones in JRMC19, so I can change and select everything from my ipad. One issue came up that George solved. I had switched to Mavericks at the same time, and there is a conflict for the E28, so it doesn't work without a new driver. George sent me the driver for a fresh install of the Exasound software and it works great.

Larry

I have the e28 running in Multichannel and Stereo with JRiver 19. The exaSound instructions neeed updating but the combination works fine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing