The Path to Paradise . . . or the Road to Ruin?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
He likes everything about the speakers except finds them a bit bright. His first criteria is transparency for vocals which they have, but he is very sensitive to brightness

Oh okay. He could balance that out with judicious choice of cartridge, loading, and valve preamp.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh okay. He could balance that out with judicious choice of cartridge, loading, and valve preamp.

I appreciate that thought, but I already tried it. I also auditioned the 101E Mk II on a friend's system playing vinyl and driven by tubes. My brightness issue was ameliorated partially, but not completely.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I appreciate that thought, but I already tried it. I also auditioned the 101E Mk II on a friend's system playing vinyl and driven by tubes. My brightness issue was ameliorated partially, but not completely.

Shame that, Ron. Those massive MBLs not the 101Es could have provided a gargantuan soundstage for you :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Shame that, Ron. Those massive MBLs not the 101Es could have provided a gargantuan soundstage for you :)

Think they are 101 extreme's or something like that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, look at the video again. It is Greg barons mooks that are making the difference

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I agree, Bill. But wouldn't two of those tweeters on each side make my brightness issue worse?

Do you not find the MBL 101E Mk II a bit bright?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, look at the video again. It is Greg barons mooks that are making the difference

1) Don't Mook me!

2) I am a huge fan of Greg Beron, both personally and professionally.

3) I am sure Greg's all-MBL system sounds fantastic.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I never heard the 101 Extremes, but a friend of mine has the 101's driven by Spectral, and they just don't play with majesty.

That is interesting, Gary. I greatly respect and admire Spectral components, but Spectral is not what I would think to use to drive MBLs.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I agree, Bill. But wouldn't two of those tweeters on each side make my brightness issue worse?

Do you not find the MBL 101E Mk II a bit bright?

I have not heard the 101E extensively enough, Ron. Just at shows tbh for 10 mins or so as I drop in and out of a room.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That is interesting, Gary. I greatly respect and admire Spectral components, but Spectral is not what I would think to use to drive MBLs.

I am with you, Ron from the short bursts of MBL that I heard. Just feel that something a touch warmer, darker and more full might synergise better with the MBL for my taste. Failing that, a super smooth and relaxing front end. Thinking Koetsu cartridge or DAC with valve output stage and smooth.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I have heard Gregs system and it is spectacular. Gregs system is one of the best I have ever heard. And Greg is a really nice guy too.

1) Don't Mook me!

2) I am a huge fan of Greg Beron, both personally and professionally.

3) I am sure Greg's all-MBL system sounds fantastic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am with you, Ron from the short bursts of MBL that I heard. Just feel that something a touch warmer, darker and more full might synergise better with the MBL for my taste. Failing that, a super smooth and relaxing front end. Thinking Koetsu cartridge or DAC with valve output stage and smooth.

Spectral amp is much better than the MBL 9011 on the MBL to muy ears. I have also heard ypsilon integrated which was very good. But spectral vs 9011 was a direct AB and it was better on all clients of tone, stage, speed, dynamics, smoothness.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Spectral amp is much better than the MBL 9011 on the MBL. I have also heard ypsilon integrated which was very good. But spectral vs 9011 was a direct AB and it was better on all clients of tone, stage, speed, dynamics, smoothness.
Wow ,you would imagine that MBL could design an amplifier suitable for their own loudspeaker, who'd have thunk!
Keith.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I agree on all points. But that is just my personal, subjective preference.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Spectral amp is much better than the MBL 9011 on the MBL to muy ears. I have also heard ypsilon integrated which was very good. But spectral vs 9011 was a direct AB and it was better on all clients of tone, stage, speed, dynamics, smoothness.

That is very interesting, Bonzo. Speed and dynamics I understand because those are two attributes for which Spectral is rightly famous and respected.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is very interesting, Bonzo. Speed and dynamics I understand because those are two attributes for which Spectral is rightly famous and respected.

That's a perception based on to the fact you don't like SS :)

They are excellent, really. Cab they compare to a hybrid or valve, dunno. With a koetsu cart or valve pre, maybe the system provides the best of everything. But you need to get Bill Ying, rye shun mook designer, who lives in SF, to come over and mook you like Greg. That is the secret sauce of hifi, and the moral of that link Bill posted

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Ysilon at least on paper sounds like it would work.

To be fair though, Ked, you still were not that enamoured with the MBLs so perhaps neither amp were optimal. I think you said tone wasn't great? Sounds like it needs some tubes in the chain.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ysilon at least on paper sounds like it would work.

To be fair though, Ked, you still were not that enamoured with the MBLs so perhaps neither amp were optimal. I think you said tone wasn't great? Sounds like it needs some tubes in the chain.

Yes but jump on spectral was significant and easy to observe. Those speakers not for me, certainly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing