The Path to Paradise . . . or the Road to Ruin?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Frantz,

I guess that's part of the trick. The more identifiable and more tonally complete, the lower the volume, the more intimate things get (at least to me). You still have a difference in perspective but it also feels like you've got the artists to yourself. It's like you're part of a very select audience that knows to hush the heck up when good music is to be had. I mean that kind of intimate rather than the proximity kind. Gotta love audio jargon! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What is the difference between the noise floor in a large room compared to a small room, the noise floor of the electronics will be the same,are you referring to the ambient noise of the room?
Sitting closer to the loudspeakers means you hear a greater proportion of direct sound,sitting further away there will be a greater proportion of reflected sound, it will be a different experience, just as sitting closer to the orchestra is a different experience from sitting further away.
Keith.

That would depend on the designs of the rooms now wouldn't it. If you mean "all things being equal" it would be the reverberation time. That's half of what room treatment is meant to do. The other half is dependent on desired coverage. We're past near vs far field at this point.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just wish I was along for the ride in person with Ron, checking out all these Super Speakers, as well as the super rooms that they are in. Thanks to Ron for taking the time to post his journey, if I can't be their at least I can read about it.

Thank you, Troy! I will do my best!

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
That would depend on the designs of the rooms now wouldn't it. If you mean "all things being equal" it would be the reverberation time. That's half of what room treatment is meant to do. The other half is dependent on desired coverage. We're past near vs far field at this point.
The noise floor usually refers to the electronics, I like not to be able to hear any noise from the speakers with the volume turned and no signal ,the ambient noise ,is the background noise of the room, cars, washing machine to etc.
Keith.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have now had extensive correspondence with Miro Krajnc, the owner of SoulSonic, which makes the Impulse loudspeaker. Miro is clearly smart and thoughtful and very nice. He has been designing speakers for a long time.

The Impulse is highly recommended by Matej of Mono and Stereo.

80" tall
full length dipole ribbon crossed over at 550 Hz
four 12" cones (open to the back)
the drivers are mounted in an all-glass baffle

http://www.soulsonicspeakers.com/impulse_se.html

The only place to audition the Impulse with tubes and vinyl is at the home of a customer of Miro's in Piran, Slovenia. That customer is awaiting a tube preamplifier. When the tube preamp comes in I may travel to Slovenia and meet Miro and have a listen at his customer's home.

PS: I already checked -- Slovenia is not where those American college students in the movie "Hostel" ran into big trouble. That was Slovakia.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, don't do it - you thought Taunton was just outside London when it's in fact close to 300 miles away LOL.
You've seen the film "American Werewolf In London", haven't you?! That's what happens to Americans when they stick their noses where they have no business :eek::p.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mr. Spaz, he indeed made the journey, brave brave man. Yes, Slovenia is where the locals ate the camera crew, and then came to London looking for work on full stomachs!
Where the Hell did they film "Human Centipede Full Sequence"? I'm glad I wasn't in the vicinity of THAT one!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have now had extensive correspondence with Miro Krajnc, the owner of SoulSonic, which makes the Impulse loudspeaker. Miro is clearly smart and thoughtful and very nice. He has been designing speakers for a long time.

The Impulse is highly recommended by Matej of Mono and Stereo.

80" tall
full length dipole ribbon crossed over at 550 Hz
four 12" cones (open to the back)
the drivers are mounted in an all-glass baffle

http://www.soulsonicspeakers.com/impulse_se.html

The only place to audition the Impulse with tubes and vinyl is at the home of a customer of Miro's in Piran, Slovenia. That customer is awaiting a tube preamplifier. When the tube preamp comes in I may travel to Slovenia and meet Miro and have a listen at his customer's home.

PS: I already checked -- Slovenia is not where those American college students in the movie "Hostel" ran into big trouble. That was Slovakia.

Slovenia is a nice place to visit for a day or two...Ljubljana is the capital and looks literally like a fairytale city...castle on the hill, street musicians, tiny winding river banks with cafes and tiny bridges...and i do mean tiny...if you have a good arm, you could throw a tennis ball across the river.

I went many years ago to pick up a CJ ACT 2...they are pretty serious out there with their high end audio. The vendor had a tremendous collection, purpose built room, as did his friends...a lot of fun.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tonight my wife and I were listening (on an iPad - yuck) to Anna Nalick, Sarah McLachlan, Sinead O'Connor and other singer/songwriters. I think I may not be able to give up a MartinLogan electrostatic midrange for female vocals.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tonight my wife and I were listening (on an iPad - yuck) to Anna Nalick, Sarah McLachlan, Sinead O'Connor and other singer/songwriters. I think I may not be able to give up a MartinLogan electrostatic midrange for female vocals.
Thanks for the post Ron. Reminded me to fill up my library with Anna Nalick albums :).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Amir,

Anna Nalick was a "one-hit wonder," but I think her one song -- "Breathe 2 am" -- is wonderful with amazing lyrics. She was 19 when she wrote:

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass glued to the table

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great writing. I previewed her other albums for an hour or so and found others that I liked. Not so much as her hit single but still good.

Even better were Amazon suggestions for other artists. I had not kept up with KT Tunstall and so filled up on her :). And discovered some other artists. I had to stop once I got to 8 new CD purchases last night. So thanks for the suggestions again.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Ron, an iPad, purlease!!!
I have a crystal ball, and confidently predict MLs will be in your possession for years to come. They speak to you, and female vocalists REALLY speak your language via them. Can't see that ever changing.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, any time line on when you will hear the Pendragon's?

I am waiting to hear back from Flemming but I am looking at dates in the first half of February.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron should go for the big boys - those humongous mbl beasts - he likes scale and will get it :)
He likes everything about the speakers except finds them a bit bright. His first criteria is transparency for vocals which they have, but he is very sensitive to brightness

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing