The last turntable and the last CD

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are many members here who can advise on the quality of the various forms of media available or for those titles that you are interested in. This is especially true when it comes to Jazz and Classical. However, my go to source for info on product quality, pressing quality, mastering info, etc. for CD, SACD and LP is the SHForums.

number95

May 14, 2014
RJ, here are my thoughts on the very valid points you raise.

A SACD reissue doesn't necessarily imply it will sound better than RB. All depends on how the RB and SA's were recorded, mastered, etc. Look at the reviews of some hi rez computer downloads. Same issue.

How do you know before bringing it home? Absent reading a credible review comparing the quality of SA v RB , you don't. Same anomaly exists in ALL formats.

I will say that in general and from my personal experience, SA's may initially sound less dynamic, spacious, and "alive" (too smooth) when compared to their RB counterparts. However, I find on repeated comparisons, they are (more often than not) more refined and, dare I say, more analogue and organic (easier on the ears) from a sonic perspective.

Regarding "reliable / quality" SA's, Pentatone and Channel Classics have always sounded exceptional in my system. Same goes for the Mercury Living Presence series.

Have any SACD's you might want to sell? I may be interested. I mainly listen to jazz and classical.

Best.

My experience with RB vs SA: SA with similar recordings have lower loudness hence first impression is RB being more dynamic, but when you adjust for same loudness level via preamp, SA is superior in terms of dynamic range and reproducing more realistic dynamics. In terms of resolution, SA is a clear winner it is closer to real music compared to RB. I also agree that SA sounds more organic, it is smoother hence musical flow and liquidity are better. RB sounds darker compared to SA. To me, SA is one step closer to analog/vinyl than RB. But I also agree to the argument SA superiority to RB is not warrented, it depends on recording, mastering etc. For instance good XRCD recordings are clearly superior to RB counterparts IMHO, proving better engineering behind makes a difference even within similar format.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There are many members here who can advise on the quality of the various forms of media available or for those titles that you are interested in. This is especially true when it comes to Jazz and Classical. However, my go to source for info on product quality, pressing quality, mastering info, etc. for CD, SACD and LP is the SHForums.

+1...i use the Hoffman forums often before going for a purchase just to see if any particular version is consistently and strongly favored.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
thanks for that gentleman, I will keep an eye out for these forums.

Wednesday night I discovered another few good quality cd recordings that I had stashed away in a corner. Eva cassidy live at blues alley and Jessica Williams on max jazz, wonderful recordings. My daughter picked up Coldplay's new album, ghost stories on vinyl, and I picked out an Eric Clapton, eric & friends, appreciation to jj cale. Two great vinyl recordings, standard not 180g audiophile.

The other fantastic thing is I received my cj preamp Act2 back with all the upgrades to a series II. Now this level of reproduction I have not experienced from my system! The highs are well and truly extended, the bass is far more prominent, solid and has a greater lively impact to it, and probably the most important part of the upgrade overall, is the midrange. Oh! That midrange coming through the stats and on both mediums vinyl and digital are very 3d, with full life like imaging. I was listening to a couple of tracks from Patricia Barber's cafe blue album and distortion of love, awesome stuff.
The Miles Davis, kind of blue on vinyl is another endless hours of pleasure.

The upgrades included more Teflon caps, more vishay resistors and metal film caps.acaps. An upgrade on the connections and some internal wiring with extra gold/silver soldering. Sounds fantastic and now I don't see any reason to upgrade this to a Gat for a while.

I might as well sit back and enjoy the music, especially now that my daughter also sits in.
No more sweet spot but a real sweetheart to be next to!
Cheers to all, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Cheers mate, yes she has really caught onto this vinyl format sooner than I ever expected! She is very creative and artistic, has a flare for genuine acoustic music that has rytham and a good melody. She hates anything with synthesizesers or artificial electronic music. She seems to love anything with natural instruments and adapted to this from a very early age. She knows almost every kind of instrument out there and how it should sound. That's why when I got the TT, she took an immediate liking to it.

She would not sit with me during my digital sessions, as she feels she has heard it many times before but whenever I put on a lp, she comes to the lounge straight away to see what I'm playing. One thing for sure is when I'm old and done, I know to whom I would pass on my system to, and I also know that person will really appreciate it!

Her passion for artistic music and what she shares with me has made me very happy, something I did right for her in this world. It seems like jazz runs in the family; my mum was a jazz pianist, my bro played the baritone for his high school jazz band, dad was a drummer and played bass, and I played the tuba, and was part of the jazz mini band in elementary school. Great music has always been around us...

By the way, I viewed your system pics, awesome setup! At one point I thought your speakers were the SF Cremona Auditors, then when I looked closer, I realized they were the awesome magico's, fantastic stuff.
That SME TT must be something, wish I could listen to this, I bet I would learn a hell of lot from your system .
Cheers, and enjoy that music! RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings to all,
It looks like the cricket world cup final is going to be a serious nail biter with plenty of rhythm and blues. .. Australia vs New Zealand.

In the meantime, I picked up three new albums (all 180g pressings brand new) from Thomas Music, great music store been around for decades. The lp from David Sanborn and trio Bobby Hutchinson, Joey DeFrancesco and Billy Hart is outstanding! Superb recording with excellent detail. Absolutely no pops, clicks very quiet. Also picked up Kenny Burrell my heart stood still. Another fantastic recording that was recorded on the spot in the studio New York City March 12 1956, wow!
Finally picked up a good one by the one and only, Nina Simone on a label I have not come across, "4 bearded men". Another excellent recording, slight static between tracks on silent passages only, guess this is normal for a 1960's recording. Sounds fantastic though, very involving and has that late night club smokey bar feeling. Great accompanying with a scotch and cigar in hand...

Thought I'd just share this one for the vinyl lovers, cheers, RJ

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Greetings to all,
It looks like the cricket world cup final is going to be a serious nail biter with plenty of rhythm and blues. .. Australia vs New Zealand.

In the meantime, I picked up three new albums (all 180g pressings brand new) from Thomas Music, great music store been around for decades. The lp from David Sanborn and trio Bobby Hutchinson, Joey DeFrancesco and Billy Hart is outstanding! Superb recording with excellent detail. Absolutely no pops, clicks very quiet. Also picked up Kenny Burrell my heart stood still. Another fantastic recording that was recorded on the spot in the studio New York City March 12 1956, wow!
Finally picked up a good one by the one and only, Nina Simone on a label I have not come across, "4 bearded men". Another excellent recording, slight static between tracks on silent passages only, guess this is normal for a 1960's recording. Sounds fantastic though, very involving and has that late night club smokey bar feeling. Great accompanying with a scotch and cigar in hand...

Thought I'd just share this one for the vinyl lovers, cheers, RJ

Did you mean 4 Men With Beards? Be careful with that label as most of the stuff is very noisy and they don't really have a good reputation with most vinyl enthusiasts.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey there Johnny, yes it is 4 men with beards rather. Seems like I got the label mixed up. ..
A bit noisy indeed but not too bad. The Act2 manages to keep things fairly quiet. This lp is alright, the tunes from Nina Simone have been recorded quite well, although the best sounds have been from the other 180g audiophile pressings.
Many thanks for that, I will certainly keep a look out. I think I got away with this one!
Thanks mate

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey there Johnny, yes it is 4 men with beards rather. Seems like I got the label mixed up. ..
A bit noisy indeed but not too bad. The Act2 manages to keep things fairly quiet. This lp is alright, the tunes from Nina Simone have been recorded quite well, although the best sounds have been from the other 180g audiophile pressings.
Many thanks for that, I will certainly keep a look out. I think I got away with this one!
Thanks mate

Glad to hear you ended up with a copy you enjoy! Do you guys have Record Store Day down under?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
No, have not heard of, I don't think we have that down here. Perhaps in Sydney, not sure.

What is record day? Sounds interesting though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No, have not heard of, I don't think we have that down here. Perhaps in Sydney, not sure.

What is record day? Sounds interesting though.

Here's some history about RSD from Wikipedia. It's an interesting read.

Here is the U.S. website for RSD. I searched for Australia, but it doesn't appear there are any participating stores.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Wow! That's awesome.
Nothing like that ever happens over here. I don't think Australia has even thought of such an event like this where we could learn so much from.

With events like this, sad to say but Australia is quiet backward, it would probably take around 20 years for them to organize something like this, even then it wouldn't turn out right....

Ours is a sporting nation, formula one, horse racing, cricket, rugby, footy, rugby league, and tennis, that's about it. Australians are overly passionate about their sports, hence are sour losers. We love our sports but when it comes to high-end audio or specialized music, clueless!

A former boss of mine saw my system and quoted "this stuff sounds batty to me".
My entire system doesn't even cost half the price of some high-end speakers out there!
And he thinks I'm retarded...

Cheers mate, RJ
enjoy record day!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wow! That's awesome.
Nothing like that ever happens over here. I don't think Australia has even thought of such an event like this where we could learn so much from.

With events like this, sad to say but Australia is quiet backward, it would probably take around 20 years for them to organize something like this, even then it wouldn't turn out right....

Ours is a sporting nation, formula one, horse racing, cricket, rugby, footy, rugby league, and tennis, that's about it. Australians are overly passionate about their sports, hence are sour losers. We love our sports but when it comes to high-end audio or specialized music, clueless!

A former boss of mine saw my system and quoted "this stuff sounds batty to me".
My entire system doesn't even cost half the price of some high-end speakers out there!
And he thinks I'm retarded...

Cheers mate, RJ
enjoy record day!

Are you really Australian RJ? This country is nothing at all like you have expressed... It is in most part a fair minded and culturally rich society. Sorry you see us that way.

Graham

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Are you really Australian RJ? This country is nothing at all like you have expressed... It is in most part a fair minded and culturally rich society. Sorry you see us that way.

Graham

Yeah right!

Maybe I should share this with everyone since you asked;

Since living here for nearly 11 years the following has happened to us:
1. My daughter was racially abused in kinder garten, prep, grade one and up until grade 5. She was told that her skin is disgusting and she should go back to India.
(we are not even from India!) The principal stepped in and sorted it out but was later dismissed from her primary school due to some other reasons of handling racial slurs.

2. My wife was bullied, harressed and unfairly made redundant at her work place. She fought back with counselling, depressions pills, and the union and won her position back! She is a real fighter and I am proud of her. Because she fought hard, she won so many supporters who are Aussies themselves and the above words/claims I have used is actually from them not really me!

3. During one of my work places, there were these huge letters spray painted on my car: "go back home you bloody Indian". again we are not from India, and they were ticked off because I replaced the former Marketing Manager...

4. At my current work place, I was racially abused, and harressed as well on a daily basis by a tall big Aussie who thought that because of his size could get away with anything. He was messing with the wrong planet! I intervened one night at the doc warehouse where I sent him flying for nearly 5 secs until he hit a pallet and fell like a sack of potatoes!
He apologized profusely and we are now quite good friends. He said these same words again as I have noted above, again they're not what I'm saying, this is how they feel.

5. One of my former bosses from Kenya, was attacked when he walked home to get the train one night. He had a big cut to his forehead. He was ok, since he's about 6ft6" and managed to free himself. However they smashed his lap top and ran off with his wallet and watch. Later on his car they had written the words, "go home you n....." I don't think it is necessary to spell the rest her, as it is quite obvious.

I must say, that in all my travels (Europe, USA, South America, Africa, South East Asia, Japan, haven't been to China yet) I have cherished the US experience the most. I made friends for life both at university, neighborhood community and in the military. The courage, compassion, friendship, and trust I harnessed from the US is like no other! It certainly took a while to gain their trust, even during college I had to physically prove myself to be part of the "hood". Even in the military, being overseas was not an easy task. However, once you gain their trust, you will be their friend for life! I have so many fond memories of the US, from African American community to the regular brothers, plenty of girl friends, families calling you over for thanks giving, spending weeks on people's yachts, and listening to senior citizens world war stories from WW2 to Vietnam. I was also given the house keys from my Dean of the College of Business, to look after his house when they were away on vacation! He trusted me so much that he knew I would never hold any parties nor destroy or steal from it, and would look after it like my own home, and boy did I look after it. I looked after the place so well that I was given the keys by nearly all college staff members whenever they went on vacation, and ended up doing this as a part time job! This is also where I learned quite a lot from high-end audio, since many of them had pretty nice audio systems such as, Martin Logan, Infinity, Dunlevy, Theil, B&W, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Bryston, Classe and Krells...

So as you can see I have had a wonderful journey. I love Australia, and yes it is definitely rich and diverse no doubt! It is sad however when there are certain extreme elements even in a primary school... It also saddens me to hear about the recent riots in the US town of Furguson, and the cops who use excessive force on African American's sometimes, still to this day. This is definitely not good. I was watching a clip the other day where two cops are using excessive force in Alabama all because the dude failed to stop at a Stop sign...? What on earth is going on?

All countries has it flaws, certainly my own one, where I am originally from, Sri Lanka, had a 30 year long civil war where we killed over 300,000 people from both sides of conflict. Nearly every president that has ruled Sri Lanka is bloody corrupt and has blood on their hands, which reminds me why Australia is such a beautiful country! There hardly is any corruption, hardly any crime (I can laugh at the crime rate over in Melbourne compared to the US), a more equal distribution of income, and some wonderful people!
There are of course certain things that are a bit backward and unfair, that never seem to be "fixable" perhaps one day when my daughter runs for presidency, or better still if an Aborigine became president, why not?

So Mr. Tao, when I make a claim, I make it from a vast field of experience that you would not have any clue about, and what's better still is some of the claims that I have made are not my words at all, these are words from YOUR own fellow Aussies mate!
There are plenty more stories I can go on about, like for example in 2013, on father's day, driving home from the mall, I was attacked by a group of 7 teenagers! Apparently I had run him over, whatever... The actual incident was some "nut job" came darting across the freeway and hit my car, next thing I park onto the side to help him out. Turns out he was quite fine, and this particular group do this on a regular basis to have a bash up and get money from the people like us. Again they were messing with the wrong planet. When I took my coat off and said "kids please bring at least 20 of you d-heads and then perhaps I might want to play", nearly all of them started running except 6 of them, who were later arrested by the police when they showed up. The cops very own words "I do apologize sir for all the inconvenience caused, racial abuse and physical abuse, we know these boys quite well!" and yes I still do LOVE Australia!

It is probably one of the best countries to live in, and Melbourne is the greatest city in the world!
Cheers Tao and to all fellow Aussies! By the way, Australia won the cricket world cup, against NZ. Beat them by a far margin and quite easily, well done!
Enjoy the music! RJ

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yeah right!

Maybe I should share this with everyone since you asked;

Since living here for nearly 11 years the following has happened to us:
1. My daughter was racially abused in kinder garten, prep, grade one and up until grade 5. She was told that her skin is disgusting and she should go back to India.
(we are not even from India!) The principal stepped in and sorted it out but was later dismissed from her primary school due to some other reasons of handling racial slurs.

2. My wife was bullied, harressed and unfairly made redundant at her work place. She fought back with counselling, depressions pills, and the union and won her position back! She is a real fighter and I am proud of her. Because she fought hard, she won so many supporters who are Aussies themselves and the above words/claims I have used is actually from them not really me!

3. During one of my work places, there were these huge letters spray painted on my car: "go back home you bloody Indian". again we are not from India, and they were ticked off because I replaced the former Marketing Manager...

4. At my current work place, I was racially abused, and harressed as well on a daily basis by a tall big Aussie who thought that because of his size could get away with anything. He was messing with the wrong planet! I intervened one night at the doc warehouse where I sent him flying for nearly 5 secs until he hit a pallet and fell like a sack of potatoes!
He apologized profusely and we are now quite good friends. He said these same words again as I have noted above, again they're not what I'm saying, this is how they feel.

5. One of my former bosses from Kenya, was attacked when he walked home to get the train one night. He had a big cut to his forehead. He was ok, since he's about 6ft6" and managed to free himself. However they smashed his lap top and ran off with his wallet and watch. Later on his car they had written the words, "go home you n....." I don't think it is necessary to spell the rest her, as it is quite obvious.

I must say, that in all my travels (Europe, USA, South America, Africa, South East Asia, Japan, haven't been to China yet) I have cherished the US experience the most. I made friends for life both at university, neighborhood community and in the military. The courage, compassion, friendship, and trust I harnessed from the US is like no other! It certainly took a while to gain their trust, even during college I had to physically prove myself to be part of the "hood". Even in the military, being overseas was not an easy task. However, once you gain their trust, you will be their friend for life! I have so many fond memories of the US, from African American community to the regular brothers, plenty of girl friends, families calling you over for thanks giving, spending weeks on people's yachts, and listening to senior citizens world war stories from WW2 to Vietnam. I was also given the house keys from my Dean of the College of Business, to look after his house when they were away on vacation! He trusted me so much that he knew I would never hold any parties nor destroy or steal from it, and would look after it like my own home, and boy did I look after it. I looked after the place so well that I was given the keys by nearly all college staff members whenever they went on vacation, and ended up doing this as a part time job! This is also where I learned quite a lot from high-end audio, since many of them had pretty nice audio systems such as, Martin Logan, Infinity, Dunlevy, Theil, B&W, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Bryston, Classe and Krells...

So as you can see I have had a wonderful journey. I love Australia, and yes it is definitely rich and diverse no doubt! It is sad however when there are certain extreme elements even in a primary school... It also saddens me to hear about the recent riots in the US town of Furguson, and the cops who use excessive force on African American's sometimes, still to this day. This is definitely not good. I was watching a clip the other day where two cops are using excessive force in Alabama all because the dude failed to stop at a Stop sign...? What on earth is going on?

All countries has it flaws, certainly my own one, where I am originally from, Sri Lanka, had a 30 year long civil war where we killed over 300,000 people from both sides of conflict. Nearly every president that has ruled Sri Lanka is bloody corrupt and has blood on their hands, which reminds me why Australia is such a beautiful country! There hardly is any corruption, hardly any crime (I can laugh at the crime rate over in Melbourne compared to the US), a more equal distribution of income, and some wonderful people!
There are of course certain things that are a bit backward and unfair, that never seem to be "fixable" perhaps one day when my daughter runs for presidency, or better still if an Aborigine became president, why not?

So Mr. Tao, when I make a claim, I make it from a vast field of experience that you would not have any clue about, and what's better still is some of the claims that I have made are not my words at all, these are words from YOUR own fellow Aussies mate!
There are plenty more stories I can go on about, like for example in 2013, on father's day, driving home from the mall, I was attacked by a group of 7 teenagers! Apparently I had run him over, whatever... The actual incident was some "nut job" came darting across the freeway and hit my car, next thing I park onto the side to help him out. Turns out he was quite fine, and this particular group do this on a regular basis to have a bash up and get money from the people like us. Again they were messing with the wrong planet. When I took my coat off and said "kids please bring at least 20 of you d-heads and then perhaps I might want to play", nearly all of them started running except 6 of them, who were later arrested by the police when they showed up. The cops very own words "I do apologize sir for all the inconvenience caused, racial abuse and physical abuse, we know these boys quite well!" and yes I still do LOVE Australia!

It is probably one of the best countries to live in, and Melbourne is the greatest city in the world!
Cheers Tao and to all fellow Aussies! By the way, Australia won the cricket world cup, against NZ. Beat them by a far margin and quite easily, well done!
Enjoy the music! RJ
There are no excuses for racial hatred and bigotry. There are clearly many issues from your post RJ that I wish would be resolved well for you. Hatred and bitterness are not good for anyone. I stand by my comment. Australia is culturally rich and vibrant place, we are blessed with a great cultural diversity, for all the horrible instances of hate that you site I can thankfully also match with many examples of extraordinary moments of genuine love and compassion. I hope you can find more of the latter in your time here.

Regards
Graham

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks mate, and yes I have moved on and l love my life here, although I do sometimes miss my overseas stints.

I nearly received a medal after the primary school incident! My wife was furious at the racial comments that kept happening each year my daughter progressed... I told her that I would deal with it my way, and so on her 6th birthday, I invited the whole class! All students including their families, we had a huge BBQ at the park, and I organized games as well for all the kids and juniors along with prizes. We showed them who we actually are, and from that point on wards they started respecting us. Some of the parents became our best friends later on during grade 6 and onto high school.

My wife started working here for a furniture store as a sales rep, I was working in a warehouse. Now she is the head of her division at a well known university, and my daughter is now in high school, part of the school's Jazz mini-band, plays trombone, and trains in jujitsu. She is a "high distinction" student, and has topped the class in all subjects. So all the unnecessary bollocks we have been through, to me seems like a bit of horse play because frankly without a bit of bollocks, life would be boring...

I can only account for two things that caused all this nonsense to take place:
1. The primary school parents, the naughty teens, the night thugs and random hooligans were a bit uneducated
2. They clearly didn't enjoy their MUSIC!

Now this is where you need to get a decent turntable, some tube amplification and electrostatic speakers, and some fine digital too! Oh! I forgot one more thing, that scotch and of course that cigar...
Cheers Tao

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

You forgot sailing in your list of sports. I guess the climate is good for lots of outdoor activities.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Gentlemen and all true music lovers, something wonderful just happened this sunny afternoon!
I had to share;

Was on the bus to work as usual, and my daughter had down loaded some tunes of Adele on my phone. She is absolutely thrilled with the LP by the way, and we were listening to it last night when we realized a full scale orchestra backing Adele's vocals, which is very prominent on vinyl. So just as an experiment we wanted to check out some digital versions of just to see if the sonics were as effective.

As I was fiddling with my phone, one of Adele's tunes went off "love song" and I couldn't figure out how to either turn it down or soften the loudness, I was never really good with smart phones to begin with...
Anyway, just right there in front of me was a baby girl who was absolutely loving the tunes coming from my phone. Then when I figured out how to turn it down, she started to wail a bit and looked unhappy, so then I turned it back up again, and all smiles and even some clapping. I had a brief note with the mum, and she said just leave it on as loud as you can because she really loves your music! And so I did, she was in total JOY! All smiles, gleaming with enthusiasm as Adele's Love Song was blasting away on my Samsung, it was as if the little girl knew every word to the tune! It was a real treat to experience this little gesture of life!

After that I realized something glorious: music hits us in all forms, whether on public transport, our cars, air crafts, or our high-end systems, whatever it may be, when it hits us right we will enjoy it no matter on what medium! Therefore, many of us are trying to keep up or update to the impossibility of either live music or some dealer's system, and this cycle never ends, as there will always be another component out there, which we will crave for. In all due respects, I honestly think good enough is as "good enough."

Just as I had posted this somewhere earlier, I realized that little girl was really enjoying the music. She didn't care if it was coming from a tin can coconut or a million dollar system, all she wanted to hear was the tune! From this point onwards, I am now truly satisfied with what I have in my audio system, and I can truly say that it is "good enough!"

Therefore, I ask the question to fellow audiophiles, music lovers and enthusiasts, are you truly satisfied with what you currently have? Have you ever just sat back and looked at what you've got and appreciated it for what it is, can do and delivers, and if the answer is yes, then you have achieved the "good enough" factor by a far margin!

After this point, there is really nothing else that you would ever require, other than some good company, peace and quiet to enjoy your music, and most of all share with your loved ones. Cheers to the "good enough" systems out there! Sometimes we don't realize what we have until we've lost it...
RJ

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"good enough" is a choice I am fortunate enough to have learned to make. Whomever said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing certainly knew a lot. When I was heavy into the study of the recording arts I went through a period where I dissected everything. It didn't matter if it was a commercial jingle, a song, a tv show or a movie. When you know how things are made sometimes you just can't help but go over the details others would normally gloss over or miss altogether. It's just human nature. A woodworker would be looking at grain patterns and stuff while the ordinary guy would just be looking at the overall appeal or lack thereof. Someone into guns would be checking out rifling or counting grains. So on and so forth. It really is easy to get to a point where you can miss the forest for the trees but if you learn to flip that switch in your head all that joy comes back. All it takes really is to take a few deep breaths to create that first moment of calm. I like guns. Not PC but recently I bought a cheapo break barrel .177 airgun and I'm having a ball plunking cans in the backyard at only 12m or so. No need to go to a range 20k away to play with a NATO 5mm at 100+ m. A perfect example of good enough. I must admit that the high powered rifle definitely has better bass! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing