Please recommend some Monoblock Amps

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
Hello all,
Would love some advise of a couple of non-tube based monoblock amps. My budget is up to 18k. I am open to new or used.

Current system built -
Pass XP-20 pre
Technics SL G700 mk1 CD/SACD/Network
Kinki Studio stereo EX-M7(replacing with some monoblocks)
PureAudio Project Trio w/Coax - biwire/amp able
Rega P6 - tweaked out
All cabling Harmonic Technology

I listen most to CD/SACD, Dowloaded digital music, vinyl. Was looking for neutral with sliver of warm.

For reference, of my taste, my theater/multi SACD/DVDA is
Bryston B9^2
Cary Audio Cinema 12
Arcam FMJ 139 universal
Cambridge Audio CXU universal
Tannoy XT 8/6/C
-would describe this as fairly neutral with a touch toward analytical.

Reactions: Sunny

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
If you already know you like Bryston, why not get Bryston monoblocks? A pair of 7B3 monoblocks would fall within your budget.

Reactions: GSOphile and ecwl

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
You should check out AudioNet. With an 18k budget you could get used AudioNet Amp monos and have money to spare on some very nice stuff. I used to run the APL DSD SR Mk II DAC with an Innuos Zenith SE server. It was pure liquid digital with detail to match.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDgtt and JasperJ

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
You should check out AudioNet. With an 18k budget you could get used AudioNet Amp monos and have money to spare on some very nice stuff. I used to run the APL DSD SR Mk II DAC with an Innuos Zenith SE server. It was pure liquid digital with detail to match.
I though I ran though the A's already...thanks for the heads up on AudioNet. Never heard of them will check out.

Last edited:

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
If you already know you like Bryston, why not get Bryston monoblocks? A pair of 7B3 monoblocks would fall within your budget.
Yeah, was on my list to circle back with. Have a dealer by me that has Chord, Bryston and Pass so I was going to do a comparison on those. I have not been in the market to look at new gear in about 15 years so. Moved a few years ago to a place that I could set up a secondary system and have always wanted to go the open baffle route and did not want to be brand loyal, or keep an open mind on newer gear.

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
I'm really curious. Why only monoblocks? There are some incredible stereo amplifiers these days.
Not totally rational lol, but I was able to acquire some nice, but short speaker cables and have the xovers detached. I do have a piece of furniture to house my gear and it is all filled up now(current amp sideways next to the furniture with extra long cable runs), so I would have to buy something else. I also am at the point I actually have the budget to get a pair.

Reactions: retired farmer

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Not totally rational lol, but I was able to acquire some nice, but short speaker cables and have the xovers detached. I do have a piece of furniture to house my gear and it is all filled up now(current amp sideways next to the furniture with extra long cable runs), so I would have to buy something else. I also am at the point I actually have the budget to get a pair.
Makes sense to me!

Reactions: retired farmer

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Having used Bryston monoblocks (7B ST and 7B SST)years ago, the more recent versions should be fine.

Other options I've used and found sonically yet better than the Brystons I had are:

Sanders Magtech Monoblocks
Sanders Magtech stereo amps (which sound better than the Sanders monoblocks and still have PLENTYy of power)
Audio by Van Alstine DVA M225
Benchmark AHB2 run in mono

The Benchmarks are what I currently use and I have absolutely no complaints. See my discussion at this link.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
The Parasound JC1+ might be a consideration. Plays well with Pass Labs preamps and can be had in the preowned market well below your budget.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: Bones13

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Hello all,
Would love some advise of a couple of non-tube based monoblock amps. My budget is up to 18k. I am open to new or used.

Current system built -
Pass XP-20 pre
Technics SL G700 mk1 CD/SACD/Network
Kinki Studio stereo EX-M7(replacing with some monoblocks)
PureAudio Project Trio w/Coax - biwire/amp able
Rega P6 - tweaked out

I listen most to CD/SACD, Dowloaded digital music, vinyl. Was looking for neutral with sliver of warm.

For reference, of my taste, my theater/multi SACD/DVDA is
Bryston B9^2
Cary Audio Cinema 12
Arcam FMJ 139 universal
Cambridge Audio CXU universal
Tannoy XT 8/6/C
-would describe this as fairly neutral with a touch toward analytical.
Now that I took the time to learn a bit about the high efficency PureAudioProject speakers you are using the Parasound JC1+ might be overkill in the power department. On the other hand, the JC1+ is a remarkably refined amplifier that runs in Class A up to 25 watts. The more I think about it I certainly would enjoy giving that combination a listen.

Please keep us posted as you narrow the field.
Threads of this type provide the vicarious experience of new equipment acquisition without the cost; much appreciated! ;)

Reactions: sujay

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Now that I took the time to learn a bit about the high efficency PureAudioProject speakers you are using the Parasound JC1+ might be overkill in the power department. On the other hand, the JC1+ is a remarkably refined amplifier that runs in Class A up to 25 watts. The more I think about it I certainly would enjoy giving that combination a listen.

Please keep us posted as you narrow the field.
Threads of this type provide the vicarious experience of new equipment acquisition without the cost; much appreciated! ;)
Many of the recommendations above might have more power than needed for the PAP Trio w/Coax. The Pass XA-25 is a great option and is often used by PAP at shows (they often use the Pass INT-25 which is the XA-25 with a simple preamp included).

Reactions: Sunra and JasperJ

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I also am at the point I actually have the budget to get a pair.
Just because you can does not mean you should. And one reason you are considering mono amps is because you have two short pairs of speaker wire with crossovers? Does not seem at all rationale to me and just because they are "nice" does not guarantee that they wii sound good in your system. And you can always sell them and use that money elsewhere in your system. But that is a whole different discussion.

As others have said, you can get a very good used or new stereo amp within your budget. One can argue you get better price / performance value going with a stereo amp versus monos. And if you have a dealer that will permit you to audition Pass Labs (and other brand) amps, I would suggest you try that first. Pass has many wattage, sonic flavor, class options to choose from, built to last and maintain value on the used market.

Finally, sounds like you may do some speaker upgrading in the future. As you know, whatever speakers you end up with will have a very substantial impact on your amplifier purchase. Cart before the horse? Just a thought.

Last edited:

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Many of the recommendations above might have more power than needed for the PAP Trio w/Coax
Agree here. For your speakers you should focus on purity instead of a more traditional high power design. The Valvet suggestion above is a good one, and you might also consider the Konus Audio Robusto 3000 monos (http://www.konus-audio.com/robusto.html). 33 watts/channel, class AB, alive.

Heads up that I import Konus into North America.

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
Just because you can does not mean you should. And one reason you are considering mono amps is because you have two short pairs of speaker wire with crossovers? Does not seem at all rationale to me and just because they are "nice" does not guarantee that they wii sound good in your system. And you can always sell them and use that money elsewhere in your system. But that is a whole different discussion.

As others have said, you can get a very good used or new stereo amp within your budget. One can argue you get better price / performance value going with a stereo amp versus monos. And if you have a dealer that will permit you to audition Pass Labs (and other brand) amps, I would suggest you try that first. Pass has many wattage, sonic flavor, class options to choose from, built to last and maintain value on the used market.

Finally, sounds like you may do some speaker upgrading in the future. As you know, whatever speakers you end up with will have a very substantial impact on your amplifier purchase. Cart before the horse? Just a thought.
Yeah I hear you. Was weighing the selling off cabinet, cables etc to fit around a new amp vs look for a couple of nice monos and keep what I have.

Admittedly I was looking for some suggestions that would be outside what I could source locally as that is slim. I am keeping an eye on the used market and hoped to get some advice from those who have been into more recent gear. But will definitely audition some Pass amps.

I am really satisfied with the PAP trios, so I do not see myself moving from them any time soon. They are, if one wants, a tweakers paradise, but have found them to be quite nice out of the box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing