The future of Krell

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Amir maybe the SAHSA was not much of a load. Class A is hot at idle.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Did you happen to talk to Dan about future products? Will he stick to amps, or will he go for front ends, like CD or SACD?
Also, did you happen to look at the rear of the amps? Did it have CAST, or is that a proprietary to Krell alone?

Cheers!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Did you happen to talk to Dan about future products? Will he stick to amps, or will he go for front ends, like CD or SACD?
Also, did you happen to look at the rear of the amps? Did it have CAST, or is that a proprietary to Krell alone?

Cheers!

CAST is Krell proprietary.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I am interested in hearing any of the evo e series monoblocks. I live in the most populace metropolitan area in the Southern United States. Judging by the near impossibility I've encounter trying to demo Krell gear, I would guess Krell's future is bleak. No evolution dealers. No Krell monoblocks available. I've tried contacting out of state dealers that have demo gear. They tell me that Krell says I need to deal with my local dealer. I know Krell has a no trans-shipping policy. I respect their right to run their business however they want. However, I can't buy a piece without demoing it first. :-(

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
No. Because there's no local dealer, I was told I would get a demo but if I I liked them, I would be paying full retail. I've paid full retail for other gear before but always received exceptional local dealer service along with it. Without any dealer service involved, I don't see the value in paying the full dealer's markup. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my Soulution 710, although I still wonder about what a pair of 600e would sound like too. :) When it comes to Krell, it's just impossible without a local dealer, IME.

did you get to hear the 600e?

Last edited:

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Full Retail???
WOW and thats why I cannot do the dealer route anymore.
I am sure a pair will come up for half price in the next 12mnths

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I put a wtb ad up on agon. I still want to hear a 402e, 600e or 900e, but absent a proper demo, I have to get in at a reasonable price; the competition will be tough against the Soulution. ;-)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So what doesn't your solution do that has you searching for a new dance partner?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think, a much more powerful amp will give me easier dynamics. There's nothing wrong with the Soulution. It's very accurate. But my room is 14.5'x24'x9'3" and is acoustically well controlled. I really enjoy listening to music like Dallas Wind Symphony which has super wide dynamics. It's my educated quess that a Krell will give me easier sounding dynamic range, if that makes any sense. I say educated because I've heard my speakers with a 402e and it works really well. Is it better than the Soulution 710? I don't know. But I think the 402e would be a worthy contender in my setup.
So what doesn't your solution do that has you searching for a new dance partner?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just looked up the specs of the Solution 710 so I get where you are coming from. This is not a very powerful amplifier, but it is powerfully expensive. My room dimensions are very close to yours and I don't think I would be happy with a 130 watt SS amp regardless of what it cost in my room. Having lots of good sounding power on tap is a wonderful thing.

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Holly mother of mercie Dallas.Do yourself a favour and give the Krell 600's a go!!
I can be an ass when it comes to money and power but ..WOW....130w/ch at $45,000 is crazy & 2KV worth of transformer(a Bryston 14bsst has that)..I went to Sterophlap and see Mickey ""The Mouth"" Freemer was flapping his usual **** to sell these high priced amps.
The measurements was a little lacking(by alot) with 130w at 8ohms and only reached 260w when one channel was used..

***THATS ENOUGH STEREOPHILE***-How is it you guys can measure a Krell FPB 600 to 945w/ch at 8 and 1850w/ch at 4ohms but when it comes to these ultra expensive ripoffs,YOUR wall juice somehow cant cope with 260w/ch????Cmon John Ak..get it right would you and stop with the voltage excuse??****

Dallas,you owe it to yourself to fill your room with real power.My room is near your size and a FPB 600 will fill it all the way up.Yes sir,it will find the limit of most monster speakers instead of the speakers finding the limit of the amp.And the monoblocks will do it. The 710 THD was a wild number at .00000000000000002 but hey!!

good luck

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Holly mother of mercie Dallas.Do yourself a favour and give the Krell 600's a go!!
I can be an ass when it comes to money and power but ..WOW....130w/ch at $45,000 is crazy & 2KV worth of transformer(a Bryston 14bsst has that)..I went to Sterophlap and see Mickey ""The Mouth"" Freemer was flapping his usual **** to sell these high priced amps.
The measurements was a little lacking(by alot) with 130w at 8ohms and only reached 260w when one channel was used..

***THATS ENOUGH STEREOPHILE***-How is it you guys can measure a Krell FPB 600 to 945w/ch at 8 and 1850w/ch at 4ohms but when it comes to these ultra expensive ripoffs,YOUR wall juice somehow cant cope with 260w/ch????Cmon John Ak..get it right would you and stop with the voltage excuse??****

Dallas,you owe it to yourself to fill your room with real power.My room is near your size and a FPB 600 will fill it all the way up.Yes sir,it will find the limit of most monster speakers instead of the speakers finding the limit of the amp.And the monoblocks will do it. The 710 THD was a wild number at .00000000000000002 but hey!!

good luck

I think you are getting caught up in the Watts war far too much. All amps are not created like your FBP 600. There are amps available with low rating that will drive difficult loads much easier than some well know products with crazy ratings. The MBL amps rated at around 440wpc drive 111f's and 101e's much easier than some 600 and 1200 watters. My Momentum's at 300wpc handled the pair of 11f's I owned much better than the McIntosh 1.2k's they replaced. Now the just laugh at the Alexandria's.

I have heard a pair of Accuphase A-65's tame Focal Utopia speakers better than some bigger amps.

Jim

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I think you are getting caught up in the Watts war far too much. All amps are not created like your FBP 600. There are amps available with low rating that will drive difficult loads much easier than some well know products with crazy ratings. The MBL amps rated at around 440wpc drive 111f's and 101e's much easier than some 600 and 1200 watters. My Momentum's at 300wpc handled the pair of 11f's I owned much better than the McIntosh 1.2k's they replaced. Now the just laugh at the Alexandria's.

I have heard a pair of Accuphase A-65's tame Focal Utopia speakers better than some bigger amps.

Jim
Hi Jim
I know the difference. There is no difference in a 2KV worth of transformer.I understand your hi-end dollars worth of amps,but lets focus on the subject of the 710 and the 600e mono's.The 600e will fill the room,that is a fact.The 900e will just be more headroom(and I would figure they are not much more horse power than the FPB 750mcx) and doubt the sonics would change much.
Mcintosh 1.2K's are just glorified stereo reciver sounding amps designed for people who want to colour their sound.
Yes,well I am sure Dans new amps are a great retirement funds kitty.$$...But I am sure they sound fine.

MBLhas 1.6kv/mono=3.2KV total...I am sure with all the capacitance and output devices that they will kick.

I am not talking about a original 600 or 600c but I had the 700cx also and there was not that much difference at al in power output...no difference really.
It is true that I cannot dable in these huge priced amps but I was never a Wilson/Focal fan anyways.They are not my cup of tea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing