The future of Krell

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If you think about it, there is no reason why 402/600/900e should be considered a lesser design than say Dag Momentum. Afterall - they have both been designed by the same person. Dan neither get any brighter nor got enlighted after he left Krell. IMO those are both supremely engineered products, and yet - it is only Mementum that gets all the attention.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Eichenbaum was lead on the current e series amps. I am not sure Dan was lead on previous Evo generation either . I don't know if they are lesser or greater amps than the momentum. I think the Momentum amps are prettier. :)

If you think about it, there is no reason why 402/600/900e should be considered a lesser design than say Dag Momentum. Afterall - they have both been designed by the same person. Dan neither get any brighter nor got enlighted after he left Krell. IMO those are both supremely engineered products, and yet - it is only Mementum that gets all the attention.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yeah, no doubt about that ! I believe Eichenbaum only tweaked the beasic Evo (non 'e') concept.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The Krell 900e are everything I was hoping for. They are very musical and offer plenty of finesse. I don't want to dis the 710 but it's safe to say, at this point, that the 900e smoke the Soulution in every way. :)

Last edited:

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
congrats!!!!!!!!

It was time to move past the Solution hype and get some horsepower and ...well,you got a full fledged 440-six pack there,
Thanks for the pics
I am not sure I love these newer designs with all the heatsinks inside but I guess we will see if they last as the first ones came out in 2005...so by 2020 we will know more????LOL

Do they need alot more breakin time or do you still have the demo's

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
As far as longevity, we will see. The longest I have owned an amp was the Dartzeel cth8550 which I had for a year. I expect I will have the 900e monos for a long time though. :)

Krells have a very class A sound; very liquid and fluid sounding. They are very easy to relax and listen to music for extended sessions. The 900e are also super quiet with a very low noise floor; equal with the Soulution. Rock music and wind Symphony are some of my favorite music. The reason I became interested in Krell is because Ive noticed that it's very difficult to reproduce large scale dynamics reminiscent of real live performance without the high frequencies sounding stressed and incoherent. I haven't heard another amp that can do all of the the things that I believe live musical reproduction requires. My system produces bass very flat to 16hz. There are no resonant frequencies below the 250hz transition frequency in my room based on the many measurements using xtz in my room. The decay time is approximately .35 across all frequencies; my room is dynamic and lively. I will post pictures and measurements later on a different thread.

I have owned or personally listened to the following amps for point of reference with my YG Anat iii:
ASR II gold board
Rowland 625
Ayre mxr
Luxman m800
Dartzeel 8550
Dartzeel 108
BMC M1 mono
Soulution 710

congrats!!!!!!!!

It was time to move past the Solution hype and get some horsepower and ...well,you got a full fledged 440-six pack there,
Thanks for the pics
I am not sure I love these newer designs with all the heatsinks inside but I guess we will see if they last as the first ones came out in 2005...so by 2020 we will know more????LOL

Do they need alot more breakin time or do you still have the demo's

Last edited:

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com

Hi, the latest EVOe series is excellent, I have 402e for years. But Momentum monos are whole different story - another level of musicality. They are perfect match for YG speakers in particular. But at the same time they drive Grande Utopia like no other amp I have listened to. Same is true for Magico S5.

Vess

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi, the latest EVOe series is excellent, I have 402e for years. But Momentum monos are whole different story - another level of musicality. They are perfect match for YG speakers in particular. But at the same time they drive Grande Utopia like no other amp I have listened to. Same is true for Magico S5.

Vess

Are you using the YG/Momentum combo?

For whatever the reason--and I agree with you -- the best I've heard the Sonjas was with Dan's new amplifiers.

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi Myles, yes I do. Momentums are just one of the greatest amps ever created. My humble opinion. All you need to do, is to check compatibility with your speakers. In most cases perfect.

Vess

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The 900e is a much better amp than the 402e. Alot of amps sound good with the YG until you try something else. Ive tried quite a few. The amps that didn't do as well were the amps with smaller power supplies and higher output impedances. I didn't consider the dagostino based on specs alone. When it comes to magico, I don't know. But based on hifi critic, the 402e beat the dags head to head on the q1.

Vess

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The 900e is a much better amp than the 402e. Alot of amps sound good with the YG until you try something else. Ive tried quite a few. The amps that didn't do as well were the amps with smaller power supplies and higher output impedances. I didn't consider the dagostino based on specs alone. When it comes to magico, I don't know. But based on hifi critic, the 402e beat the dags head to head on the q1.

Actually I think you need to define early or current day YG Acoustics speakers. YG whether or not they talked about it, made some significant sonic changes to the design of their speakers in the last year or two.

Prior to the "changes" the Tenors were the only amps that sounded halfway good on the YGs. That was in part because the softer upper octaves of the Tenors compensated for the metallic quality of the YGs. Conversely, the Krell amps (I don't remember the model number) combined with the YGs at shows (!) were downright unlistenable.

The newer YGs seem to have eliminated that hardness and sounded good with the Soulution (again slighter darker to my ears) amps and esp. the Momentums (much more open and resolving without that older Krell house sound).

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Where did you compare the Soulution against the momentums on the YG?

I have the most up to date YG version other than the cosmetic skin change.

Actually I think you need to define early or current day YG Acoustics speakers. YG whether or not they talked about it, made some significant sonic changes to the design of their speakers in the last year or two.

Prior to the "changes" the Tenors were the only amps that sounded halfway good on the YGs. That was in part because the softer upper octaves of the Tenors compensated for the metallic quality of the YGs. Conversely, the Krell amps (I don't remember the model number) combined with the YGs at shows (!) were downright unlistenable.

The newer YGs seem to have eliminated that hardness and sounded good with the Soulution (again slighter darker to my ears) amps and esp. the Momentums (much more open and resolving without that older Krell house sound).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Where did you compare the Soulution against the momentums on the YG?

I have the most up to date YG version other than the cosmetic skin change.

I've not been able to do both in the same system.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just digits in your system?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing