The amazing SMc VRE-1C preamp/linestage, a game changer

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
This preamp may be the best SS linestage on the market today. Watch the videos and see my expressions, also you can hear the magic of the unit in the listening sessions- make sure you increase the Youtube resolution and use a good pair of headphones.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Peter great review and what you describe is revolutionary for solid state. That gigantic sound that mimics the live event is from ultra low distortion and low noise. The nuvistor is also capable of this type of sound but it is so rare it's not an option. I did not think that quality of sound was possible from solid state,so my hat's off to Steve and congrats on a great product with value. Enjoy.

P.S. The tremendous ambience that you hear is wonderful,no going back now and is "the" marker for ultra low distortion.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Great job Peter! Thank you for posting. Am I wrong but in the first video I see when you plug in the XLR cables from the amp, are the left and right cables reversed?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Yes, the red went into the left in the video, good catch. I rewired it after the video was shot.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Peter,

I was very interested in these videos, but I found it hard to watch them.

What other preamps in the $20K range did you compare the SMc-VRE-1C to?

I thought this review was very easy to watch... I progressed from intro to set-up, to system, to listening session, to conclusion very methodically. I've watched it on the Samsung Note 3, a 17" Acer and a 22" Sony Viao with no problem... all at HD rez. Post review, I received the AudioNet Pre G2 linestage and the clarity of the SMc stands ahead.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Very impressed Peter with the clarity of your review and for a person with your experience and knowledge we owe ourselves to go out and hear the pre amp for ourselves. Thank you for making the day enjoyable knowing that there possibly could be a revolution waiting to happen.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've owned a couple of McCormack amps and they were outstanding for the money. When this preamp was first introduced it had an msrp of $6500 as I recall...correct me if that isn't right. It's now $10K higher. Granted the original didn't have a remote but..

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Peter

Thanks again. I was thinking about that preamp last year and chickened out. I should have jumped when I had the chance.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
An earlier iteration of this pre was played for the folks at the Pacific NW Audio Society and can say it was one of the best sounds we've had at our meetings.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
An earlier iteration of this pre was played for the folks at the Pacific NW Audio Society and can say it was one of the best sounds we've had at our meetings.

It has been gathering grapevine momentum ever since. I was pondering to ask for a review sample after the Capital Audiofest but the distributor called me first! Two ships at sea...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
We had it at the Pacific NW Audio Society twice - once in original version, and then later in the VRE-1C version: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5870-PNWAS-Presents-Steve-McCormack

Steve's entire presentation was recorded on the second page of the thread.

I think that it's the best preamp in the world, but that's just expressing an opinion. I'm sure that there are preamps which will measure better.

Nevertheless, those of us who love Jonathan Horwich's tape projects will already have heard Steve's preamp - IIRC Jonathan uses a VRE-1C as a buffer before the tape recorder. So, it's inside the recording chain. (So are my interface cables.)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This preamp may be the best SS linestage on the market today. Watch the videos and see my expressions, also you can hear the magic of the unit in the listening sessions- make sure you increase the Youtube resolution and use a good pair of headphones.

Love the room. Very cozy.

I believe SM lives in the San Diego area.

BTW, the BEST preamp, is NO preamp. :D:D:D:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
... Am I wrong but in the first video I see when you plug in the XLR cables from the amp, are the left and right cables reversed?

Yes, the red went into the left in the video, good catch. I rewired it after the video was shot.

I sustained to mention because in the past I lived with a secondary system wired out of phase (speaker wires) for almost two years! :D
Besides, the way you did it Peter, you could always turn your back (facing the rear wall of your room) from your system,
and the right and left channels would regain their restore state. ;)

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I sustained to mention because in the past I lived with a secondary system wired out of phase (speaker wires) for almost two years! :D
Besides, the way you did it Peter, you could always turn your back (facing the rear wall of your room) from your system,
and the right and left channels would regain their restore state. ;)

I was at an audio event last weekend where everyone got very serious and solemn during a demo. The owner of the system dropped the needle and we all sat through a side of Jimmy Smith at 45rmp (it was actually a 33). I had no clue...

I was at a reviewer's home who had very well known speakers... I thought something sounded amiss and told the reviewer I think you have a phase issue with your system. He had a rep over who removed the rear panel on one speaker, the midrange was wired out of phase. The other speaker was fine. He had no clue... (for two years).

Stuff happens. Nobody's perfect.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It is funny indeed that conscientious audio people like us can sometimes make the most common mortal mistakes! :D
I bet it would be interesting to start a thread just on that. ...I am still laughing today at that 'out-of-phase' past living experience and for such a long time! How could I! :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter, nice review. Since Steve is now back in our neck of the woods, looks like I will need to hear this preamp. BTW, you mention in one of the videos the CAT preamp. Since I own a CAT with rolled in tubes and am a BIG fan of this preamp, I wonder if you could expand a little as to your thoughts on the CAT vs. the new Smc preamp. Particularly if you have heard the latest CAT Renaissance. IMO, tubes are simply more lifelike in the preamp stage, BUT I am open to the idea of a great ss preamp.... whether it be Smc or ??

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Peter, nice review. Since Steve is now back in our neck of the woods, looks like I will need to hear this preamp. BTW, you mention in one of the videos the CAT preamp. Since I own a CAT with rolled in tubes and am a BIG fan of this preamp, I wonder if you could expand a little as to your thoughts on the CAT vs. the new Smc preamp. Particularly if you have heard the latest CAT Renaissance. IMO, tubes are simply more lifelike in the preamp stage, BUT I am open to the idea of a great ss preamp.... whether it be Smc or ??

My reference to the CAT was to make the point of game changer. IMHO, the CAT forever changed the sound of a reference preamp. It went from a cloudy day to clear skies when the CAT was first released. I owned three versions until about ten years ago and I believe the older CATs still hold their own. Not everyone liked the CAT. It was far more truthful than the CJs and Audio Research models of the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing