The amazing SMc VRE-1C preamp/linestage, a game changer

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
As somebody made the jump from the SMc to the Koda I would venture another great preamp into this: The Zotl Pre by David Berning. It is by far the best preamp I had in my chain (comparisons with Audiopax M5, Accuphase 2410, Bow Warlock, as well as the utterly transparent silver rock TVC by Audio Consulting, this last one probably the best I ever heard, but then with slight drawbacks, it being one in one out - and the phono input as well as the (optional) headphone output are outstanding. )

Now go on with your SMc ;-)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
How do you feel the Accuphase 2420 would sound?

As somebody made the jump from the SMc to the Koda I would venture another great preamp into this: The Zotl Pre by David Berning. It is by far the best preamp I had in my chain (comparisons with Audiopax M5, Accuphase 2410, Bow Warlock, as well as the utterly transparent silver rock TVC by Audio Consulting, this last one probably the best I ever heard, but then with slight drawbacks, it being one in one out - and the phono input as well as the (optional) headphone output are outstanding. )

Now go on with your SMc ;-)

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
You know what, the Accuphase sound is always very consistent: Very fine consistency (finest grain, if you like) and well balanced - but: My Bow, which I had at the time, had more punch, and the Audiopax with such an abundance of colours - both made the Accu seem pale in comparison.

The silver rock and - that's why I wrote initially - the Berning leave these questions somewhat behind by being "fast" and immediate.
Sorry, I do not compare in big gushes, but these are the characters I associate. And as I never heard the 2420, I cannot compare. Judging from my experience with E530, later E550 (then changed to Berning ZH270:) and in Pre's 2410 with non A'phase power amps I beleive they sound "always the same". And that's not a bad thing. I moved away from it, that's all (but to be honest: I was impressed at a time, and nowadays would never go back to them)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
egidius,

I see that you moved on from Audiopax (Koda, congrats!), but you might want to know they're back, with new models and revisions of the old models!
I've heard some of the new stuff, and it's mighty impressive!
I'll post when I have more details, pictures, etc.

alexandre

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
there is a misunderstanding: I have moved, but to Berning (Zotl Pre & ZH230) and Audio Consulting silver rock & MIPA30, both outstanding in their ways..
Koda is a tad or two too expensive for me ;-)

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I so badly want to try one.

I have been wanting to try one for some time as well. To comment on the Berning i just tried one the pre that is and it did not have the resolution on top that i was looking for. But sounded nice nothing stands out and very real sounding. My pre now just has more dynamics and that is hard to get away from. P.S. i do have Berning Quadtruture Z's.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations on some fine gear. I've always admired Berning gear.

I have been wanting to try one for some time as well. To comment on the Berning i just tried one the pre that is and it did not have the resolution on top that i was looking for. But sounded nice nothing stands out and very real sounding. My pre now just has more dynamics and that is hard to get away from. P.S. i do have Berning Quadtruture Z's.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

Hello Worldcat, just came across your note about Berning preamp on WBF. May I ask which preamp you are using with your Berning Quad Z power amps? I am planning a full upgrade to my system later this year so am preparing a shortlist of preamps and power amps both SS, tube and hybrid unit. Many thanks. Ash

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'd be interested. Thanks Gary!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
there is a misunderstanding: I have moved, but to Berning (Zotl Pre & ZH230) and Audio Consulting silver rock & MIPA30, both outstanding in their ways..
Koda is a tad or two too expensive for me ;-)

The 2db volume steps are not too coarse, or do you have to play with the left and right attenuation?

No remote from the specs?

Cheers

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I am using a Veloce.

Hello Worldcat, just came across your note about Berning preamp on WBF. May I ask which preamp you are using with your Berning Quad Z power amps? I am planning a full upgrade to my system later this year so am preparing a shortlist of preamps and power amps both SS, tube and hybrid unit. Many thanks. Ash

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing