Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PNWAS Presents Steve McCormack

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor garylkoh's Avatar

PNWAS Presents Steve McCormack

Many members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society still remember the magical evening of music we had two years ago when Steve McCormack presented his Virtual Reality Engine-1 preamp to the club and pretty much blew everyone away. By the end of the meeting, some members were proposing to spend entire treasury of the club to buy the VRE-1 from Steve! Good thing that cooler heads prevailed..... but we still long for that magical moment again.

Here's another chance for those who missed that first meeting, or those at that first meeting who still miss that magic. Steve is bringing his latest version, the VRE-1C for yet another presentation. This is the first time ever that a remote-controlled version of a preamp sounds better than the manual version using a stepped, discrete-resistor attenuator. Steve will tell us how he managed to do it at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society meeting, Thursday, March 8th.

In case you don't know who Steve McCormack is, he was the founder of McCormack Audio (since sold to Conrad Johnson), founded the Mod Squad, invented Tiptoes, and recorded and engineered some of the most sought after Direct Disc LPs ever made with M&K Real Time.

We will be playing a selection of rare music, including the legendary direct discs 'For Duke' and 'Fatha Hines' that Steve was involved in.

Pacific Northwest Audio Society
    7:30pm Thursday, March 8th 2012
    Mercer Island Congregational Church (basement)
    4545 Island Crest Way
    Mercer Island, WA 98040

Visitors and guests are always welcome.
    www.genesisloudspeakers.com, www.absolutefidelity.com

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    For us unlucky sods who aren't able to attend your meetings and witness new product introductions and such, would it be possible to videotape a short segment of Steve's presentation?
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
    For us unlucky sods who aren't able to attend your meetings and witness new product introductions and such, would it be possible to videotape a short segment of Steve's presentation?
    I'll see what we can do.... can't think of any members who would even own a video camera, but it won't hurt to ask. Might become the start of something new - to put all our meetings on Youtube

Cool. Wish we had something like that here in Utah.
    Manley Chinook (Coming)
    Manley Snapper(s)
    Manley Jumbo Shrimp
    Rega P5/TTPSU/Dynavector P75 Mk2/10x5
    Rega Saturn
    Joseph Audio RM25XL
    Synergistic Research
    Running Springs

WBF Technical Expert (Pro Audio Production)/Member Sponsor Bruce B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    I'll see what we can do.... can't think of any members who would even own a video camera, but it won't hurt to ask. Might become the start of something new - to put all our meetings on Youtube
    This is what we try to do with our AES meetings.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Invite Peter B and see if he's interested?
    AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic

It will be done. One of our members is a professional cameraman and has volunteered to do it. Yeah!!

It will be done. One of our members is a professional cameraman and has volunteered to do it. Yeah!!
    Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the video!

Just a week away - it is looking like a vinyl-heavy affair. If I can wrestle my Roksan back from Winston, I'll bring that. If not, may be we will be using the club's turntable. Other equipment besides the star of the show - the
    SMc Audio VRE-1C
    :

1. Club's loudspeakers Genesis 7.2f
    2. Genesis Anniversary Monoblock amplifiers
    3. M2Tech Young DAC
    4. Genesis Music Server (latest version)
    5. Burmester Ph100 Phono Stage (or Genesis prototype)
    6. Roksan Xerses 20+ with Roksan Artemiz arm

Now, if only Ki or Bruce can be persuaded to bring a portable R2R and tapes........

If you're in the Pacific Northwest, this is an event not to be missed. Rare chance to listen to rare vinyl including:

1) Pristine copies of M&K Realtime Direct to Disc LPs including For Duke and Fatha Hines from Joe's collection
    2) FIM test pressings from Winston Ma of yet un-released FIM LPs
    3) Test pressings/first pressings/radio station promos from my collection

I'll also be giving away a test pressing as a door prize. I'll decide which one after we play some of them at the meeting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast