The amazing SMc VRE-1C preamp/linestage, a game changer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Try to get a listen to the VRE-1C. I think you would be amazed. I was with FM Acoustics (first 266 then 255) for nearly 20 years because it was extremely musical and also transparent. The VRE-1C was the only thing I've found to be better.

I'm sure I missed it and am being too lazy to search but what is the MSRP of the preamp

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Gary your a great guy, thanks for your input! I will have to try one thanks.

Try to get a listen to the VRE-1C. I think you would be amazed. I was with FM Acoustics (first 266 then 255) for nearly 20 years because it was extremely musical and also transparent. The VRE-1C was the only thing I've found to be better.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will have to hear this someday. Thanks Peter and Gary. Peter - thanks again for your review!!!

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
It seems odd that an almost $20k solid state preamp, that emphasizes that its a fully balanced design, would only have one XLR input. At this point virtually all high end source components have balanced (or pseudo-balanced) XLR output. I don't understand why it was designed so that you have to use an XLR>RCA adapter if you have more than one balanced source. Seems counter-intuitive to me.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've owned a couple of McCormack amps and they were outstanding for the money. When this preamp was first introduced it had an msrp of $6500 as I recall...correct me if that isn't right. It's now $10K higher. Granted the original didn't have a remote but..

Yup- it was around 6k when released, but then doubled in price after giving it to a distributor as I recall.

That's always been my hiccup re: this preamp.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Audiopax

Yup- it was around 6k when released, but then doubled in price after giving it to a distributor as I recall.

That's always been my hiccup re: this preamp.

Well, that has been the case with one of my favourite preamps: I use the Audiopax M5 with great success, which retailed for about 6K, until it started to get distributed, when it ended up for a lot of money, like three times that price.

Maybe now they are seeing the way..

e

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I remember when Jeff Rowland started out. He was asking folks to buy a Model five for well under $2,500. As soon as he landed his first big dealer the price was 5,000. It's the nature of audio. Interestingly, it's the opposite of big screen TVs. I don't want to remember what I paid for two Plasmas and the first hot 34" LCD, it was more than the SMC at current price.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
It is a shame that audio is like that! Products should be sold at a fair price, only given small discounts.

Audio equipment should hold value like art, not like buying a new car! The industry has always shot itself in the foot. That is why Apple is King and hi-end audio is a dying industry. I will tell someone what my speakers cost or other equipment they look at me like my head fell off:eek: They will not consider hi-end at all, then they say well i love my ipod!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Bump.

I'm looking for additional information on this preamp. Retail is now $16,900. Does anyone have one or have you heard it? Thanks.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I just found out retail is now $19,950. It has only one XLR input and I'd prefer at least two.

Bump.

I'm looking for additional information on this preamp. Retail is now $16,900. Does anyone have one or have you heard it? Thanks.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
4 times the ports, 4 times the price? :D

alexandre

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Till last week the Takumi was the best SS Preamp from this world. Today it is the VRE-1c. I´m concerned.
What is the best SS preamp tomorrow.

Reinhard

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I just found out retail is now $19,950. It has only one XLR input and I'd prefer at least two.

They are hand-built and custom-made, so I am sure that you can request for more. I have seen one with two XLR inputs.

With the VRE-1C, all inputs are true-balanced. So, using the XLR to RCA adapter supplied by SMc Audio results in a true balanced input (but not if you use a 'standard' XLR-RCA adapter).

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I so badly want to try one.

They are hand-built and custom-made, so I am sure that you can request for more. I have seen one with two XLR inputs.

With the VRE-1C, all inputs are true-balanced. So, using the XLR to RCA adapter supplied by SMc Audio results in a true balanced input (but not if you use a 'standard' XLR-RCA adapter).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing