Stillpoints and Magico

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dear All,

What I really want to say is that there are so many variables involved.
No theory or design can be truly universal, particularly speaker footers.

In N Amer many homes are in wood houses with wood floor and carpet. Many of them have a basement underneath too.
In Hong Kong most audiophiles live in apartments in cement buildings. The cement floors are often covered with granite plates.

Can the same set of Magico original spikes/footers perform equally in these two totally diff environments?

Arguing is a waste of time and energy.
Shall we keep our minds open and experiment a bit?
Listening is Believing. If the sonic effect of SP/Nordost Sort Fut ... etc is good, keep them. If not, we can at once re-install the original Magico spikes.
It's completely harmless.
:)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Dear All,

In N Amer many homes are in wood houses with wood floor and carpet. Many of them have a basement underneath too.
In Hong Kong most audiophiles live in apartments in cement buildings. The cement floors are often covered with granite plates.

Can the same set of Magico original spikes/footers perform equally in these two totally diff environments?

Why keep on arguing?
Why not keep our minds open and experiment a bit.
Listening is Believing. If the sonic effect of SP/Nordost Sort Fut ... etc is good, keep them. If not, we can at once re-install the original Magico spikes.

You are right, talking sense gets us nowhere so how about the following test to all “SP under Magico” fans out there:
Take a laser guided measurement tool, turn it on and put it on the top of the speaker facing a wall. Play a cut with heavy bass and see if/how much the laser dot moves. Do the same with the original footing. See which will move more and try guessing what is better for sound ;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
You are right, talking sense gets us nowhere so how about the following test to all “SP under Magico” fans out there:
Take a laser guided measurement tool, turn it on and put it on the top of the speaker facing a wall. Play a cut with heavy bass and see if/how much the laser dot moves. Do the same with the original footing. See which will move more and try guessing what is better for sound ;)

Very often I close my eyes while enjoying music.
No need to guess, just listen.
:D

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Dear All,

Great post CK. Apparently 96% of respondents in a recent WBF thread agreed that listening is the primary way of assessing components so it seems common sense is that context is in actuality such a great variable that it requires we ultimately utilise our ears and mind to determine what our ears and mind will actually value as the best within the circumstances of our system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear All,

I fully agree with you. In Europe we also have definite different trends in regional building and furnishing. We can not expect on solution to please every one preference.
And yes, Listening is Believing. But in some sense we must believe to listen properly!

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
To use or not use Stillpoints

Yes, let's keep our minds/ears open and experiment!

Trying the product and deciding if it works well in the specific application is exactly what we advocate. And yes, mostly those decisions are based on what our ears tell us. Though, others may make decisions based on different criteria. That's fine. I could easily use a LPI on my TT but choose to take a different approach which my ears tell me works better in that application.

John

Dear All,

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
View attachment 21487

I put 6 ultra 5s under my very old Extremas and I love the result.

I dare to bet this is the most expensively tweaked , wired & driven Sonus Faber Extrema & it probably better sounding that most Extrema syst

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi Stehno,

S5, Q3 & Q5 are using similar screw-in steel spikes as their footers. Spikes of Project M are bigger in size.
However, they are just simple steel spikes and completely diff from sophisticated footers such as Stillpoints, Nordost Sort Fut or Finite Elemente's.

Those small steel plates/discs shown in my photos are included in the package. They are to be put between the spikes and the floor.
Do they have a specific acoustic function?
Or are they, as Ian said, just floor-savers?

I don't know the answer.

S5/Q3/Q5/Project M are so different yet their spikes & "floor-saver plates" are similar/identical.
Is this a deliberate design? haha

Appreciate the info, CK. The discs are just floor savers as Ian said. But more than that, another said earlier they are performance compromisers.

If Wolf's spikes or points simply bolt into the speaker base and assuming Wolf's floor-saving discs are not used , then Wolf's steel spikes should easily be the superior performer to the Stillpoints Ultra 5's.

Theoretically, when dealing with proper vibration control, and regardless of what others may speculate, the name of the game is to create a superior mechanical conduit between two normally disparate objects by making them as congruent as possible so that mechanical energy (vibrations) can more freely travel between the 2 objects.

In such a case as this, rigidity, stress, and tight coupling (think super tight coupling) mean everything, as does the material. The tighter the coupling the better the opportunity for the normally disparate objects to become as one. Think of it this way. Take 2 pennies and put them face to face in a vise and tighten the vise as tight as you possibly can. It's not immediate but over time being under a constant compressive force, there is almost a molecular exchange that occurs between the 2 pennies, almost like a slight welding. Now I've not tried because I don't have time, but it's entirely possible that after 10, 50, or perhaps 100 years of being squeezed together tightly in that vise, when you take the pennies out of the vise you just may need a screwdriver to pry them apart.

This would be considered a superior mechanical conduit. In this example of 2 pennies squeezed together under great force, if you put a 10volt charge at penny A, the full charge should pass through unimpeded to penny B. Forces less than great and obviously less energy passes through. Much like a flickering light bulb not screwed in all the way.

Now the fact that the Ultra 5's are made up of several "loose" objects should imply immediately an inferior design (yes I know Stillpoints says the Ultra 5's are dampers but they are still mechanical conduits). If there are 4 Ultra 5's, 1 under each corner of the 400 lbs. Magico's, that translates to roughly 100 lbs. of force at each Ultra 5. Realistically, it more like 120 lbs. on the front 2 Ultra 5's and maybe 80 lbs. at the 2 in the rear. This implies that the energy normally trapped within the Magico's would seek to exit mostly from the front 2 Ultra 5's or whichever Ultra's sustain the greater weight.

Nevertheless, 80 or 120 lbs. of compressive force is sufficient but not great to make even the disparate parts of the Ultra 5's themselves become at least somewhat congruent. This is a potential compromise by limiting the amount of mechanical energy to freely transfer just from 1 part of the Ultra's to another part of the Ultra's.

On the other hand, the Ultra's appear to use superior materials (ceramic and steel) in their product so that helps. But if by design, there is any movement whatsoever between the disparate parts within just the Ultra 5 product as I think somebody already mentioned, this would be their greatest compromise in performance.

In other words, the Stillpoints appear to have enough built-in performance compromises in their design, that under these listed assumptions, if indeed Wolf's 1-piece spikes/cones were properly and tightly installed and without using the floor-saving coupling discs, the Stillpoints are a superior performer over Wolf's, then clearly Wolf's spikes/points are of an inferior design and/or material. This would be true especially if Wolf's spikes/points are intended to penetrate the flooring system which should help to establish a superior contact with the floor.

One caveat to all this is Wolf's spikes/points would most likely require more settling in time to reach their full potential i.e 7 - 10 days minimum. Whereas, because of the Stillpoints' design compromises their settling-in time should be shorter but with less performance potential also. In other words, if Wolf's spikes/point were never allowed an appropriate settling in time period or if they were installed unevenly such that they created an ever-so-slight rocking of the speakers (ANY movement whatsoever) which is much the same as saying they were never allowed to properly settle in, then this could also explain the Stillpoint's superior performance.

As with most anything, performance is all about compromises and whose design produces the fewest.

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent

What a wonderful idea! Original too and very clever. I don't use Stillpoints--have no interest in them actually for all the reasons you've mentioned previously--but not only is this a great idea to test the efficacy of footers, it's terrific for comparing speakers against each other from a vibration-damping standpoint. Excellent!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I did this with my speakers (AZ Crescendo). The laser dot moves quite noticeably less with Stillpoints Ultra SS under my speakers than the stock spikes, and they also sounds better with the Stillpoints.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
When you couple speakers to the floor via spikes or standard feet it allows speaker vibrations to leave through the feet and allows floor vibrations back into the speaker causing a vibration feedback loop. This is not optimal, that is why decoupling via stillpoints makes sense. Vibrations from the speakers are dissipated and turned into heat as are vibrations from the floor trying to make it back into the speaker. No feedback loop. I would imagine vibrations on wood joisted floors above the basement concrete floor are even worse. My speakers are on a poured concrete floor. Concrete transmits vibration. Stillpoints made a big improvement.

Last edited:

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Appreciate the info, CK. The discs are just floor savers as Ian said. But more than that, another said earlier they are performance compromisers.

If Wolf's spikes or points simply bolt into the speaker base and assuming Wolf's floor-saving discs are not used , then Wolf's steel spikes should easily be the superior performer to the Stillpoints Ultra 5's.

Ultra 5s attach to speakers via an adapter of the appropriate size.

Now the fact that the Ultra 5's are made up of several "loose" objects should imply immediately an inferior design (yes I know Stillpoints says the Ultra 5's are dampers but they are still mechanical conduits).

Ultra products are isolators, not dampers.

If there are 4 Ultra 5's, 1 under each corner of the 400 lbs. Magico's, that translates to roughly 100 lbs. of force at each Ultra 5. Realistically, it more like 120 lbs. on the front 2 Ultra 5's and maybe 80 lbs. at the 2 in the rear. This implies that the energy normally trapped within the Magico's would seek to exit mostly from the front 2 Ultra 5's or whichever Ultra's sustain the greater weight.

Nevertheless, 80 or 120 lbs. of compressive force is sufficient but not great to make even the disparate parts of the Ultra 5's themselves become at least somewhat congruent. This is a potential compromise by limiting the amount of mechanical energy to freely transfer just from 1 part of the Ultra's to another part of the Ultra's.

On the other hand, the Ultra's appear to use superior materials (ceramic and steel) in their product so that helps. But if by design, there is any movement whatsoever between the disparate parts within just the Ultra 5 product as I think somebody already mentioned, this would be their greatest compromise in performance.

Ultra products' technology pockets are loaded by the weight of the component. When loaded, there is no movement of or in the Ultra product. Proper loading is accomplished by using the appropriate Ultra for the specific application.

In other words, the Stillpoints appear to have enough built-in performance compromises in their design, that under these listed assumptions, if indeed Wolf's 1-piece spikes/cones were properly and tightly installed and without using the floor-saving coupling discs, the Stillpoints are a superior performer over Wolf's, then clearly Wolf's spikes/points are of an inferior design and/or material. This would be true especially if Wolf's spikes/points are intended to penetrate the flooring system which should help to establish a superior contact with the floor.

One caveat to all this is Wolf's spikes/points would most likely require more settling in time to reach their full potential i.e 7 - 10 days minimum. Whereas, because of the Stillpoints' design compromises their settling-in time should be shorter but with less performance potential also.

Actually, it can, in some applications, take weeks for Ultras to fully settle.

In other words, if Wolf's spikes/point were never allowed an appropriate settling in time period or if they were installed unevenly such that they created an ever-so-slight rocking of the speakers (ANY movement whatsoever) which is much the same as saying they were never allowed to properly settle in, then this could also explain the Stillpoint's superior performance.

Could it be that the Ultra products work very well in many applications, as validated by testimony from reviewers and users?

As with most anything, performance is all about compromises and whose design produces the fewest.

As with most anything, the end result manifests itself as a consequence of many factors. Most audiophiles use their ears as the final arbiter of whether or not a change makes an improvement. Anyone may adopt any position they wish with respect to a particular design. If a negative position is chosen based solely on design prejudices, they will miss listening to a lot of great sounding components.

One last thought is from a post I made earlier today in this thread:

"Yes, let's keep our minds/ears open and experiment!

Trying the product and deciding if it works well in the specific application is exactly what we(Stillpoints) advocate. And yes, mostly those decisions are based on what our ears tell us. Though, others may make decisions based on different criteria. That's fine. I could easily use a LPI on my TT but choose to take a different approach which my ears tell me works better in that application."

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Just tried this with my Magico Mini 2s. Very loud drum/bass music with a laser pointing at a wall 12' away. No movement at all. Now these are not full range with 3 X 10" woofers, just small monitors on stands coupled via balls in cups. I think the vibrations travel down into the massive aluminum stands.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Ultra products are isolators, not dampers.[/I]

Hi, AllVinyl. Sorry if my comments about your product seemed negative. I have no way of seeing what's going on internally so I was simply providing my perspective by what I could observe from pictures of the external.

I could have sworn the other night I saw on the Stillpoints website you claimed these were damping products but on another visit, I see now the claim, "Stillpoints products are TRUE ISOLATION products, NOT dampening products. Our products afford no pathway of vibration from the product to the shelf, meaning better sound all around."

BTW, there is a little typo you may want to fix as it should read damping, not dampening.

In any event and IMO, regardless of words or claims, Stillpoints products follow the resonant energy transfer methodology, not an isolation-based methodology for at least the following reasons:

Since the entire universal and everything in it consists of one form of vibration or another, isolating an object from all sources of vibration is contrary to the laws of physics, though obviously many highly intelligent people spend entire lifetimes trying. Even in a vacuum chamber an object must be levitating to completely isolate from ALL sources of vibration. Moreover, if/when one successfully isolates an object from one source of vibration, it goes without saying that other sources of vibration captured at the object remain trapped and must release their energy within.

For example. In audio we have 3 primary sources of vibration, floor-borne, air-borne, and internally-generated, e.g. power supplies, motors, speaker drivers, etc. If I placed my amp in a box of sand, I have just severed any potential for floor-borne vibrations to enter the amp's chassis. But at the exact same moment in time, I've just trapped all air-borne and internally-generated vibrations within the amp so that they must fully dissipate within.

But I think I can prove Stillpoint products follow the coupling methodology rather than isolation based on your words alone. You said it can take weeks for Stillpoints to fully settle.

If I took a pair of scissors to cut my lamp cord, instantly the light bulb ceases to function. That act is a form of isolation as I'm severing an electrical conduit so that energy ceases to travel its normal path to the light bulb, and the effects of severing are always instantaneous. IOW, I don't have to wait weeks for the unwanted energy to stop traveling. Going back to the amp placed in a sandbox, again that act of preventing energy from rising up from the floor into the amp's chassis again is instantaneous and I do not have to wait for weeks to pass for that energy path to fully severe. Moreover, if Stillpoint products were true isolation-based products, there should be no need whatsoever for hard / rigid materials like ceramic or steel as those are preferred materials for use as mechanical conduits to allow mechanical energy to travel. Unless of course such materials were used solely for aesthetic purposes.

I suppose I should ask, if indeed Stillpoints products were truly isolating unwanted energies as they claim, could I not more easily and inexpensively and more immediately accomplish this feat by using sand, rubber, Sorbathane, air-filled bladders, bungee cords hanging from the ceiling, etc, or even just using rubber footers that come standard with so many products? Seriously, if isolation was a legitimate vibration controlling methodology, how difficult can it be to isolate something from a single source i.e. floor-borne vibrations?

But the real question is, if one fully isolated floor-borne vibrations from entering a component or speaker, what happens to the continuous bombardment of air-borne and internally-generated vibrations captured at and in the component that are now trapped within and must now fully dissipate and release its energy within?

Ultra products' technology pockets are loaded by the weight of the component. When loaded, there is no movement of or in the Ultra product. Proper loading is accomplished by using the appropriate Ultra for the specific application.[/I]

To the naked eye, you are probably correct, but at a microscopic level, I suspect minor movement, unless the product is tightly fastened or welded. Especially for an object vibrating so violently such as a speaker producing music at 105db.

Actually, it can, in some applications, take weeks for Ultras to fully settle.[/I]

I agree. But as per my comments above, that's because there is a mechanical settling in period for the Stillpoints products which always comes with resonant energy transfer (aka coupling) products but which never occurs with a product attempting to isolate (aka decoupling). Again, because truly isolating an object from a single source of energy is always an instantaneous act.

Could it be that the Ultra products work very well in many applications, as validated by testimony from reviewers and users?[/I]

Yes, provided we agree that your use of the term "works very well" is a relative term used by some-to-many who have little understanding or experience with various vibration controlling products or methodologies.

As with most anything, the end result manifests itself as a consequence of many factors. Most audiophiles use their ears as the final arbiter of whether or not a change makes an improvement. [/I]

I see nothing wrong with your statement of using one's ears as the final arbiter. After all, we're talking audio performance here. But there's a host of audiophiles with a passion for scientific proof around here who apparently would take great issue with that statement.

Anyone may adopt any position they wish with respect to a particular design. If a negative position is chosen based solely on design prejudices, they will miss listening to a lot of great sounding components.[/I]

Agreed. However, when talking performance, often times there is a rhyme or reason for a given design and in some instances such as here, design (and materials) means absolutely everything. Nevertheless, there are vibration-controlling designs, executions, and methodologies that provide even far greater levels of musicality.

One last thought is from a post I made earlier today in this thread:
"Yes, let's keep our minds/ears open and experiment![/I]

Couldn't agree more. But I find very few willing to do so. Especially in such conventional wisdom type matters such as the concept and theory of isolation which has been around what seems like forever.

Trying the product and deciding if it works well in the specific application is exactly what we(Stillpoints) advocate. And yes, mostly those decisions are based on what our ears tell us. Though, others may make decisions based on different criteria. That's fine. I could easily use a LPI on my TT but choose to take a different approach which my ears tell me works better in that application."[/I]

As mentioned above, the act of truly isolating an object from a single source of vibration is perhaps among the most simple and straightforward concepts that perhaps even a 5 year-old could understand and successfully execute. I'm unsure why some attempt to make that concept a complex matter.

BTW, I'm not saying that Stillpoints products are ineffective by any means. But since their materials and designs appear to be in direct conflict with the terminology used, I can't help but wonder whether Stillpoints fully understands what it is that their products are doing.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Just tried this with my Magico Mini 2s. Very loud drum/bass music with a laser pointing at a wall 12' away. No movement at all. Now these are not full range with 3 X 10" woofers, just small monitors on stands coupled via balls in cups. I think the vibrations travel down into the massive aluminum stands.

I'm not sure what you think you can obtain from watching a laser dot with the naked eye. Even if the speaker base was buried in a huge concrete slab, most any material will exhibit even a tiny amount of flex or excitation from stress or perhaps even vibrations.

Even if you're mounting the laser at the very base of the speaker just above the footer. Even then there can exist tiny amounts of flex or excitation depending on the amount of energy and of course music genre and volume levels. Everything's vibrating so everything is excited, flexing, etc, to one tiny degree or another. I can't imagine the laser dot proving or disproving anything here.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm not sure what you think you can obtain from watching a laser dot with the naked eye. Even if the speaker base was buried in a huge concrete slab, most any material will exhibit even a tiny amount of flex or excitation from stress or perhaps even vibrations.

Even if you're mounting the laser at the very base of the speaker just above the footer. Even then there can exist tiny amounts of flex or excitation depending on the amount of energy and of course music genre and volume levels. Everything's vibrating so everything is excited, flexing, etc, to one tiny degree or another. I can't imagine the laser dot proving or disproving anything here.

Sorry stehno. I was trying to see if I could indeed detect any movement of the laser dot with my naked eye. Cannata suggested trying this and kevinkwann commented that it was a good idea/experiment and original and clever. Then rbbert posted that he tried it and saw the laser dot move a lot. I simply wanted to try this basic experiment and report my findings.

Have you not seem the videos of people putting glasses of water on the tops of their speakers to show the surface ripples indicating that their speakers are vibrating? I often place my hand on speakers during demonstrations to see how much cabinet vibrations are detectable through touch. Are you suggesting that these simple observations have no merit?

Of course all speakers will exhibit certain amounts of flex and most will have observable amounts of cabinet vibrations. It has been by observation that those which vibrate less, have fewer cabinet colorations and generally sound better.

I did learn that rbbert's AZ Cresendo top cabinet surface seems to move more with either the Stillpoints or the stock spikes than the top cabinet surface of my Magico Mini 2s does with the standard footers. All that from reading a forum thread and doing a simple experiment.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"A lot" is a relative term; it's compared to "no detectable movement at all", which is more what I expected. My wall is closer to 20' away, and movement (of the dot) on the spikes was apparent; on the Stillpoints I have to stand very close to the wall to notice any movement. When music is quiet or without much bass I can't see any sign of movement at all.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cool experiment , i will put a glass of water on top of my own designs and take a laser dot and see what it does at high volume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing