Stillpoints and Magico

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I just did the glass experiment on 3 different volume settings , with volume at 11-12 oclock ( meaning neighbours will show up ) absolutely nothing:D .
I ll upload the vid
To me the whole coupling decoupling argument is greatly influenced as to how non resonant is your speakerhousing anyway , what is the weight of it , how is your floor (obviously )

This will eventually appear in the highest standard of audiofile magazines , the glass of water and laser dot test (patented by WBF forum:D )

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I just did the glass experiment on 3 different volume settings , with volume at 11-12 oclock ( meaning neighbours will show up ) absolutely nothing:D .
When you put your hand on the top of the speaker cabinet you don't feel any vibration?? Because if you do, and you look closely enough at the laser dot, you should see it blur now and then.

Finite element top series footers , Cerabase classic

Well you've got quite a damping/decoupling system there, I'd say.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No i dont feel nothing , i havent done the lasertest yet , i can take some laserallignment equipment from my dayjob business next week and try.
But as i mentioned before the housing itself is very important , the HPL(phenolic resin based ) housing i currently use is dead as a dodo , so if there was a vibration problem in the first place its very small to be reduced by the footers , if there aint a vibration there aint a problem

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hi, AllVinyl. Sorry if my comments about your product seemed negative. I have no way of seeing what's going on internally so I was simply providing my perspective by what I could observe from pictures of the external.

I could have sworn the other night I saw on the Stillpoints website you claimed these were damping products but on another visit, I see now the claim, "Stillpoints products are TRUE ISOLATION products, NOT dampening products. Our products afford no pathway of vibration from the product to the shelf, meaning better sound all around."

BTW, there is a little typo you may want to fix as it should read damping, not dampening.

In any event and IMO, regardless of words or claims, Stillpoints products follow the resonant energy transfer methodology, not an isolation-based methodology for at least the following reasons:

Since the entire universal and everything in it consists of one form of vibration or another, isolating an object from all sources of vibration is contrary to the laws of physics, though obviously many highly intelligent people spend entire lifetimes trying. Even in a vacuum chamber an object must be levitating to completely isolate from ALL sources of vibration. Moreover, if/when one successfully isolates an object from one source of vibration, it goes without saying that other sources of vibration captured at the object remain trapped and must release their energy within.

For example. In audio we have 3 primary sources of vibration, floor-borne, air-borne, and internally-generated, e.g. power supplies, motors, speaker drivers, etc. If I placed my amp in a box of sand, I have just severed any potential for floor-borne vibrations to enter the amp's chassis. But at the exact same moment in time, I've just trapped all air-borne and internally-generated vibrations within the amp so that they must fully dissipate within.

But I think I can prove Stillpoint products follow the coupling methodology rather than isolation based on your words alone. You said it can take weeks for Stillpoints to fully settle.

If I took a pair of scissors to cut my lamp cord, instantly the light bulb ceases to function. That act is a form of isolation as I'm severing an electrical conduit so that energy ceases to travel its normal path to the light bulb, and the effects of severing are always instantaneous. IOW, I don't have to wait weeks for the unwanted energy to stop traveling. Going back to the amp placed in a sandbox, again that act of preventing energy from rising up from the floor into the amp's chassis again is instantaneous and I do not have to wait for weeks to pass for that energy path to fully severe. Moreover, if Stillpoint products were true isolation-based products, there should be no need whatsoever for hard / rigid materials like ceramic or steel as those are preferred materials for use as mechanical conduits to allow mechanical energy to travel. Unless of course such materials were used solely for aesthetic purposes.

I suppose I should ask, if indeed Stillpoints products were truly isolating unwanted energies as they claim, could I not more easily and inexpensively and more immediately accomplish this feat by using sand, rubber, Sorbathane, air-filled bladders, bungee cords hanging from the ceiling, etc, or even just using rubber footers that come standard with so many products? Seriously, if isolation was a legitimate vibration controlling methodology, how difficult can it be to isolate something from a single source i.e. floor-borne vibrations?

But the real question is, if one fully isolated floor-borne vibrations from entering a component or speaker, what happens to the continuous bombardment of air-borne and internally-generated vibrations captured at and in the component that are now trapped within and must now fully dissipate and release its energy within?

To the naked eye, you are probably correct, but at a microscopic level, I suspect minor movement, unless the product is tightly fastened or welded. Especially for an object vibrating so violently such as a speaker producing music at 105db.

I agree. But as per my comments above, that's because there is a mechanical settling in period for the Stillpoints products which always comes with resonant energy transfer (aka coupling) products but which never occurs with a product attempting to isolate (aka decoupling). Again, because truly isolating an object from a single source of energy is always an instantaneous act.

Yes, provided we agree that your use of the term "works very well" is a relative term used by some-to-many who have little understanding or experience with various vibration controlling products or methodologies.

I see nothing wrong with your statement of using one's ears as the final arbiter. After all, we're talking audio performance here. But there's a host of audiophiles with a passion for scientific proof around here who apparently would take great issue with that statement.

Agreed. However, when talking performance, often times there is a rhyme or reason for a given design and in some instances such as here, design (and materials) means absolutely everything. Nevertheless, there are vibration-controlling designs, executions, and methodologies that provide even far greater levels of musicality.

Couldn't agree more. But I find very few willing to do so. Especially in such conventional wisdom type matters such as the concept and theory of isolation which has been around what seems like forever.

As mentioned above, the act of truly isolating an object from a single source of vibration is perhaps among the most simple and straightforward concepts that perhaps even a 5 year-old could understand and successfully execute. I'm unsure why some attempt to make that concept a complex matter.

BTW, I'm not saying that Stillpoints products are ineffective by any means. But since their materials and designs appear to be in direct conflict with the terminology used, I can't help but wonder whether Stillpoints fully understands what it is that their products are doing.
Hi Stehno,
The problem with just going by pics is that makes it much harder to understand how they work. Pick up a Stillpoint Ultra 5 or 6 in particular and it's pretty evident how the stainless steel and ceramic bearings packets work to decouple by making the movement shift to the horizontal plane. That the energy can't travel straight down in an uninterrupted path qualifies them as isolating rather than damping devices.

It's not rocket science, just good science and good engineering.

Best of all, if rather than having a virtual experience you had a real experience of them you could then better determine how the context and nature of them can change the experience of music in a setup, at least in the context of whatever system you audition them on. All the armchair arguments in the world are probably a lot less fun or memorable than any good experience with gear in real life and that's what you can potentially miss out on by arguing theory rather than having experience as well.

I've read John Tverdik from Stillpoints forum comments as Allvinyl on various boards for years and he strikes me as a very straight forward, honest and highly experienced audiophile who is quite reserved in his comments even on his own companies products. He is clearly knowledgeable and his engineering based explanations make it evident he understands Stillpoint products as well as any and with respect probably far better than anyone with no experience or real understanding of how they work or how good they are especially from someone just looking at pics and interpreting how they might work or sound. They are worth an audition.

graham

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi Stehno,
The problem with just going by pics is that makes it much harder to understand how they work. Pick up a Stillpoint Ultra 5 or 6 in particular and it's pretty evident how the stainless steel and ceramic bearings packets work to decouple by making the movement shift to the horizontal plane. That the energy can't travel straight down in an uninterrupted path qualifies them as isolating rather than damping devices.

Hi, graham. I hope I was clear that I was basing part of my opinion from observation of pictures of the external only but also on materials employed and Stillpoints' verbiage about their products. And it really shouldn't make any difference whether or not the stainless steel and internal ceramic bearings work to "decouple" by making the movement (energy?) shift to the horizontal plane. I doubt that it does but if per chance it really did do that, then IMO the design is even more compromised than originally thought. For the simple reason that resonant (vibrational) energy behaves just like electricity in that it is always seeking the most expedient path of least resistance to ground.

To be more accurate I'll restate. Electricity, being yet another form of vibration, behaves just like vibrational energy in that it (vibrational energy) is always seeking the most expedient path of least resistance to ground. That is, once it attaches itself to a physical object like a component chassis and internals or a speaker cabinet and internals. Unless of course, an attempt is made to severe or compromise that mechanical conduit in which little or no energy is allowed to travel / exit.

But it does seem you overlooked my numerous statements that the act of "isolating" occurs instantaneously in a moment of time. The fact that John freely admitted that his products often times take weeks to fully settle (aka perform their best), should suffice as proof that regardless of how many times the word "isolation" is used to describe what a product is doing, that simply isn't the case here.

It's not rocket science, just good science and good engineering.

If nobody truly understands it, maybe it is rocket science after all, but it need not be. And no it's not good science nor is it good engineering. IMO, it's conventional wisdom and common folklore. Nothing more. Based on my words in the previous paragraph, vibration isolation is simply a grossly inferior execution of the one true vibration controlling methodology, resonant energy transfer.

Best of all, if rather than having a virtual experience you had a real experience of them you could then better determine how the context and nature of them can change the experience of music in a setup, at least in the context of whatever system you audition them on.

Best of all? Actually, I've some experience with vibration controlling products and I'm well aware of other vibration controlling products' potential gains. Some might even say I'm more aware than others.

All the armchair arguments in the world are probably a lot less fun or memorable than any good experience with gear in real life and that's what you can potentially miss out on by arguing theory rather than having experience as well.

Should I assume you're speaking of yourself and/or others?

I've read John Tverdik from Stillpoints forum comments as Allvinyl on various boards for years and he strikes me as a very straight forward, honest and highly experienced audiophile who is quite reserved in his comments even on his own companies products. He is clearly knowledgeable and his engineering based explanations make it evident he understands Stillpoint products as well as any and with respect probably far better than anyone with no experience or real understanding of how they work or how good they are especially from someone just looking at pics and interpreting how they might work or sound. They are worth an audition.

graham

John's character is not at issue here. At least not from my perspective. What Stillpoints products do or don't do according to any associated text is. As is the fundamentals of superior vibration controlling designs, principles, and methods verse inferior ones.

Again, by no means am I saying that Stillpoints are ineffective. The fact that their products are coupling of sorts should be proof enough (for me anyway) that they can and apparently do provide a performance benefit. Just like driving a BMW X5 at the local drag strip beats the cheese out of a school bus, and a Bugatti Veyron even more so.

I also think Stillpoints is to be commended for designing a product that apparently outperforms whatever product Wolf designed for his Magico's. Which I have to assume is quite an inferior design. Because it's not rocket science, right?

On another note, I'm curious how many improvements are achieved during and/or at the conclusion of the settling in period? And what determines the end of the settling in period?

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I also think Stillpoints is to be commended for designing a product that apparently outperforms whatever product Wolf designed for his Magico's. Which I have to assume is quite an inferior design. Because it's not rocket science, right?
I assume you are being facetious (but maybe not, my English is somewhat literal), but just to set the record straight, I counted 4 Magico users here, 3 did not like the SP and one liked it, but on someone else set-up:rolleyes:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
BTW, and that was not my intention here as I do think SP do work in some circumstances, but if you read SP “white paper” on their web site, all 3 sentences of it, and you are of a basic scientific mind, you will wonder. It talks about true isolation with “no direct path” between components and surfaces.
SP claims that because they use 2 layer of bearing, (i.e. one ball that rest on 3-4 balls), they created an isolation device, as oppose to a single bearing device that will only function as a damper. Maybe a bit misleading…
You can Google their patent (US6655668 B1), and understand better what it is they are doing. The terms “no direct path” is not mentioned at all, and the word “isolation“ is used only once to describe the type of devices the market is in need for. They are not patenting an isolation device, and I don’t see how “bearing stacking” create true isolation, they are touching one another after all.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I assume you are being facetious (but maybe not, my English is somewhat literal), but just to set the record straight, I counted 4 Magico users here, 3 did not like the SP and one liked it, but on someone else set-up:rolleyes:

Not being facetious at all. I've not followed any of the feedback on other related threads but by glimpsing over the posts in this thread I got the impression that most Magico owners found the Stillpoints superior over the stock products.

With no ill-will against Stillpoints I hope Wolf's designs are sonically superior because as I mentioned in a post here the other day, from where I sit and from what others described between Wolf's spike / point design and Stillpoints designs, I speculated that the performance of Wolf's simplified designs should (that's should) easily surpass that of the Stillpoints. In which case, that would only help substantiate my position here about vibration controlling designs, materials, and methodologies. And I'm always in favor of having my own position substantiated. Even if it is only by me. :)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
BTW, and that was not my intention here as I do think SP do work in some circumstances, but if you read SP “white paper” on their web site, all 3 sentences of it, and you are of a basic scientific mind, you will wonder. It talks about true isolation with “no direct path” between components and surfaces.

SP claims that because they use 2 layer of bearing, (i.e. one ball that rest on 3-4 balls), they created an isolation device, as oppose to a single bearing device that will only function as a damper. Maybe a bit misleading…
You can Google their patent (US6655668 B1), and understand better what it is they are doing. The terms “no direct path” is not mentioned at all, and the word “isolation“ is used only once to describe the type of devices the market is in need for. They are not patenting an isolation device, and I don’t see how “bearing stacking” create true isolation, they are touching one another after all.

Very perceptive, cannata.

Generally speaking, it is not unusual for a vibration controlling mfg'er to mislabel the employed methodology because ..., well, let's just say when it comes to any product related to vibration control, the automatic assumption is that it must be isolation-based because, let's face it, there's only about 5 or 10 who are even aware of an alternative methodology.

Along that same vein, I'm convinced there's 1 or 2 mfg'ers who knowingly produce product adhering strictly to the resonant energy transfer, yet intentionally call them isolation products, because they know they would obtain few if any sales if they called them anything but. Because that's all the masses know and are comfortable with.

Sometimes, it's really nothing more than keeping up with the Jones and the Montague's. If others say vibration isolation-based products work for them, then that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Not being facetious at all. I've not followed any of the feedback on other related threads but by glimpsing over the posts in this thread I got the impression that most Magico owners found the Stillpoints superior over the stock products.
I think that you are getting confused with others, not Magico users, that feel the need to interject. Like I said, I think I counted 4 users (me included), only one had positive reaction, and that is to a friend set up. As far as I know (and can tell from my experience), Magico goes to great lengths building a super rigid enclosure, and using an elaborate CLD scheme to damp the box. Once that is done, all you need to do is make sure the enclosure is well coupled to the floor. Simple (well, kind of) and effective;)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Under which components did you try Stillpoints and what did you hear?

I have never tried Stillpoints. But then again, neither have I tried Wolf's. So I'm just speculating toward both in their designs, materials, methods, claims, and potential results. I hope I was clear about that.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the soulution would be , and yes this could be the one and only speaker(speakerfooter) test we could all agree on , ......:D
Put a glass of water on top of a speaker , establish a pre amp outputlevelstandard for example a 1khz signal at 90 db , or higher maybe
Play the same kind of musical piece , preferably a bass heavy/dynamic musical piece and see what the wrinkles do , same goes for a laser dot connected firmly to the top of the speaker .

We can discuss until we are all 105 years old , but practicallity brings much more

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I think the soulution would be , and yes this could be the one and only speaker(speakerfooter) test we could all agree on , ......:D
Put a glass of water on top of a speaker , establish a pre amp outputlevelstandard for example a 1khz signal at 90 db , or higher maybe
Play the same kind of musical piece , preferably a bass heavy/dynamic musical piece and see what the wrinkles do , same goes for a laser dot connected firm;ly to the top of the speaker .

We can discuss until we are all 105 years old , but practicallity brings much more

Hear, hear! :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I tried the laser pointer last night, but the laser will not stay on unless the button is pressed, so I need to fix that. I tried the water on top while playing rock at relatively loud (80/90 db) level. There was an almost imperceptible movement on the surface, and I had to look at it from various angles to see it. This is with the stock spikes into the carpet, on a wood floor. The house itself is on a concrete slab with no crawl space under it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have a concrete floor ( appartmentbuilding ) , with a solid wooden floor on top of it and no carpet under the speakers only in front

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Play the same kind of musical piece , preferably a bass heavy/dynamic musical piece and see what the wrinkles do , same goes for a laser dot connected firmly to the top of the speaker .

Sorry, but just because your "test" sounds good on its face, does not necessarily imply there's any substance to it.

For example, it's not the water-filled glass that determines best solution for controlling vibrations. In an environment with music playing constantly, trapped energy remains pretty constant so if the energy is not being released at the cabinet, that should imply its being released internally, which is actually worse since that's where the x-over and drivers are located.

One would need to determine somehow how much energy is being transmitted to the mechanical conduit under the speaker or better yet how much energy is being transferred to the flooring system in comparison to how much remains trapped at or in the speaker cabinet and how much is read at the input stage of the mechanical footer and how much is written at the mechanical footer's output stage.

Frankly, I doubt this is reasonably possible to measure since there's mechanical energy potentially traveling while at the same time there's mechanical energy potentially fully releasing in its place and dissipating in any given situation. I assume it's difficult to make any distinction here. Of course, there's always the potential energy already dissipating, that the object to which its attached may well be vibrating in sympathy to the vibrations received, thereby generating even more energy there.

It becomes even more unreasonable when one needs to wait, days, weeks, months, or even years for the mechanic footer to fully settle in (reach its full potential) before conducting any A/B type of testing.

Any reason why one couldn't count on their super-keen well-trained ears?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing