Stillpoints and Magico

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
BTW, andromedaaudio, great job on what appears to be excellent craftsmanship and quality speakers.

With regard to androemdaaudio's youtube video showing the water-filled glass and the water not pulsating. Was anybody not the least bit curious why he (or any of you) never expressed concern of sound degradation with his side-firing woofer continuously bombarding low-frequency sound waves directly into his amp that contained 16 exposed glass tubes (yes, I counted them)?

I'm not questioning andronemaaudio's hearing abilities (though that should always be a question mark for every last enthusiast and reviewer).

The million dollar question is,

Since low frequency sound waves are very impacting - so much so that we can even feel their presence from 20 or 30 ft away, why is it that any one of us could place our sensitive instruments in the direct line of fire of a woofer and not perceive any degradation in sonics?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I just did the glass experiment on 3 different volume settings , with volume at 11-12 oclock ( meaning neighbours will show up ) absolutely nothing:D .
I ll upload the vid
To me the whole coupling decoupling argument is greatly influenced as to how non resonant is your speakerhousing anyway , what is the weight of it , how is your floor (obviously )

This will eventually appear in the highest standard of audiofile magazines , the glass of water and laser dot test (patented by WBF forum:D )

So I notice you have a very big port on the back… You know that big hole that will let most of the pressure building inside the enclosure escae. Why would you think that your speakers will move, you can put them on rollers, they will be just fine. This is a post on Magico/SP combo, not just any speakers/SP combo. You do realis that all Magico speakers are sealed. The pressure inside have nowhere to go. Try sealing your port get a 6000W amp to play some real bass (like the one in the link) and report back. In the mean time have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_h7LeEFXTQ

There was also one showing a water glass on a Q7 way back on Computer Audiophile site, not moving at ~120db Jay-Z cut.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you make your speaker like a bombshelter itself , closing it aint the problem , its only airpressure that builts up, where are we talking about here , 0,1 -0,2 bar overpressure max maybe on full wooferswing , the thing i have against a closed woofersystem is that there is more pressure built up within the housing , this built up can /will work against the movement of the woofercone moving in and out especially with high system demand /loud spls , via a bassreflex system the housing is able to equalize somewhat
Mine can be closed as well , i ll do the same test with the port closed dont worry .
And no not all speakers need 6000 watt to reach their full potential , my point is that opinions can be shared but conlusions can be done only by testing and vibration testing is well excepted in the industry i work in .
Maybe the audio magazines /forums should start to do some proper housing vibration testing , instead of talking :D

DSC_0091 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you make your speaker like a bombshelter itself , closing it aint the problem , its only airpressure that builts up, where are we talking about here , 0,1 -0,2 bar overpressure max maybe on full wooferswing , the thing i have against a closed woofersystem is that there is more pressure built up within the housing , this built up can /will work against the movement of the woofercone moving in and out especially with high system demand /loud spls , via a bassreflex system the housing is able to equalize somewhat
Mine can be closed as well , i ll do the same test with the port closed dont worry .
And no not all speakers need 6000 watt to reach their full potential , my point is that opinions can be shared but conlusions can be done only by testing and vibration testing is well excepted in the industry i work in .
Maybe the audio magazines /forums should start to do some proper housing vibration testing , instead of talking :D

DSC_0091 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Well said. Vibration control can bring a very good sounding system to great sounding. I'm talking speakers, amps, pre's and source components be it analog or digital. Subsonic vibration in the lowest hertz that we can't hear or feel impacts equipment performance negatively.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well said. Vibration control can bring a very good sounding system to great sounding. I'm talking speakers, amps, pre's and source components be it analog or digital. Subsonic vibration in the lowest hertz that we can't hear or feel impacts equipment performance negatively.

Completely agree. This is exactly what I have found also. There are many ways to address vibration, some more effective and costly than others. From what I heard when listening to your system, your turntable is evidence of vibration being properly addressed.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

You're quite right, Rockitman. With the exception that our sensitive components are affected by vibrating frequencies throughout the spectrum. If not, where would you guess the approximate cutoff frequency is where components cease being affected by vibrations?

But based on one of your previous posts, I'm not sure I quite follow what you're saying. Are you implying that lower bass frequencies traveling through the speaker cabinet, through the speaker's footers, into the sub-flooring, across the sub-flooring, up through the rack, through the amp's footers, into the chassis induces more deleterious distortions at the amp chassis and internals than an amp just 2 feet away and directly in the line of fire of a woofer?

Let me ask you another question.

Assume you're stopped at a traffic light. Suddenly you're entire car starts pulsating severely by some kid's stereo in the car directly behind. You're stomach's in knots and you're thinking maybe you'd get some relief if you blew chunks. You look in your rearview mirror to view the kid but it too is pulsating so severely you can't even tell if it's a boy or girl, it's just a pulsating blur. Now your car is resting on air-filled radial footers as is the car behind you pumping out the subterranean bass.

From whence are the vibrations entering your car, the pavement or the air?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A very good analogy, Stehno!

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
A very good analogy, Stehno!

Thanks, RonR. I'm glad at least somebody understood it.

BTW, you're tops in my book. ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I
You're quite right, Rockitman. With the exception that our sensitive components are affected by vibrating frequencies throughout the spectrum. If not, where would you guess the approximate cutoff frequency is where components cease being affected by vibrations?

But based on one of your previous posts, I'm not sure I quite follow what you're saying. Are you implying that lower bass frequencies traveling through the speaker cabinet, through the speaker's footers, into the sub-flooring, across the sub-flooring, up through the rack, through the amp's footers, into the chassis induces more deleterious distortions at the amp chassis and internals than an amp just 2 feet away and directly in the line of fire of a woofer?

Let me ask you another question.

Assume you're stopped at a traffic light. Suddenly you're entire car starts pulsating severely by some kid's stereo in the car directly behind. You're stomach's in knots and you're thinking maybe you'd get some relief if you blew chunks. You look in your rearview mirror to view the kid but it too is pulsating so severely you can't even tell if it's a boy or girl, it's just a pulsating blur. Now your car is resting on air-filled radial footers as is the car behind you pumping out the subterranean bass.

From whence are the vibrations entering your car, the pavement or the air?

What I am saying in terms of vibration, everything matters. There are vibrations created by the home, mechanicals inside the home, road traffic outside of the home. The better you are able to isolate and or dissipate those vibrations, the better performance of the equipment involved and hence the overall sound enjoyment experience. There are no Beach Boys "Good Vibrations".

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I

What I am saying in terms of vibration, everything matters. There are vibrations created by the home, mechanicals inside the home, road traffic outside of the home. The better you are able to isolate and or dissipate those vibrations, the better performance of the equipment involved and hence the overall sound enjoyment experience. There are no Beach Boys "Good Vibrations".

Oh, I get it. :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing