Sonus Faber Suprema Flagship Loudspeaker $750,000

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have nothing against the manufacturers or dealers who make money, nor against those who are non-audiophiles, have money, and just buy the pricey stuff without any pretense of knowing how good it sounds. Problem is the guys who flock the forums, correlate price to performance for the simple reason of justifying why what they bought is sonically the best.

Not all correlate price to performance. I learned this lesson over time and exposure. Certainly there are examples of great gear costing a lot. The airtight opus cartridge is one such example.

Reactions: adyc

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bose had satellites 50 years ago Peter? Maybe forty years ago :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Bose and Wharfedale were my brands back then .
I never forget a friend bought the deep purple in rock album when i was 10 or 12 and a AC/DC album and played it on his parents system with a Dual recordplayer and Bose ls

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I agree with Bob, since he and I are actually in the business, we see varied types of listeners and consumers.The ones that hang around in here and go to audio shows are not the only people that buy expensive gear. Many here think that the Industry survives only with them but that is not the truth. Many if not most of our big sales go to someone purchasing an entire system and using it in their home ( different strokes ) and not ever thinking about anything other than enjoying it. The same is true for other high end things in life. I know that everyone that buys a Porsche isnt racing it or even driving at over 100 mph. They bought it for various reasons which may include they like the way it looks, they like the color, they like the name, they want the brand, they heard it weas good or the best etc. All of that is good and thankfully they spent their money without all the other drama.
When I go to my Porsche dealer most of the people I see there are not terminal autophiles. They just just drive the damn car.
3 Porsche 911 turbos for the price of this speaker system…

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Regardless, Sonus will sell a few of these to people who are convinced by its sound or its looks or it’s price tag and then it will quietly go away…it won’t be remembered like the Infinity IRS. To SFs credit they still make speakers priced well down into the normal audio enthusiasts range. They didn’t go only super high end but maintain a wide range of products.

A friend of mine has Olympica III speakers with Nagra and for a basically normal box speaker it sounds quite good…decent value I would say.

Reactions: matsurus

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regardless, Sonus will sell a few of these to people who are convinced by its sound or its looks or it’s price tag and then it will quietly go away

You have to hear them first , to make an assesment like that .
What i would like to read is an explanation of where the money went .... design/ construction wise.

Reactions: Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You have to hear them first , to make an assesment like that .
What i would like to read is an explanation of where the money went .... design/ construction wise.
Nah, there is simply nothing ground breaking to make them stick in the memory...just a large scale cone/dome speaker...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cone speakers ....

I would simply reduce the room size buy a kharma exquisite Classic , Wadax digital R Koda pre / CH M10 and give the rest to charity :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Cone speakers ....

I would simply reduce the room size buy a kharma exquisite Classic , Wadax digital R Koda pre / CH M10 and give the rest to charity :)
Won't be much left with such a system...and based on what I heard in Munich with Kharma/Wadax and Koda...won't sound particularly good either.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Won't be much left with such a system...and based on what I heard in Munich with Kharma/Wadax and Koda...won't sound particularly good either.

To my ears it does / has potential ;)
Sonus faber hasn t impressed me much over the past 2 - 3 years since i visited shows again.
I have never heard " The Sonus faber " though

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

My new budget cone designs are at the paint shop , should be ready first february.
Something for your portfolio :cool: :)

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I had a pair of Bose 901’s in 1979.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I had a pair of Bose 901’s in 1979.
I had 601s around 1984-5.

Wiki says Bose was established in 1964; I didn’t know it was that early.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
The Bose 901 system with the Specific high powered Bose amplifier was very much in the high -End in the 70’s .

The main issue with the 901 when exhibiting bad sound were when they were under powered and worse with poor quality amplifiers , in order to use the supplied EQ for proper room setup required massive power.

When heard correctly you could easily understand the popularity around them especially during that era ..

Regards

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Earlier when I said all families had was a "victrola" that was a figure of speech. I was actually thinking of the 50's and early 60s which I remember at that time families sitting around listening to a "cabinet stereo" or a stereo with separate speakers.

By the 60's with Bose, Advent, Klipschorn, McIntosh and the receivers (Kenwood, Marantz etc) that is when music playback really started to evolve.

Sorry to digress, this doesn't have anything to do with SF's new speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Earlier when I said all families had was a "victrola" that was a figure of speech. I was actually thinking of the 50's and early 60s which I remember at that time families sitting around listening to a "cabinet stereo" or a stereo with separate speakers.

By the 60's with Bose, Advent, Klipschorn, McIntosh and the receivers (Kenwood, Marantz etc) that is when music playback really started to evolve.

Sorry to digress, this doesn't have anything to do with SF's new speakers.
Consoles Bob, they were called consoles. I'll never forget because my cousin Keith was almost crushed by one. It's okay, stitches. No permanent damage! It's funny now LOL

Man this thread went downhill fast. How the heck did we get to a BOSE 901? ROTFL

• Haha
Reactions: Rhapsody

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
My grandparents still had a victrola and wax cylinders in the 1960s, though I doubt they ever used it much - they were farmers and their lives were centered on work. My parents had a console in the 1960s, they probably used it for parties before I was born but by the 1960s it was mostly a toy for the kids. Things started to improve with 8 track tapes in the early 1970s, which was my intro to "real" music. It's shocking how rapidly the technology has changed -- So, back to the Supreme -- any opinions on whether it has technological advances that will be included in updates to version 2 of the reference line?

I'm thinking about auditioning the Il Cremonese in my house - but if they have new versions coming out soon, maybe I'll wait. I heard the new Amati G5 in a Boulder audio store but the room and set up were so bad it was not possible to form an impression.

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing