Best Amplifier (and preamplifier) for the Sonus Faber Extremas?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I owned and loved my Sonus Faber Extremas for almost 10 years back in the 90s. Certainly the longest period since my AMT1Bs in the 70s.

My electronics at the time were a Counterpoint preamp and the original EL34 based Jadis Defy 7.

Their Achilles' heal was (and still is) that they were notoriously difficult to drive, and the brute force amplifiers of the day lacked the finesse and the beauty to match these extraordinary transducers.

I had the opportunity to hear a pair driven by the remarkable Jadis JA800 four chassis tube amplifiers back in the day, which, while totally impractical, was a match close to sublime.

My question is, what electronics would you chose, modern or classic?

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I think CH Precision would be a great match. For tubes I think CAT amps would be great as well. I have owned several Sonus Faber speakers in the past but never the Extrema. My all time fav was the original Guarneri.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Some other ideas and recommendations?
Would a newer generation Class D as a Jeff Rowland Deamon match the Extremas?
Or maybe a Zanden 9600 with 845 pushpull?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
my friend used to drive it with Gryphon mephisto. Sold it- class A too hot & too massive for his living hall. Now he is driving it with trinity pre & trinity mono which he loved

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
An obviously biased offering from me is WestminsterLab Rei Class A monoblocks and Quest preamplifier. Cool running, powerful (200 watts/channel into your 4 ohm load) and a terrific compliment to Sonus Faber's signature voicing. We recently tested our amplifiers at a clients with Sonus Faber Aida's fronted by an MSB Reference DAC and the results were impressive. I would focus on electronics known for their speed and transparency but do make sure they also have a soul to bring out the best in the SF experience. If you like tubes I can't say enough good things about Margules excellent U-280C tube amplifiers run as monoblocks.

Best of luck in finding just the right combination. Your speakers are absolutely beautiful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing