Some new pics of my digs

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-Speakers are 8' apart and I'm back around 13'.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That would be the Krell KPE Reference phono stage. If you look under the Krell KBL in the stand, you can see two power supplies, one is for the KBL and the one on the left is the KPE Reference power supply.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I appreciate the input. Would I get much better imaging and soundstage if I could move the two equipment racks away from the current location? I sure would like to find that out. However, any suggestions on where I would move those two racks of gear based on looking at the pictures of my room from different angles? I only see two choices:

1. relocate the gear to behind my listening chair. Drawbacks would be I would need more electrical outlets run on that wall and I would have a pair of long ICs running across the floor to the amp.
2. relocate the gear to room that's inside of my left wall (the wall the CD rack is against). Drawbacks would be my preamp and source material are now in another room and I would need more electrical outlets run.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Most definitely! Every time someone complains about image and soundstage, there is invariably a rack between the speakers. There was another forum member who said that he wanted better imaging and was asking for gear suggestions but I suggested moving the gear would result in far better imaging than buying loudspeakers. See why my dealers love to hate me?

Your LP racks are empty enough that you could consolidate them and move the racks between two of them. Running long balanced interconnects is not a problem. I run mine 6meters and I think that JackD also run long ones.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-The problem is that my LP rack was custom built by my brother, it's attached to the wall, and the carpet was installed after my brother built the rack. And, I do plan on filling in the blanks with new LPs.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
mep

I would second Gary. The configuration you presently have, is the easiest for audiophiles but it is far from the optimum. I prefer to put the front end out of the front speaker plane. Not only the image but the whole sound quality on analogue will increase by a notch. I learned of this a long time, when Dave Wilson was a writer at TAS back in the early 80's .. He always advocated long Interconnects, short speaker cables. To mitigate the likely high cost of long cables, I would suggest Mogami because it is tried and true. And for those who believe in cables as good as anything you have on this planet ... 30 feet will set you back a whopping $50 shipping included ... The difference can be very profound.

Second is seating position which I find too close to the cavity behind your back... I would have preferred a seating position closer to the speakers.. No !! I am not suggesting a near field approach, simply to observe as much as possible the same distance from the back wall as you speakers are to their own back wall... Too often people take an inordinate amount of time to find the best position for the speakers and to seat wih their back on the wall... The speakers positioning is always with respect to a seating position and in my numerous years as an audiophile have always found the best seating position to one far away from room boundaries.. The rule of hird help but I have found that observing the same distance from the back wall as the speakers from their own yield very good results ... So a few inch in font may help .. Of course hen you have to re-adjust toe-in... but I see you tend to mark the previous positions and spots with tape so you can always move back to what you know and like.. This is very simple to implement .. Move your listening chair about a foot toward the speakers and adjust toe-in accordingly .. Report if you like you keep don't like .. Don't keep.

Great lloking room and great set of gears

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I appreciate all of the good ideas. The question is, move the gear to the place behind my chair and run ICs across my carpet or try and find space in my workshop room which is behind the left wall where the CD rack is? Even if I moved the CD rack somewhere else, I don’t think there is enough space there to place all of the gear on that wall.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mark,

Got a floor plan we could look at? :)

The youtube vid sounds great by the way. I can only imagine what the real thing sounds like. Good job man.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Mark,

Everything sounds and looks great,especially those 350's.;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Mark, a floorplan with dimensions will be good. Replacing the CD rack with the equipment might have them to close to the firing line of the speakers. Behind the listening position would be good, then you will be forced to sit a little away from the back alcove. I also second his suggestion of Mogami interconnects - to better them, you would have to spend far, far more (if you believe in cables).

Moving the rack to the work room might just make it too much trouble to change discs and tapes. I'm sure you'll think of something. Keep the rack at least half as much in front of the plane of the speakers as the seating position. If you sit 13' in front of the speakers, put the rack at least 7ft or more in front of the speakers. That's just a general rule though......

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... I doubt just moving the rack will significantly change things, not nearly as much as simply moving a little closer to the speakers. I suspect the relatively far distance and big resonant cave directly the listening spot is the major detriment to sound. If any; nice room, Mark!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Don-There seems to be a growing consensus that my soundstage would be better if I got the equipment racks out from being between my speakers and move them someplace else. Obviously that entails a fair amount of work. That Otari R2R damn near weighs 100 Lbs and since my TNT stand has the legs filled with lead shot, there goes another 100 lbs. Besides that, I have very few choices on where to relocate the rack. There is not enough room on the left wall as I need 5' of wall length which puts me next to the left speaker. The only real choice that I see is to move them to behind where I sit now and move my listening chair further into the room.

Guys-somewhere I actually have the room plan drawings that were used to build the room. I just don't how easy I could lay my hands on them. If you look at the pictures of the room, the front wall where the gear is located is 15' wide. The room goes off to an L shape at the rear of the room on the left side of the room which you can see from the picture that shows the RCM. That adds another 45.5" of width to the room. The room length is 23'. The door you see behind where I sit leads to a closet under the stairs. There is another door to the right of the closet door which leads into a full bathroom.

I just had a small brainstorm. If you look at the picture of the left wall, you see a door to the left of the CD rack. That is the door that leads into the workshop. I could remove that door, sheetrock it in, and that would add 43" to the left wall which would give enough space to set up the equipment racks and be out of the line of fire of the speakers. That would mean I would have to move the RCM and put the entrance door to the workshop room on the wall where the RCM is which is doable. That might be the most elegant solution.

Let me know what you think.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
mep

Tha is what happens when you open your heart on Audio Fora..... We tear it apart :) .. I would try the easiest. Move your chair a good foot or more forward and toe in your speakers more. See how you like it and take it from there. it may be much more substantial than anything else as well as easier. it would take at most two hours, I would not go moving things around , sealing doors and getting involved in a whole construction project.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing