So I bought I pair of Rockports...

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Hey you're entitled to express your opinion..why we're all here! And I do see your point...I think where some of us are coming from...it's not often you get to go from one killer good speaker (like the wilson) to another killer good speaker (like the rockport) in a same room...and really put the differences under a microscope like I (fortunately I should add) got to...

I will say...the Rockport Avior at 30K might have made it a more interesting battle...one that I was actually considering....

I have nothing but total respect for both brands...both make awesome speakers

This isn't about Wilson or Rockport. I'm simply saying, I hope a speaker from any manufacture that cost "49% more" sounds better. I'm assuming the Aviors sounds better than the Mira 2s? It should at "76 %" more. I like comparison like, are the Altairs 233% better than Aviors? To me it helps to put things in perspective.
On a side note: I will be listening to Aviors in a couple of days.

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
John,
Tried replying to you in A'gon and system would not let me...
Glad to see you're enjoying the new speakers. They are special.

One my end, now have echole cables from source to speaker. Really enjoying them, of course.
Would love to come see and hear the new setup. Lots of changes on your end since I was last there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had a chance to compare the Aquila (~ $46K) with the MAXX 3 and aside from a very slight edge to the Wilson in dynamic punch the Aquila bettered it otherwise.

I'd be interested to see a direct comparison of the Altair to the X-2 or XLF. I'm willing to bet that it would be a very close race.

I have spoken with two people who've heard both in extremely good setups, and felt the Altair is a match to the Alexandria in many respects, suggesting they thought Altairs wins on coherence with a slightly smaller soundstage/not quite the dynamic punch where X2 wins. I have also read something a long time about someone who heard Altairs and Arrakis at Rockport and the Alexandrias at TA Audio in Maine...and made similar comments i think.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,
Tried replying to you in A'gon and system would not let me...
Glad to see you're enjoying the new speakers. They are special.

One my end, now have echole cables from source to speaker. Really enjoying them, of course.
Would love to come see and hear the new setup. Lots of changes on your end since I was last there.

Hi Gayle, stop by anytime...I am sure Arnie wants to come by soon also..I'd like to get to your place soon also...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This isn't about Wilson or Rockport. I'm simply saying, I hope a speaker from any manufacture that cost "49% more" sounds better. I'm assuming the Aviors sounds better than the Mira 2s? It should at "76 %" more. I like comparison like, are the Altairs 233% better than Aviors? To me it helps to put things in perspective.

Please let us know what you think...I for one am curious at your impressions. Thanks in advance

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Did you ever listen to your speakers driven by Absolare tube electronics? A good friend who listened to such system in the Munich show was very impressed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
John,

Did you ever listen to your speakers driven by Absolare tube electronics? A good friend who listened to such system in the Munich show was very impressed.

Absolare is just beginning to be imported into the US.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

As far as I know Abolare products are manufactured into the US. :confused:

Yes you're right. Seems they're designed all over but built in the US. But they are first getting shown at shows. :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Yes you're right. Seems they're designed all over but built in the US. But they are first getting shown at shows. :)

If I am not mistaken , Kerem from Echole cables is involved with them at some level .

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Assuming the same make and the same product line/family, price and size are often directly proportional. Every time I changed speakers to a larger, more expensive one it has because I changed rooms to a larger one. I'd be happy with just as good but if you go from a 20sq/m room to an 80sq/m room, and you're after maintaing scale in the same way you'd go from a 42" plasma to an anamorphic projection system, it just ain't going to happen with the smaller less expensive speaker.

The better companies do their best not to sacrifice quality whatever the size and thus price of their speakers, instead, they make loudspeakers for different sized domiciles. Often they have separate lines where the sacrifices are made to be more affordable.

If one were to ask if their reference lines were really better than their more commercial lines, I think the greater majority will agree. Whether the price difference is worth it is a different story altogether. While I have known many of people that wouldn't pony up, I have never met anyone that did not wish deep down that they could one day move up if not now, sometime in the future.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,

I have a friend close b with a Absolare preamp...the top one....it replaced a VTL 7.5 Series 3. It was a pretty big improvement....and the VTL is a great preamp...I've read and now heard great things...however, I am pretty awestruck by the Koda Tukami K10, I have it on order now and my dealer is now the 1st US based dealer for Robert Koda.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have a friend close b with a Absolare preamp...the top one....it replaced a VTL 7.5 Series 3. It was a pretty big improvement....and the VTL is a great preamp...I've read and now heard great things...however, I am pretty awestruck by the Koda Tukami K10, I have it on order now and my dealer is now the 1st US based dealer for Robert Koda.

On a rolll jfrech more power to you !

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Congrats! Looks and should sound great!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you tell us which speakers he is using? Does he also own the matching power amplifiers?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Can you tell us which speakers he is using? Does he also own the matching power amplifiers?

He has Rockport Arrakis and 4 VTL amps via the Rockport crossover from his Absolare pre...it's a amazing system

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
He has Rockport Arrakis and 4 VTL amps via the Rockport crossover from his Absolare pre...it's a amazing system

Another killer rig by the looks of it!

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
You see, this is the sort of thing that drives me bonkers. As stated I have hardly had time to breath between moves, a pair of 'my' ultimate speakers always down, down on the list. Though who can explain my preference for buying power amps. I can't say.

Wow! Mr. Frech, I hadn't realised you were an all-out rig builder as you seem to be. They are really very good looking things.

Robert Koda-K-70_K-10_Initial Plugging-8.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mind if I ask where you snagged those 417as.? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing