Rockport Lyra

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
“A culmination of years of research and development“… I am not saying these footers don’t work but by Jove we are a pathetic bunch by just swallowing this kind of “information“ or should I say “justification” :rolleyes:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I read you can improve Lyra performance by swapping the feet for the stillpoints. Has anyone tried?
We use them now on our XLFs. With our original X1/Grand SLAMMS we had the Ultra 5s which transferred across to the XLFs when we first set them up before finetuning/calibrating...but before the actual calibration, the Ultra 7s got swapped in.

Overall for the XLFs, the Ultra 7s (more so even than the 5s) provide the Wilsons with greater upper bass attack and resolution. Overall, the presentation from top to bottom is more resolved, more resolute. Because the upper modules of Wilsons are adjusted for the room, height and distance of listener, you may wish to think about what happens in your own case if the speaker gets taller or shorter relative to the speakers' existing feet.

There are other options out there, including Wilson's own diode feet. But the Ultra 7s work well.

Reactions: John T and ationg

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I think they will actually try to introduce something new at Munich probably the little Orion. Time is tight but if they don't make it then I would guess it would be by the end of this year. That's just my opinion. A new flagship to better the Lyra would be by necessity larger with more surface area and be quite a bit more expensive. I think this will still be a few years away. Ron, please do a follow up interview!

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Since the Orion drivers configuration has been proven, I speculate the new flagship will use more of the 13" driver...a bigger Orion rather than a bigger Lyra .. )

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Any speculation at this time unftunatelly makes no sense. But we try to predict future any way.
Andy's success is based on "starting open minded" principle.
It was mentioned here already and in Andy's video that this company is not tight to any technology or crossover order that was "deeply commercialized" so Rockport doesn't have to follow any restrictions.
They have 100% freedom of picking the best available techniques, technology and if not available developing it.

The very best way to predict the future is to create it .
It sounds Andy did that long before I started.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Kris, I agree. I just spoke with them again yesterday. They are really thrilled at where they are right now. There is a new product coming soon but they are in no rush. They do want to grow a little and build a new facility but this is just meant to decrease the backlog not to massively increase sales. They really don’t want a lot more people/employees. A lot of people have trouble understanding a company that is satisfied with who they are and aren’t looking to dominate the market. When it makes sense to them they will build a new flagship product. We will all have to wait a while. When it happens it will be demonstrably better than anything else they have done before.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
How many of you have your Orions and Lyras bi-wired or b-amped? I understand single wiring posts are standard..

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
How many of you have your Orions and Lyras bi-wired or b-amped? I understand single wiring posts are standard..
I am single wired and use Transparent cabling, which is what I think is on the inside also and what they use at the factory for tuning/listening.

I think this is the preferred method by Andy...

Reactions: ationg

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I am single wired and use Transparent cabling, which is what I think is on the inside also and what they use at the factory for tuning/listening.

I think this is the preferred method by Andy...
Exactly. This is standard .

I asked them and biwire makes no sense .
Only if you want to biamp they say it has
" potential benefit " meaning no guarantee.
They added info that those are very easy to drive speakers so benefits of biamping are questionable.
And costs are extreme with biamp.

Also
If you decide to have double binding posts you MUST order it at factory.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
No details only a Ha!!!! when I mentioned Rons interview. I asked about Munich and they said they would try but time was tight. I didn't ask about specific details. As to bi wiring they are not believers and as Kris said bi amping might under some circumstances make sense.

Reactions: ationg and Kris

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
My Orions are single wired with Odin 2's. I also see no value in bi wiring and questionable potential return on an investment for bi-amping. I honestly don't see how the sound can get any better in my room with the simple setup I am using.

Cincy

Reactions: ationg

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
How do people move their Orions and Lyra for repositioning? I have my Cygnus on ceramic tiles but at 280lb each I cannot even move them by one inch without help from family members :) . Rather challenging for aging backs.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
How do people move their Orions and Lyra for repositioning? I have my Cygnus on ceramic tiles but at 280lb each I cannot even move them by one inch without help from family members :) . Rather challenging for aging backs.

yeah, you need help to move a mm. Teflon furniture pads are helpful for positioning. But fine increments need to be on the footers, I was down to 1mm in any direction including the rake angle but I said that's it. My dealer did all the help here.

Reactions: SuperDave

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
To bi-amp or not is a religious argument, with acolytes, true believers and zealots lined up on both sides. No right or wrong answer is possible.

Both sides serve the same god, perfection in musical reproduction, and as in any religion each has their own view of who and what that god is, and their relationship to it. Thus, there can be no absolute judgement as to what is truly best, truly right, or truly anything.

The poster is basically conducting a poll, how many of whomever believes what.

For what it's worth, Josh at Rockport chose to bring biwired Orions for review by Robert Hartley at Absolute Sound, and the majority of his listening was conducted passively biamped, by choice.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
yeah, you need help to move a mm. Teflon furniture pads are helpful for positioning. But fine increments need to be on the footers, I was down to 1mm in any direction including the rake angle but I said that's it. My dealer did all the help here.
My dealer can't be bothered to keep coming back to help : ) The pads are helpful. Anyone using the Wilson jack? I have not been able to get hold of it.
1706834571972.png

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My dealer can't be bothered to keep coming back to help : ) The pads are helpful. Anyone using the Wilson jack? I have not been able to get hold of it.
View attachment 124549
I don't think the Wilson jack can slide underneath the Lyra's...I seem to recall my dealer saying that and he had one and not enough clearance.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Alpha, Josh didn't "choose" to bring biwirable Orions to Robert. Robert requested them to use with his AQ Dragons which have main and bass cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing