So I bought I pair of Rockports...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here is a pic I took today...I assume this is the final position ....(and thanks for your kind words)... Nikon 300s with a Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens...no flash. taken from the side and slightly back of the room...

View attachment 9727

Great picture John. The speakers integrate perfectly in the room. I think it will soon find a place in Rockport Technologies portfolio.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Here is a pic I took today...I assume this is the final position ....(and thanks for your kind words)... Nikon 300s with a Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens...no flash. taken from the side and slightly back of the room...

View attachment 9727

Your room is awesome! ...Beautiful, inviting, and comforting.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Nice room, amazing system.. great photo. May you enjoy your system for many extraordinary auditions. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah, I love the hardwood reflector/diffusors. Very classy. This is one system I'd love to hear for myself.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey JFrech,

Would you mind offering some observations about the difference between Maxx3 treble and Altair 2 treble? Thanks!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey JFrech,

Would you mind offering some observations about the difference between Maxx3 treble and Altair 2 treble? Thanks!

Hi well first....the signatures of the two speakers are different...so one isn't right and the other isn't wrong.

First thing i'd say is the rockport sounds like the tweeter is in open space...disconnected from the cabinet...or better free from the cabinet structure (i'd say the same for the mids and bass to...). Next is better resolution...but even more natural, extended, evenhanded top to bottom and with warmth. Sometimes resolution comes at a price...not in this case. you get better resolution presented in a more natural presentation....kinda of just involves you more emotionally if you will...just effortless...with speed (starting and stopping or just trailing off...)

I know a lot of ink has been spilled on the wilson inverted metal dome tweeters...I never found them agressive, but you do (as with most things) have to pay attention to placement, cables and upstream components. Wilson's tell it like it is...Rockports do to...just in a different signature that I find extremely pleasing and emotionally involving. Hope this helps !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yeah, I love the hardwood reflector/diffusors. Very classy. This is one system I'd love to hear for myself.
Thank you for the compliment !!! Stop by anytime !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi well first....the signatures of the two speakers are different...so one isn't right and the other isn't wrong.

First thing i'd say is the rockport sounds like the tweeter is in open space...disconnected from the cabinet...or better free from the cabinet structure (i'd say the same for the mids and bass to...). Next is better resolution...but even more natural, extended, evenhanded top to bottom and with warmth. Sometimes resolution comes at a price...not in this case. you get better resolution presented in a more natural presentation....kinda of just involves you more emotionally if you will...just effortless...with speed (starting and stopping or just trailing off...)

I know a lot of ink has been spilled on the wilson inverted metal dome tweeters...I never found them agressive, but you do (as with most things) have to pay attention to placement, cables and upstream components. Wilson's tell it like it is...Rockports do to...just in a different signature that I find extremely pleasing and emotionally involving. Hope this helps !

That is very helpful! Thanks and much appreciated. Congrats again.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Any thoughts already on the bass output , sideways firing against frontfiring and 1 15 incher versus 10/ 13 inch ???

greetz hj

Hi very similar to my comments on the tweeter...more resolution...more coherency, you really can't tell the configuration difference...you hear more resolution more depth...better integration...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
would be fair to say then , that you are not missing any aspect of the Maxx 3 , ... image height ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
would be fair to say then , that you are not missing any aspect of the Maxx 3 , ... image height ?

Yes that's very fair to say-not missing any aspect. The image height was one area that I thought the Maxx3's with their driver configuration would be ahead...but alas no...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes that's very fair to say-not missing any aspect. The image height was one area that I thought the Maxx3's with their driver configuration would be ahead...but alas no...

Alas ??

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I went and looked up the word alas=as an exclamation to express sorrow, pity, concern, apprehension. Sorrow no....Pity nope...concern and apprehension...yes, I was apprehensive that the wilson's would be better on this aspect...but alas no...but however not...but not in this case...

hope that helps ;-)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't get comparing a speaker that cost 67K to one that's 100K, even if they were from the same company? Don't get me wrong, it's great that he is enjoying them, but I submit it's a silly comparison... well silly to me. Just my thoughts!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't get comparing a speaker that cost 67K to one that's 100K, even if they were from the same company? Don't get me wrong, it's great that he is enjoying them, but I submit it's a silly comparison... well silly to me. Just my thoughts!

Hey you're entitled to express your opinion..why we're all here! And I do see your point...I think where some of us are coming from...it's not often you get to go from one killer good speaker (like the wilson) to another killer good speaker (like the rockport) in a same room...and really put the differences under a microscope like I (fortunately I should add) got to...

I will say...the Rockport Avior at 30K might have made it a more interesting battle...one that I was actually considering....

I have nothing but total respect for both brands...both make awesome speakers

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I will say...the Rockport Avior at 30K might have made it a more interesting battle...one that I was actually considering....

I had a chance to compare the Aquila (~ $46K) with the MAXX 3 and aside from a very slight edge to the Wilson in dynamic punch the Aquila bettered it otherwise.

I'd be interested to see a direct comparison of the Altair to the X-2 or XLF. I'm willing to bet that it would be a very close race.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing