Siltech Cables

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
He does not seem impressed by power cables in the review. I was considering them... Not the DC but the mountain II.

Not so eli-----"I'll try to sum it up in a few sentences. Its sound – strangely enough, I have the impression that power cords are usually most important in the whole cable system! – is even smoother than that of the interconnect and the speaker cable. "

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not so eli-----"I'll try to sum it up in a few sentences. Its sound – strangely enough, I have the impression that power cords are usually most important in the whole cable system! – is even smoother than that of the interconnect and the speaker cable. "

I still have trouble grasping that claim...that a power cord is more important than speaker or interconnect wire.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks. I was not asking for forum references, just for the paper version.

He doesn't write for any magazine. He is just an audiophile.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He doesn't write for any magazine. He is just an audiophile.

Thanks. Happily our local distributor does not have them in stock - I currently have a Dartzell NH108 driving the X-2!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I still have trouble grasping that claim...that a power cord is more important than speaker or interconnect wire.

I have found that the investment should be consistent between IC, SPKR and AC cables, actually I have found a more profound impact in good AC cables than IC ones assuming all are of equivalent quality. But that is me...

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012

Yes it sounds strange, but that is also what I have seen in the past. The PC, specially those going to power amps, are among the ones that have a greater impact in the whole system, if not the most, together with interconnects up the chain, from source to pre. Yes, considering a more or less balanced system, as mentioned.

It is strange but SC are in my experience, only the third in terms of sonic impact, after amps PC and source to preamp interconnects.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012

Yes, if I read it right, he seems to find a big difference with the PC, maybe the most, when compared to his current set up. That is consistent with my experience re PC impact on the system.

However, he seems to be not 100% happy with such changes and says that he will keep the Mexcell cos is faster and if I read right, more dynamic?

Out of the review, he mentions he would keep the interconnects no doubt, maybe the SC, and the PC he would keep his current.

System specific it is. But i too have a mix of Mexcell and Siltech currently, among other. I want to change PC and some interconnects, and Siltech is my no. One alternative. But i am having trouble since I would mostly have to buy blind. You dont get a change to try these top of the line anywhere really. That is a big problem.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Sorry for the disasterous pic quality ! A flash in my Nokia mobile basicly sucks, and lighting conditions were very poor to start with.

The wooden block is a Harmonix cable elevator:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

This has been my experience too. Power cords alter the sound in a more meaningful and perceptible way than an interconnect or speaker cable, at least on my system, and the setups I've had here.
An incompatible power cord might smear the low frequencies, or worse, diminish them. Or they might blur the high frequencies, or make them grainy and harsh. A compatible cable will fix all that.
In my setup, I've had the best results changing the power cords on my DAC and the amp. My preamp is battery powered, so there's little effect there.

alexandre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This has been my experience too. Power cords alter the sound in a more meaningful and perceptible way than an interconnect or speaker cable, at least on my system, and the setups I've had here.
An incompatible power cord might smear the low frequencies, or worse, diminish them. Or they might blur the high frequencies, or make them grainy and harsh. A compatible cable will fix all that.
In my setup, I've had the best results changing the power cords on my DAC and the amp. My preamp is battery powered, so there's little effect there.

alexandre

IMHO, the biggest effect of power cords is dynamic compression.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Those cable elevators are nice. The ones that come with the SC are very nice as well and considering the weight and their shape and height also I think very efective. But since they are very low I also use 2 more per cable right bellow the metallic part of the cables at both ends to aliviate the considerable weight and stress out of the connectors.

I think your friend may want to consider moving it a bit closer to the SC end right bellow the metal, just before the blue tails? It should give a more stable holding and less stress in the connections, no? Theses SC are heavy specially at the end.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Been reading again the review. Going back to PC, I read sentences like,

...The Ruby Double Crown has a rather dark color, with a sort of "center" between midrange and bass. This gives the sound certain power and weight as well as calm.

...The Acrolink sounds faster by contrast, showing things with more dynamics, without restraint. It lacks somewhat the incredible smoothness and perfect treble color of the Siltech

...I missed some breath and directness, offered in turn by the Acrolink. Hence, on my system the conclusion was: no, not really. Elsewhere, however, it may prove to be the most valuable cable of all the three!

Ozy, or anyone with experience with these, do you recognize what he is saying? Seems he is describing as a warm, weightfull presentation but not the most dynamic one. Seems strange. The Sc are very fast in their presentation in my experience and very extended in the highs.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Eli08,
my findings of the d/c power cords is in stern contrast with the reviewer's-
while the d/c pc indeed presents a weighty and warmish sound, what i find the most appealing is just how quiet and therefore dynamic, these cords sound.
on power amps(the vacs 450s, the burmester 911s, and now the burmester 909s), they manage to reduce the noise floor by a signifcant factor and allow these amps to breath, if you will.
caveat- they take forever and a half to break in.as do all the siltech cables.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok thanks. Do you have experience with SR cower cables? Wonder how these (more the mountain hill) compare with the HA of synergistic.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Don't have any recent expereince with S/R and their current offerings. heard some of their top models in my system 3-4 years ago, and didn't care for them at all. maybe they've improved, or maybe now it is just a variation of the same old-not -so great- theme?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I purchased a pair of Queen interconects at audiogon that I placed from preamp tp amp. They are very nice builded.

Soundwise so far they are very musical with full sound and nice staging with deep and wide presentation. They are I guess what you would call neutral cables. Overall very nice but musicality so far comes at the cost of loosing a bit in speed and extenssion in the highs, when I compare to my other cables. Wonder if going up the line would give that extra there. I

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I purchased a pair of Queen interconects at audiogon that I placed from preamp tp amp. They are very nice builded.

Soundwise so far they are very musical with full sound and nice staging with deep and wide presentation. They are I guess what you would call neutral cables. Overall very nice but musicality so far comes at the cost of loosing a bit in speed and extenssion in the highs, when I compare to my other cables. Wonder if going up the line would give that extra there. I
Congarts ,Eli, excellent choice . The siltechs G7 are in my expereince very neautral sounding with great coherency top to bottom. They may be a tad bit slower then say the speed demons like Argento or Nordost ,but the Siltech's entire package's ,exceeds the sum of its individual parts ,if you will.
ENJOY!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012

Hi Eli,

Funny cause I have also added a Queen G7 RCA to my system around a month ago. Really bested the Snow Lake G5 by a long shot, although I also went from XLR to RCA and this accounts for a SQ improvement with my DartZeel gear.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing