RMAF Best of Show? - $10K NOLA “KO” destroys most regardless of price

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Never though about it. If I had remembered I would not have told my dealer that they were too expensive for me - "Sorry, they do not fit my current cable lifts" would have sounded much better!

I'm just saying the Nordost cables are very unruly in terms of having a neat installation. This has nothing to do with how they sound though except for the OCD audiophiles who must have thier cables on elevators so they don't touch the floor.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Was anyone of the same opinion as me that the show seemed less attended than last year. As well I was somewhat underwhelmed by the whole show and I saw pretty much everything. There were certainly little glimmerings of an occasional good component and speaker but by and large it was pretty vanilla but that's just my take

Yes, I am of the same opinion that attendance was down compared to last year.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hard to say, I thought last year was pretty uncrowded and I had the same impression this year. It certainly did not seem more crowded this year...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You can spin it any way you want..analog stage, digital section...this is a joke.

The SOTA recording studios use ADACs an DACS costing far, far, far, far less because they shop with their ears, not their eyes.

Less than $7k?! Better get an opinion from Bruce on that one...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
especially since he uses a MSB Diamond stack as his pcm digital reference....

With the Femto clock and Diamond Base, the DAC costs $38K.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The "best" for the money that I heard was the $400 AMR phono section. Multiple gain settings, loading values plus 5 EQ curves. Plus small enough to fit under table and reduce the wire length. This got me really excited and brought one home to review!

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I'm just saying the Nordost cables are very unruly in terms of having a neat installation. This has nothing to do with how they sound though except for the OCD audiophiles who must have thier cables on elevators so they don't touch the floor.

Furgit about the cables , were's your investigative report on FMA ...:)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I found it was not that easy to point to a a truly "best sound of the show" this year. To be honest, there were few memorable "best sounds", whereas there were far more "worst sounds". However, unquestionably, one of the most extraordinary demos was the Sanders electrostatic speaker system. I'll tell you this, it may be a "one seat" system, but it has to be the hands down hi-end bargain of the century. 13K buys it all- and that includes speakers, crossover, the incredibly well-reviewed Magtech 500w amp (REG in TAS loves this thing), preamp and cables. It may even include a bow for all I know. As far as speaker cables, I swear Roger must have gone to Radio Shack and asked for something inexpensive to use. When they showed him 18-2 lamp cord, he must have said, "got anything thinner?". I'm telling you, if I didn't hear it I would never have believed it. He played some powerful drum material that knocked me on my ass, in addition to the usual sonic bon bons we typically hear at shows. Extraordinary resolution, transparency, and most import, musicality, at price that can't be touched by anything else, anywhere at anytime. A total and complete mindfk.
Moving up into the upper echelon, the Aesthetix demo on the mezzanine (can't remember the Denver dealer who sponsored the room) was extraordinary. However, that only became clear when they stopped using the zillion dollar Clearaudio turntable and played CD or computer. That's right, you heard it hear first. In fact, the most disappointing thing globally at the show was the often pitiful performance of turntables, in the same booth as a modest CD. Why take a zillion dollar table to a show if it isn't set up well is the question I kept asking myself? But once Jim switched to CD computer material, his modest 8K CD player, and 8K monoblock amps through the Focal Maestro (50K) speakers were magnificent playing Steely Dan and other assorted material. In fact, that room sounded far superior to the more expensive top of the line Focal Grand Utopias running on Solution gear just down the hall. (Does anyone really thing the Solution gear sounds good on anything except Jon Valin?). No need to spend that kind of money folks. The modest (for high end) Aesthetix stuff was superb. Lastly, I am obliged to nominate the Cardas room for "best sound at the show". What, you say? The Cardas room was a dry demo, and there was no sound. Exactly.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Turntables still getting under your skin Marty ? LOL
I think Musical Surroudings (Aesthetix/Clearaudio US Distributor) disagrees with your vinyl versus digital sound quality assessment. Cheers !

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Schröder tonearm was the highlight of the show, in terms of analog gear. Beautifully made, and truly innovative. And hey, just US$ 6k :D

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing