RMAF Best of Show? - $10K NOLA “KO” destroys most regardless of price

caesar

May 30, 2010
As a music lover, I was hitting the hotel carpet pretty hard looking for the handful of speakers that could transport me to that transcendental State of Flow. Now it is very easy to blame the hotel room walls , windows, poor room size, and to come up with other excuses of why speakers sound like crap at shows. But music lovers can easily cut through the malarkey: they are listening to the musical whole rather than to sound. Of course tastes differ. Of course we have had previous experiences have shaped us. Of course, we all have biases. But let’s face it: some designers are just damn better than other in taking the detail and embedding it in the musical whole than others. Some designers are just better at making their speakers sound more natural.

Listening to my own music, such as Quincy Jones’ Walking in Space and Brubeck Live at Carnegie Hall, it was very easy to tell apart a good audiophile speaker from a music lover’s speaker. To me, the Nola KO was an easy winner. Carl’s genius is to capture the music’s realism and naturalness. Yes, the YG was alright. It was very dynamic and its cabinet is quieter by a whole lot, but who cares about that artifact when you want the musical whole? Yes, the $50K Vandersteen, with even more expensive ARC electronics than Carl used, excelled in resolution and other audiophile terms but lacked that magic. The new Wilson speaker with uber expensive dCS was just throwing too much detail into my face, but the Maxx 3 with Yoshi/ Joshi/ Doshi ???? amps was pretty good, yet it seemed that it was still designed for audiophiles looking to check those dreaded terms off their list as they seek that “Deeper Understanding”…The $30K Rockport with BAT and Playback Designs was very good, but did not have the openness that made me let go and forget ...(Great to see BAT with a new amp, by the way, as I was starting to get worried about them.)

If I had to make a decision on the spot of what speaker to live with ove the next 10 years, would I choose the $10K Nola over the MBL 101? No. Out of what I heard, I think MBL was more real sounding and was able to transport the listener in a time machine better than anything at the show -for the same reasons as Carl’s speaker: which is to get that damn speaker out of the musical experience and to fool you into thinking you are at the original event...

Now I know those who believe in “high fidelity” religion will tell us what they like in a matter of time. Nothing wrong with that – as I said, all tastes and goals differ. One man’s paradise is another man’s hell…And with no Magico at RMAF, there will not be Magico Derangement Syndrome on the part of the press, so it will be interesting what the elites will have to say. But the music lover off the street could have walked into the NOLA room, camped out for 3 days, and not missed a whole lot in the show. And for $10k, which is NOT CHUMP CHANGE BY ANY MEANS, the KO outdid many others at multiples of its price and was a clear winner.

I definitely did not hear everything. Any other speakers a music lover may enjoy?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Great review and summary Caesar. I have not been as plussed by the Grands as many, but based on your writing I will make a point of hearing the KO. I am curious of your take on the Sanders Audio Stats. Although they have no dispersion, they have remarkable transportation capabilities in my experience and heard that they were quite good sounding at the show.

Was the Spectral 400 anywhere and did you see the ML Montis by any chance?

BTW, MDS-Magico Derangement Syndrome is priceless.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm not totally sure what your tastes are, but you should hear the Vaughan speakers (just under $10k) and the King III 'stats ($12k). If you move up to ~$16k the Acoustic Zen Crescendos are incredibly musical speakers, and closer to $30k and above there are some amazing new (and some not so new) ones as well. Also a couple at around $20k, GR Research (Serenity Acoustics) SR-7 and a model by Induction Dynamics should be heard.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
caesar,

I believe it is all in what sounds the most real to you, which speakers conveys the music closest to what it sounds like live. To separate what a "music lover" may enjoy from what an "audiophile" may enjoy makes no sense to me. Why be devisive? In my opinion, if you are an "audiophile", you are automatically a music lover. To say that the Maxx 3 was pretty good, dismiss it as an "audiophile" speaker, in order to make your point that the Nola is a "music lover's" speaker is not fair. It would be more fair to just state that you appreciate the Nola more than the Maxx. As a music lover, I find the Maxx 3 to be much more "musical" than the Nola because it sounds more like what real music sounds like, not a romanticised subset of sounds that somehow fit into a "music lover's" speaker.

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar,

I believe it is all in what sounds the most real to you, which speakers conveys the music closest to what it sounds like live. To separate what a "music lover" may enjoy from what an "audiophile" may enjoy makes no sense to me. Why be devisive? In my opinion, if you are an "audiophile", you are automatically a music lover. To say that the Maxx 3 was pretty good, dismiss it as an "audiophile" speaker, in order to make your point that the Nola is a "music lover's" speaker is not fair. It would be more fair to just state that you appreciate the Nola more than the Maxx. As a music lover, I find the Maxx 3 to be much more "musical" than the Nola because it sounds more like what real music sounds like, not a romanticised subset of sounds that somehow fit into a "music lover's" speaker.

I appreciate your perspective, slowGEEZR. I stated that others may and are likely to have different opinions. I also stated my biases and definitions and preferences up front: to me GREAT gear reveals the details as part of the musical whole instead of spotlighting them.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Great review and summary Caesar. I have not been as plussed by the Grands as many, but based on your writing I will make a point of hearing the KO. I am curious of your take on the Sanders Audio Stats. Although they have no dispersion, they have remarkable transportation capabilities in my experience and heard that they were quite good sounding at the show.

Was the Spectral 400 anywhere and did you see the ML Montis by any chance?

BTW, MDS-Magico Derangement Syndrome is priceless.

Mobius, I have spent considerable time with Sanders at other times and I'm very familiar with them and like them a lot. They are very similar in sound to Martin Logan Summits, just from a much smaller company, so there are higher risks to the owner. They are also very open, like the Nolas, and very transparent. The problem I have with stats is the panel -woofer integration. It always sounded to me as the speaker is from a different cloth. Also, stats are not as dynamic as the NOLAs due to laws of physics limiting the panel.

To be fair, NOLA is also as "hodge -podge of drivers" that Carl has integrated very nicely. It will require a closer listen to see if it is bothersome.

Do listen for your self, as always.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought that best deal at the show was indeed Roger Sanders System which for $13K includes the speakers, amplifier and active crossover and had an absolutely killer sound. Only drawback was the flat panels which could be a factor if you sit outside the sweet spot

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I thought that best deal at the show was indeed Roger Sanders System which for $13K includes the speakers, amplifier and active crossover and had an absolutely killer sound. Only drawback was the flat panels which could be a factor if you sit outside the sweet spot

Hi Steve:

I have consistently impressed by the Sanders gear. The workmanship, sound, value, and overall execution are tough to beat.

I found Mr. Sanders impressive as well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Roger has written many informative posts here at WBF. They are worth searching out and reading. His wife Angela posted them here for Roger.

Thanks Steve. I found Sanders to be an excellent presenter and I thought he had a nice personality.

His stuff really, and I mean REALLY makes me question high end speaker pricing. Some of it now seems totally arbitrary. I saw there several new speakers at RMAF for 30K, 40K, 50K, and even more that seemed to bring nothing new to the table.

Does Roger not like computers or is there a reason his wife posts for him?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Angela would always post because he was just too busy.

As for cable in his room he seems to have chosen the thinnest piece of zip cable, in spite of which IMO he had the best sound for $13K which includes amplifier and crossover. FWIW,I understand Robert Green from REG's blog on Yahoo says that this amp is so good that people would be crazy to spend more on any other amp. If bought alone Roger says it costs $5K. That means speakers and crossover are $8K. What a deal.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Angela would always post because he was just too busy.

As for cable in his room he seems to have chosen the thinnest piece of zip cable, in spite of which IMO he had the best sound for $13K which includes amplifier and crossover. FWIW,I understand Robert Green from REG's blog on Yahoo says that this amp is so good that people would be crazy to spend more on any other amp. If bought alone Roger says it costs $5K. That means speakers and crossover are $8K. What a deal.

Gotcha.

I don't doubt the amp is that good. I also heard the speakers with tubes and the results were equally as impressive.

I saw one show report that features his new preamp which if I remember correctly was priced at $4000.

I believe he builds his own cables too.

Again, thus year has had me question the totally arbitrary pricing in the industry. 30k DACs, 35k interconnects, and other absurdities.

Products like the Sanders line really spot light this for me. I believe his system embarrasses others costing 20 x as much. Just my take.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm encouraged by the reports of great sound from equipment not costing more than my car! Hopefully this a a bit of a trend and might in fact encourage those on the sidelines with a love for music and good sound to join the fray. I can only hope!.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing