RMAF Best of Show? - $10K NOLA “KO” destroys most regardless of price

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I only heard the Maestro Utopia / Clearaudio room on Sunday and agree that it sounded better than the same dealer's "big room". The digital file server definitely sounded better than LP's in that room; in most rooms I had no real preference for analog vs. digital (except when the LP's were noisy, which again a surprising number were).

That Maestro Utopia is good competition for the Wilson Alexia; quite a different sonic character but both nice.

Robert

I completely agree with you here. The Maestro was terrific

sMckee

Oct 23, 2011
No bass?

No way the Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge on that turntable had no bass, unless it was defective. Also know that Musical Surroundings would have caught the issue.
I subscribe to the no bass on the LP you heard theory.
I have a Clearaudio Stradivari cartridge and it has thunderous bass when called for.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No way the Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge on that turntable had no bass, unless it was defective. Also know that Musical Surroundings would have caught the issue.
I subscribe to the no bass on the LP you heard theory.
I have a Clearaudio Stradivari cartridge and it has thunderous bass when called for.

The Goldfinger v2 in the Gershman Acoustics room was a knockout. For whatever the reason, there was none of the typical Clearaudio hyperdetail and leanness. The G v.2 just sounded like music. There was plenty of bass there.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Goldfinger v2 in the Gershman Acoustics room was a knockout. For whatever the reason, there was none of the typical Clearaudio hyperdetail and leanness. The G v.2 just sounded like music. There was plenty of bass there.

I agree 100%.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Was that the room with VAC? If so I agree!! I only heard about 2 minutes of it, as the show was closing down, but Clapton on that ClearAudio table sounded like he was IN THE ROOM! Unfortunately, I did not have time to listen to it with my own music, and I'm still bummed about not being able to explore that room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

The Suchy bros have gone warmer the last few years. Come a long way from the "hammer heads" and the original "fingers".

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Was that the room with VAC? If so I agree!! I only heard about 2 minutes of it, as the show was closing down, but Clapton on that ClearAudio table sounded like he was IN THE ROOM! Unfortunately, I did not have time to listen to it with my own music, and I'm still bummed about not being able to explore that room.

Yes.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

With the Black Swan or the new Idol? I had a blast in the Black Swan room listening to both vinyl and CD, and was sorely tempted to buy the show speakers for $30k delivered.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
With the Black Swan or the new Idol? I had a blast in the Black Swan room listening to both vinyl and CD, and was sorely tempted to buy the show speakers for $30k delivered.

Black Swan.

But did you get a chance to hear their new $3000 speaker? Was very good.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

wow - 30K and you are out for shopping! many options out there besides this good speaker.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
wow - 30K and you are out for shopping! many options out there besides this good speaker.

Well, yeah, that's the biggest reason I didn't buy it. OTOH, that's more than 1/3 off, and when a speaker sounds that good at a show you can be pretty sure it can sound at least that good set up at home.

The other reservation I had was how important were the VAC amps in the room's sound.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, yeah, that's the biggest reason I didn't buy it. OTOH, that's more than 1/3 off, and when a speaker sounds that good at a show you can be pretty sure it can sound at least that good set up at home.

The other reservation I had was how important were the VAC amps in the room's sound.

Think the VAC electronics had a lot to do with the sound. Just ask DEV :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing