OPPO and HDCD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
1. Will all of Oppo's line of HDCD enabled products output HDCD decoded digital data via SPDIF?
2. I have an older Oppo DVD playerOPDV971H. Does anyone know if this player is capable of such a feat?

Thank you!

Hey, Welcome to WBF!

1. If the pre/pro or AV receiver connected to their digital SPDIF outputs has an internal HDCD decoder, yes the audio will be playback in full HDCD decoded glory. {If the pre/pro or receiver doesn't have a HDCD decoder, use the stereo analog output of the Oppo players having their own internal HDCD decoders.}

2. Yes, the Oppo DV-971H has the internal HDCD decoder (PMD-100 chip from Pacific Microsonics).

You can see the logo indicated on the upper advertising piece of promotion cardboard ? [HDCD] - Plus it has been confirmed.

It's there, inside ? rectangle larger chip ?

Of course now it is owned by Microsoft.
______

* Your avatar and username look and sound seriously "explosive". Are you related in real life? :D

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
Hey, Welcome to WBF!

1. If the pre/pro or AV receiver connected to their digital SPDIF outputs has an internal HDCD decoder, yes the audio will be playback in full HDCD decoded glory. {If the pre/pro or receiver doesn't have a HDCD decoder, use the stereo analog output of the Oppo players having their own internal HDCD decoders.}

2. Yes, the Oppo DV-971H has the internal HDCD decoder (PMD-100 chip from Pacific Microsonics).

You can see the logo indicated on the upper advertising piece of promotion cardboard ? [HDCD] - Plus it has been confirmed.

It's there, inside ? rectangle larger chip ?

Of course now it is owned by Microsoft.
______

* Your avatar and username look and sound seriously "explosive". Are you related in real life? :D

Thank you for this information! I appreciate the detail of your post, and the time you took to gather that.

My avatar is just a funny picture to me. Your's is MUCH better. :)

My username comes from a phenomenon known as Grattle with Grado headphones. It happens when something get's in between the driver membrane and it's cover. It makes a rattle, hence, Grattle.

I was hoping that the digital out was decoded into 20-bit HDCD. I enjoy listening to the CD's, but I'd like the convenience of ripping them to FLAC or M4a and had hoped to do so with the HDCD goodness baked in. In the past, I've just used an audio interface to record the analog out from the player, which works well, but OCD says that it's not the best possible....so you know. :)

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
Thank you for such a great reply! I appreciate the time and effort spent.

Regarding Avatar/Username, it's a pic that I find funny. The username is taken from the Grado headphone propensity to "rattle" if something becomes trapped between the driver and the driver cover.

Your avatar is MUCH nicer... ;-)

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
One more question - this player has a set of outputs called "mixed". Is this for stereo mixdown? Should this be used for Stereo audio, or should the Front L/R rca outputs be used?

Thanks again!

--D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good morning,

• Manual: https://www.oppodigital.com/support/opdv971h/download/OPDV971H_User_Manual.pdf

- The "mixed" analog stereo output (L/R) is to connect to your TV or to your receiver or preamp or integrated amp.
So yes, connect that pair of stereo outputs to your stereo sound system. [Connection: page 10]
And when playing a CD encoded with HDCD the Oppo 971 will decode it and output it through your stereo sound system.
* See page 28 for the proper analog audio setting that applies to you (normally it is "Stereo"). ...Say to play music CDs, HDCDs.

Note: When using the digital outputs (coaxial or optical), HDCD encoded discs will not be decoded.
For that your receiver or preamp would need to have its own HDCD decoder.
* See page 30 for the proper digital audio setting that applies to you.
- If you have say a receiver with a Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, set the Oppo's digital audio out to "Raw". [Connection: page 11]
- If your preamp or receiver is a stereo one, then set the Oppo 971's digital audio out to "PCM".

Joyous holiday season,

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was hoping that the digital out was decoded into 20-bit HDCD. I enjoy listening to the CD's, but I'd like the convenience of ripping them to FLAC or M4a and had hoped to do so with the HDCD goodness baked in. In the past, I've just used an audio interface to record the analog out from the player, which works well, but OCD says that it's not the best possible....so you know. :)

If you are making digital copies bit-for-bit they'll be HDCD encoded. Then you just need a HDCD decoder to decode your digital HDCD encoded copies.

* I've read it on wiki.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Does anyone know if you play an HDCD on an OPPO with HDCD enabled...using the digital coax out (OPPO as transport only), will that stream have the decoded HDCD data or will it still be encoded requiring the DAC I am plugging into to have HDCD decoding ? Thanks in advance.

dac needs to have hdcd. maybe oppo can find a way via pfm technology in their new series to get this done? do you have a lot of hdcd titles?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Oppo new Series are the UHD/4K BR players. The latest being the UDP-203 (released about two weeks ago). The 205 will follow later around Spring 2017.
And! The 203 doesn't have the HDCD chip, Oppo gave up that feature now, after several years...bummer! So, it becomes less Universal. We are entering a new era... Even streaming is not included...no Netflix, no Vudu magic, ... it keeps SACD and DVD-Audio playability, and of course DVD and BR and 3D, along with UHD BR.

* When playing a HDCD disc, say from an Oppo model 105, 103, 95, 93, 83, 83SE, 70, 71, or most (the majority of) regular CD players...Sony, Rotel, Luxman, Esotheric, Technics, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, dCS, Trinity, etc. from their digital outputs (in the Oppos, with the HDCD set to On or Off), the digital stream will contain the HDCD data. It won't be decoded; you'll need a HDCD decoder...a DAC, receiver, pre/pro equipped with it.

** I know none, zero CD player with internal HDCD decoder (including the Oppos), that can decode HDCD encoded discs from their digital outputs. The only way to decode from that connection is to have a decoder @ the other end. And it doesn't have to be an Oppo player as the source; if you play a HDCD disc from a Sony CD player without an internal HDCD decoder inside that Sony CD player, the audio stream coming out from the Sony's digital optical and coaxial outputs will contain the proper metadata, and if connected to say a pre/pro with a HDCD decoder, the disc will be fully decoded. Without a HDCD decoder in that pre/pro the sound will be good still, but not the best that it could be as if it was decoded...with a larger dynamic range, grandiose splendor in extra "magic touch". ...Better bass, more depth, more presence...overall.

So, using an Oppo like say the 105 as a transport only, or any transport from any manufacturer; you'll be able to enjoy HDCDs fully decoded, ONLY if the DAC, or pre/pro digitally connected to the CD player (Oppo or any other brand), has its own internal HDCD decoder.

Any opposition? :b

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
i honestly don't know if i could ever hear a difference in hdcd and redbook. i think hdcd is 20bit and rb is 16 bit? plus i don't know how many hdcd recordings are around. i can see oppo's decision to x it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are many HDCDs, you can google it for lists. I have over 500 of them.
And when I play them in a player that has a HDCD decoder, or DAC with HDCD decoder; to my ears they sound more dynamic, have more musical "punch", with tighter and more extended bass, better mids, articulation, clarity, shine...better overall presence. In one word (two): Greater involvement.

Oppo omitted it in the new series because of money. Most likely, to save some money, and because most people want a 4K BR player first.
The HDCD chip is not free. Microsoft doesn't give it away.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
http://www.goodwinshighend.com/hdcd.htm
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/where-can-i-find-an-up-to-date-list-of-hdcd-releases.311381/
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=list of all hdcds
_____

"pfm technology" - http://www.playfairmusic.biz/?page_id=598

So, it's like streaming music digitally with all the benefits of the latest/greatest hi-res audio codecs...DSD, XRCD, HDCD, FLAC, WAV, ...@ ultra high resolution...32-bit and up to 768 kHz PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital)?

And you think Oppo can easily implement HDCD using the pfm route? I'll ask them; I'll tell them you told me to ask them. :b
...With direct links (your posts) to support.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
http://www.goodwinshighend.com/hdcd.htm
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/where-can-i-find-an-up-to-date-list-of-hdcd-releases.311381/
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=list of all hdcds
_____

"pfm technology" - http://www.playfairmusic.biz/?page_id=598

So, it's like streaming music digitally with all the benefits of the latest/greatest hi-res audio codecs...DSD, XRCD, HDCD, FLAC, WAV, ...@ ultra high resolution...32-bit and up to 768 kHz PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital)?

And you think Oppo can easily implement HDCD using the pfm route? I'll ask them; I'll tell them you told me to ask them. :b
...With direct links (your posts) to support.

oh my ... pfm is pure fu***** magic. its a joke. oh my ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was just about to ask them (technical question) over @ AVS.
That's where many Oppo beta testers are helping owners of the 203, and potential new owners with questions, like I.
Maybe you just saved my life! :b

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I was just about to ask them (technical question) over @ AVS.
That's where many Oppo beta testers are helping owners of the 203, and potential new owners with questions, like I.
Maybe you just saved my life! :b

I do what i can. i seriously thought you understood what pfm meant? i didn't mean for you to google it and what not.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
so the latest oppo units can't be purchased with HDCD decoding anymore ?

? http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html#how-is-the-udp-203-different-from-the-bdp-103

How is the UDP-203 different from the BDP-103?

These features are subtracted:

• No online services (at product introduction; maybe added later)
• No MHL port
• No illuminated front panel eject button
No HDCD decoding (HDCD digital metadata is still passed through on HDMI)

I do what i can. i seriously thought you understood what pfm meant? i didn't mean for you to google it and what not.

When not certain, in doubt, or not in the knowing; google's my friend.
_______

* Bonus: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Last edited:

Grattle

Dec 27, 2016
To be independent of the playback equipment, I have HDCD decoded the rips of my HDCDs with foobar:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_hdcd
The plugin also enables the display of the presence of HDCD encoding parameters (PE etc.) in the foobar status line. Nice.
Is there any disadvantage to taking this approach?

You have to trust that whomever wrote the software in the foo_hdcd knows what they are doing. I don't think I do. I want to try to a) build a DAC based on the PM-100 or b) use the board from my oppo dvd player to make a DAC, or c) mod my Oppo dvd player to add usb input (would require a usb->i2s sub-board).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing